Wheels of the Union Jack and Tricolore - Oct '21 to March '22

Thanks Michael- PM sent re: Alfetta availability

Hi Richard, your review swayed me to pull the trigger and I think it was the last, a 159M since I did see they had gone out of stock. So glad I did.

cheers
Michael

1 Like

Good on you - glad I got mine when I did .
I see they are working on a Ferrari Barchetta - that is appealing.

The Barchetta does look nice but I wonder about the detail they shown so far. Are pistons and valves necessary in something that would almost certainly be closed. I think I would just assemble the engine block w/o the interior.
cheers
Michael

1 Like

I thought the same . I think their Ford Cosworth DFV has operating crank , pistons and cams but not the valves.
I would not bother with any of that except as an exercise to see how well you could make it work . I don’t think kit would be very durable either, white metal being a bit on the soft side.
I actually am eyeing up their 1/12 Ferrari TR curbside kit .

Here’s a TR kit you maybe interested in, may be more than you want to spend!
https://autorestorations.co.nz/project/ferrari-testa-rossa-representation/
The slide show is worth perusing

cheers
Michael

1 Like

Wow ! Thanks for sharing that . Very impressive work .
I was glad to see a hand beaten aluminum body rathe4 than fiberglass. I wonder what it cost .

Finish line in sight - coolant pipe down left side needs prime and paint. Tamiya would have rubber hoses at both ends bot the real car had hard pipe elbow at front that led inside nose cone until it got close to radiator. Elbow fabricated out of brass tube .
Tamiya also omitted the two lines from the fuel pump at the bottom rear. Left side of the tub . Brass pins set in pump inlet/outlet and hoses added.
remaining are Talbot mirrors , windscreen, final exhaust.

Thanks for looking! RT

3 Likes

OK, I’m off and crawling, whipped the DB 5 out tonight and highlighted the flash.
It’s gonna take me a lot of effort to get close to RDT’s finish on that Lotus. :sweat:

Just for comparison here’s D’s DB 5.

This could take awhile. :wave:

1 Like

Calling this one done. A struggle all the way.
I could have carried it a bit further - rear brake lines missing - another Tamiya oddity as they included the front lines. The windscreen had a sprue gate smack in the middle of the top edge - I polished it out and then broke it in half - sigh …
All in all I learned some things - mostly painting in big scale and working with SMS & Alclad lacquers so a worthwhile effort in that respect. I guess the biggest obstacle was between my ears - with all it’s faults I just didn’t think the kit was worth all the effort. Some things suffer by comparison and I had just finished Tamiya’s RC 166 kit which was excellent in every way. Perhaps my attitude would have been better if I had done the Lotus first - who knows ? Anyway , here it is .

I tried Indycals, Spotmodel and Hiroboy looking for a set of Joel Wilstein handprint decals for the coaming but everyone was sold out - a hot item it seems :wink:
So thanks everyone for the interest and help - now on to the MFH Alfetta!
Cheers- RT

3 Likes

Humble apologies for the delay in replying to your completion post here Richard @RDT1953 , real life has knocked me around for several months now but hopefully I’m back on track to get things moving again.

Great result on your build for all of the pitfalls you have described, it turned out really nicely indeed! Thanks for joining the Group Build, and congratulations on crossing the finish line well in front of the rest of the pack!

Good to hear that you gave the SMS paints a shot as well (the owner of the company is a friend of mine), and I totally agree with you that they perform better with a bit of thinner rather than straight from the bottle. I usually add a few drops of MLT to the airbrush cup before and after adding the paint, so probably about 15-20% thinner in the end. Not particularly scientific about it. Hope it’s ok with you, I will post a couple of your completed images on the SMS User FB page.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Mark, wonderful to see your build out on the bench here mate, looking forward to progress reports coming through!

Cheers, D

Hi Joel!
Having lost my model building mojo some time ago (still looking for it!) returning to this site I find it confusing to navigate and whish the old site format was still active.
Take care all!

2 Likes

Richard,
Great to hear from you as I miss all the old crew that never made the move to the new site. And yes, compared to the old site is can be very confusing at times, but given time you can figure out how to navigate to where you want to get to most of the time.

Sorry to read that your modeling Mojo tank is still on empty, but that does happen to all of us from time to time. Are you still working mostly in metal fabrication these days?

Hope to see you back even as just an old friend from time to time.

joel

1 Like

Progress. Got the front under body installed and most of the sinks and mismatches filled and sanded. Next stop first primer coat.

:wave:

2 Likes

@tinbanger Great to see you still lurking Richard, I hope the new year can bring you back to the bench with renewed enthusiasm. I’m struggling with a few things at the moment and haven’t had much bench time for several months, but I always find it relaxing and motivating to explore the site and see what folks are up to.

This site is definitely a lot more complex than the old site, but you can’t break anything so just spend some time searching around and things will fall into place for you.

Cheers, D

Great to see some more progress Mark, looking forward to the body shots all primered up!

Cheers, D

After getting myself settled into my new house and job in New Brunswick, I’m joining this build very late and hope to have the 2CV finished by the end of March. Always loved this little car when I was in France when I was in my early twenties.

1 Like

Great stuff David, very glad to hear that you are all settled in the new home and role.

Great choice of build as well, classic little French runabout! Looking forward to the first moves in your build.

Cheers, D

Ok, we have passed the half way point in the Group Build here so it’s time for an update and hopefully get some more involvement!

Score card - 1 completed, 4 in progress, 3 yet to fire up.

RDT1953 (Richard) - Lotus 49 (Tamiya kit in 1/12 scale) - COMPLETED

AussieReg (Damian) - Aston Martin DB5 (Doyusha kit in 1:24 scale) - rolling chassis and underside done, interior paintwork and detailing under way, body in primer
md72 (Mark) - Aston Martin DB5 (Airfix kit in 1/32) - body prep work under way
Rod_The-Fixer (Rod) - Lotus 49 1967 (Ebbro kit in 1/20) - cockpit and centre body assembled and painted.
forest1000 (David) - Citroen 2CV Charleston (Revell kit in 1/24) - box opened on the bench

cosimodo (Michael) - Bugatti (MFH kit in 1/12 scale I hope!)
Kpnuts (Ken) - Citroen Traction Avant (1/8 scale) or Fiat Mefistofeles (1/12 scale)
Littorio (Luciano) - TBA

It would be great to see some more builds join in, we still have 3 months to play.

Cheers, D