"White Natural Versatile Plastic." ... This is not your Father's Styrene!

Hello all! Thought I’d share a little experience…
So after hours of searching the ‘ShapeWays’ site, I found close to exactly what I was looking for — the item would just need some simple modification, or so I thought…

Upon receiving said item, I got out my tools and began to go at it. The 3D printed part looked great even given a bit of texture. But after about an hour of failed cutting attempts with my finest most delicate razor-saw, my not so finest, snips, pliers and high-speed Dremel, I was beginning to lose my patience. I ultimately cracked through but was left with an unsightly hairy mess which I found nearly impossible to sand or grind away.

As it was, and befitting the title of “cheapskate,” I had opted for the “White Natural Versatile Plastic” (see below) … “Versatile Plastic”… sounds good to me! :thinking:

Think I found my Kryptonite! :boom::hammer:
—mike

1 Like

Yup - the only SW material for our hobby is the Fine Detail Plastic. The “Versatile” rubbish is just powdered nylon that does not play well with modelling tools…

4 Likes

9 Likes

:upside_down_face: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

However, not to spoil the pun here, but the Evergreen Styrene plastic strips ARE exactly what you are looking for!

Just the right mix of strength and flexibility with a near perfect formulation to work well with the popular glue/solvents.

The new white Plastrut material is every bit as good as the Evergreen but I find it not to be a dimensionally correct as the Evergreen.

Many have disagreed with me on the above but I have found it to be true in several cases.

I got a couple of that “White Versatile Plastic” crap models from Shapeways. They had a texture like coarse garnet sandpaper. Trash!! :rage:
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like

I stay away from “WVP”; I ordered a chassis for a lightsaber build (it’s complicated) and the stuff was trash. Had to throw away the chassis and walk away from that build.

When i order anything from Shapeways, I go with the Smooth Fine Detail Plastic (when available). It’s pricier, but it’s worth it.

93ecb58e0c37b34814f1006633fcb194633fcd18_2_375x500

The rear bustle rack and barrel travel lock on my M51 Sherman build were made of Smooth Fine Detail Plastic.

82176d325b10f6c6ddce6ec801a6459e921bd812_2_666x500

It took paint real well and came out great; though it will benefit from a light sanding to remove the molding marks.

2 Likes

I did the same when I upgraded the AFV Club M1126 Stryker ICV to the DVH variant.

The DVH update includes a new nose, lower front glacis and rear fuel cells (everything that is visible).

Compare to this finished kit without the DVH upgrade (not my build).