Who builds 1/32 scale planes anymore?

The last three photos are pre 1991, but in the Hill scheme.

4 Likes

1/32 is my favorite model aircraft scale. 1/48 is my most affordable scale.

3 Likes

I hear ya there Steve! 1/32 aircraft can get beautifully detailed. That’s one of the things that stalled me out on the F-4G build is that I scratched up a ton of improvements into the cockpit, and eventually lost my steam on all the small stuff.
But yes, 1/48 is far more affordable, and as long as your subjects aren’t too big, such as bombers and transports, is far more affordable. Not to mention that 1/48 aircraft can be quite detailed as well.
Doing that level of detail in 1/72 is madness, and my hat is off to any and all who can pull it off!

1 Like

I have Revells 1/32 Fw190A8 on the bench right now and have more planes in the stash, mostly “important” planes, like the P-40, Zero, P-47 or Me109F. I also do 1-350 ships, so good space plsnning is important. I noticed I can squeeze a decade worth of kits into a single 100x150x200 cabinet.

4 Likes

I build only 1/32nd or 1/35th aircraft.
Even as a child it bothered me that my plastic soldiers were a different scale than the vehicles that came in the SAME toy bag!

I stay with 1/32nd because I want my aircraft to be as close in scale as possible to my 1/35th Armor. If possible I would have everything all in the same scale for proper comparison.

2 Likes

Yes indeed. I wish that Tamiya had started their 1/48 armor line back in the 80’s. That’s when I decided to standardize with 1/48 aircraft and 1/35 armor for my collection. But there is hardly any post WWII 1/48 vehicle stuff out there today, so no point in dwelling on that.

Yes me too. I remember Monogram had a good line of 1/32 Armor and vehicles. I wish they would have pursued it. They were really good kits. And I also enjoyed the Shep Paine inserts that were inside the box.

3 Likes

Not sure about the size argument either. I just snapped this picture of my three unfinished projects. The Fw190 is 1/32, the Sabre is 1/48. Thre is difference in size but its not that prohobitive. Also 1/35 armour isnt small either.

1 Like

Look at this, and thats just a “medium” Pz.III.

but tanks and vehicles are rectangular whereas the planes have got wings and stuff sticking out all over the place

Yes, thay can be parked close to each other so that one planes wing can use the space between another planes wing and tail but it will look crowded.
Tanks can be arranged like cars in a parking lot :wink:

1 Like

Weeeell, i dont know my parking skills arent probably the best :smiley: edit sorry for the bad pictures, but You get the point :smile:

4 Likes

And your 1/28 Spandau and ammo box are excellent. As are your Revell seaplane tender parts.

1 Like

I stopped building 1/48 prop aircraft and have moved on to 1/32nd. The detail is better and it is easier to work on a larger scale. I am sticking to 1/48th jets as they are larger aircraft. The drawback is the selection of kits is smaller in 1/32nd scale.

Cheers!!

I do .
Seems like 1/35 scale is gaining some stem as well . I have 4 1/32 ZM Kits . Love the detail of them . Also a few other 1/32 kits .
Would like to see ZM do a couple 1/32 Phantoms !

1 Like

I have the ZM 1/48th early F4E, To me the right size kit. Man the 1/32nd would take some real estate.

2 Likes

I build primarily 1/32-1/35, 1/48 and 1/72. I don’t have a super large place, but if I really like a large kit, I find the room!

I’ve got 3 ZM 1:48 Phantoms #14 F4-G #10 F4-E and #9 F4-J in the stash . Trying to find a #5 F4-S . They are really nice kits !

1 Like