Who makes 5.56 ammo boxes?

The Italeri Modern Battle Accessories set appears to have one, or maybe it’s 40mm. I know the ammunition comes in stripper clips in an ammo box, is that how it was transported in the field?

This might help

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=3979

1 Like

In the British Army 5.56mm comes in quantities of 800 for card board boxed ammunition or 900 in bandoliers but sometimes that can differ and they are supplied in a wooden case. These are packed into a metal ammunition box identical to the ammunition supplied for .50 Browning (50 Cal) and marked appropriately.

1 Like

I ordered direct from Plus Model

5.56 ammo boxes

1 Like

The 5.56mm is packaged in the same size ammo cans as .50 cal. Ammo. The only difference is the markings on and contents of the ammo can itself. 5.56 ammo that I usually saw was packaged in cloth bandoleers, containing cardboard sleeves for each 10 round stripper clip. Ammo cans are then packaged into small wooden crates for transport. When delivered en masse, it usually reaches line units down to company level still in the crate.

1 Like

7,62mm and .50 cal. wirebound boxes are much needed parts in scale. I only know of an old Verlinden set.

Here’s what comes in Legend 30 cal. I’d imagine their 50 and 40s are similar.

1 Like

It depends what you want to do with the boxes. The US Forces have a wide variety of steel ammo boxes. 7.62x51 mm, .50 cal., 20x139 mm, 30x173 mm, 40x46 mm, 60 mm mortar, 81 mm mortar, 120mm to name a few.

1 Like

The only one dedicated 5.56x45 mm boxes are the ones used with the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon.

1 Like

Thanks everyone

thats the way we got them in RVN. Can was painted O.D. with different lettering. Inside was the same card board boxes with 20 round stripper clips. Funny thing was that they didn’t want you to use 20 rounds in a 20 round mag, but 18 rounds. Don’t know anybody who followed that rule.
gary

1 Like

Stick;
we used a much smaller can in RVN. Say 3" wide and maybe twelve to fourteen inches long. They came in crates that had about a dozen cans inside of it. There were three sizes of cans plus a great big one that held about a thousand 50 caliber rounds. Only place you saw that one was ontop of tracks. The small ones seemed to laying every where empty. The 7.62 ones seemed to hold one complete belt of ammo (300 rd. ?) The fifty caliber boxes I avoided like the plague. Everybody that went on the fifty got shot up on the fifty. An interesting note was that a few infantry units (196th etc.) brought the ammo cans out with filled magazines inside them. They simply took the empty ones back to the rear to be filled again. 101st often kept their 7.62 inside a can and hung it off their ruck sack; which I always thought was odd. Still the belts were clean.
gary

1 Like

Bravo 6 does a set with two ammo crates an open one and two cans which are for 5.56 and they come with stenciling for the crates, etc.

Excellent. I waited for this for a long time. have to order a couple of set a.s.a.p.