Which OD do you use?

Just wondering which one folks are using. At the moment I am stuck with Tamiya spay cans.

1 Like

I have been using Mission Model 024 and I prefer a brown filter over it.

My favorite OD is Tamiya OD cut with around 25% Tamiya Dark Yellow. Still fairly dark, but not so much as out of the bottle. I’ve used Tamiya JGSDF OD as well, which I really like & think it can be used straight from the bottle for a nice effect too.

Damon.

It also depends on the time frame your vehicle represents.

4 Likes

AK Real Colors RC023 Olive Drab No. 9.

1 Like

I have OD from Tamiya, Mr. Color, Real Colors, Mission Models, AK (regular acrylic), MIG, LifeColor and Vallejo and they are all different. I vary them up so my vehicles aren’t all the same hue.

My preferred are the acrylic lacquers like Tamiya, Mr. Color and AK Real Color.

My favorite is still Tamiya OD, but out of the bottle it is way too dark, especially for 1/72. I lighten it with Tamiya Dark Yellow, or Buff, etc, for varying tones, and for different scales. The first time I used OD without lightening it, it looked almost black!
:grinning: :canada:

My 2 cents:
Stick with the Tamiya OD. Then give it a very dry coat (can held at some distance from model) of Tamiya Matte Clear (TS-80)

The matte clear sprayed very dry will give the surface a slightly rough tooth that pigments will scrub into.

I then use pigments (in my case artist’s soft oil pastels) Usually tan for sand and a baby poop dark yellow to represent a darker dust/dirt. I pick up the pigments with a short bristle brush and literally scrub them into the tooth of the Matte Clear.

NO overcoat after that is necessary.

Also I NEVER pick up my models by pinching the sides like I was grabbing a Coke bottle. I pick them up with fingers of each hand under the front and rear edges. Like two twin fork lifts. No point in getting body oils or finger prints on you finished, cherished models.

Everyone’s probably tired of seeing these images but here is some recent work using these techniques. By adjusting the pigments used you can shift the color tone of the OD in any direction desired.

Example: the green canvas tarp on the back of the M3 - that color shade was achieved by applying a yellow ocher pigment, followed by a dark green pigment OVER the original Olive Drab spray paint. That tarp started life as being painted the exact same shade of OD as the tank.

2 Likes

Ok. Thanks everyone.

My truly favorite OD would have been the Model Master’s #1911 (spray can ~ now out of production) for painting early and pre-war US equipment.

It contained just the elements of yellow in the mix that Garrand mentions above. However now that I can use pigments as a filter to shift color tone after painting I give the question very little concern.

Again, as an example, I refer to the tarp strapped to the rear of the M3. It started out the exact same painted shade of OD as the tank.
p.s. I like that I was able to achieve this tonal difference but worry that that particular shade of green looks too modern, like a synthetic cloth material not in use until the Vietnam War era.

Another example of Medium to Heavy Pastel “Dust” weathering over Tamiya OD (rattle can). Also the faded fiberglass hood affect was achieved using an extremely heavy application of a green/white pastel mix.
(Shown here is kit bashed model of Experimental Oshkosh LHS 8x8)

1 Like

This heavily faded Russian green was achieved entirely using a heavy application of a teal green oil pastel (pigment) over a base of Tamiya OD and Tamiya Matte Clear - TS-80. (rattle cans)

Also “dust” pastel weathering on wheels and chassis.

2 Likes

Another example of “color shifting” using oil pastels over a base coat of Tamiya OD and Matte Clear.

1 Like

I like using a Tamiya spray lacquer as a base coat, then after that is gassed out go over it with enamel and acrylics

1 Like

Standard Tamiya Olive Drab, either from the bottle (XF-62) or the can (TS-5).

Tamiya TS-5 Spray (Olive Drab)

Tamiya XF-62 Acrylic.

Tamiya TS-28 Spray (Olive Drab 2)

The Academy M113A1 ACAV is painted in TS-5 and comes out with a slight satin finish, while the Tamiya M4A3(76) Sherman painted in XF-62 comes out straight flat via airbrush. The Dragon M274 Mechanical Mule painted in TS-28 came out much greener than the TS-5, but with the addition of a light mud wash from AK Interactive, came out really good.

I will have to try other OD shades; I have a bottle of AK Real Color in WW2 Dark Olive Drab 41 (RC259) that i might test out. The shade looks more brownish, so it reminds me of the standard OD color used on B-17 bombers in the ETO.

1 Like

I rarely use any base color straight from the bottle.

I like to use different ODs on different builds.

Model Master Acrylic OD 319

Polly Scale US Olive Drab

Mission Models OD 319

Mission Models FS 33070

Gunze Olive Drab (2)

Weathering changes them all, pick what you like.

5 Likes

Is there a rattle can equivlent to the Tamiya early war XF-62 shade of OD?

I miss my Model Masters #1911!

According to my paint app, Tamiya TS-5 or AS-6 is a like a 99.99% match. No other rattle can options in the app that I easily saw.

HTH

1 Like

Thanks Tank!
That info is going to be helpful for sure.

Another “legacy” Tamiya project in the works:
Still using up my last can of MM #1911 on this old but still very nice M-20 kit.