Where did all this lint come from?

All of a sudden I’m seeing little threads of something. Where did it come from? And how do I stop it?

(And no, I didn’t just get better magnification…)

Remove all textiles from your home including clothes including the ones you are wearing. Switch to latex and leather clothing, it might feel odd at first but you will get used to it. No textiles! Vacuum clean everything, let the dust settle for a few days and vacuum again. Make sure you have the best possible filters on the incoming air supply, depends on how the ventilation of your home is built. Wipe all surfaces with a moist cloth. Take a deep breath and enjoy lint free modelling

5 Likes

I hear the best competition modellers have positive pressure modeling rooms and only model in the nude wearing nothing but a hair net

2 Likes

So it’s you that’s been spying on my man-cave! :laughing:

Oops busted :rofl:

Careful where you spill that superglue…

I’d be more worried about the Xacto knife rolling off the table!

1 Like

Oh, why did I start this thread? You thought I was a model maker but now you think I’m a rabbi?

2 Likes

If the humidity in your home drops below 30%, which can often happen in winter, it creates massive amounts of static electricity. Tiny threads, lint, fuzz, and hairs start sticking to your skin and everything else that can hold a static charge, especially styrene plastic. Get a humidifier for your model room and keep the humidity between 40 - 60% and the problem will go away. You will also have much better and consistent airbrushing results.

5 Likes

With this option the modelling room should be in the basement and be known as “The Dungeon”

Cheers,
C.

2 Likes

Threads, lint, specs… UFO’s thrown-about by the Carpet Monster burping after a hearty meal! :hamburger::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Hi Phil

My solution is to wrap myself in double-sided tape:

It takes a while to put on and remove (be warned - that can be painful) so, obviously, it makes sense to wait until you’ve got a few models to paint together.

I hope this helps.

All the best

Rowan :beer:

2 Likes

FWIW - it’s as @SSGToms Matt describes.

Fighting particle count in the hobby room:
This Grasshopper invoked Kaizen that is making a few “good changes” (Kai = change, Zen = good). Basically it’s competitive strategy of constant improvement.

1. Vacuum the floor, clean the hobby desk, clean out all of the unnecessary junk and find a proper place for it. Wash blinds, clean windows and clean out window sills.

2. Replace all HVAC filters with the highest quality HEPA grade filters available. They help filter the air supply.

3. Qented spray booth. Helps keep particle count down.

4. Monitor humidity in the hobby room. An automatic humidifier helps make that less of a hassle. Aka buy a Humidifier.

5. Treat Your Carpets. Use an anti-static treatment on your carpets and rugs.

6. Rub Dryer Sheets Over Your Upholstery. …

7. Stay Moisturized. Skin particles generate a lot of particle contamination. In clean room environments possibly 75 to 90 percent of the particle contamination.

8. Wear Low-Static Fabrics & Shoes. Welcome to the Clean room attire.

9. Add Baking Soda to Your Laundry.

10. Report back how all of those measures are only marginally effective because there’s a dog :dog2: or cat :cat2: that frequents the hobby room:)

Actually, with good air flow in the hobby room, my Calico cat used sleep on the hobby desk under the warmest light or perch on my shoulder while I was model building with no ill effects of contamination.

Or in my case 4 fluffy cats and a fluffy dog. Not one of my completed models doesn’t have some pet fur stuck in the paint somewhere :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like