Who's going to the AMPS Internationals?

Post show report?

1 Like

The show was great, some great pieces that caught my eye in no particular order

5 photo limit, more to come.

2 Likes

I was told by a member of the show crew that the hotel was so happy with the event they wanted us to return for next year.
This one was the big hit and took home the top awards, peoples choice, diorama, & best of show “boys in the hood” by Greg Hanchuk.

3 Likes

Yes Sean it was a fantastic show with some amazing work. Very inspiring for me since it’s been several years since I attended a major armor show. I hope to go to Armorcon in Connecticut this fall.

2 Likes

My club was the host club. Didn’t hear any negatives as I circulated over the 3 days. Hotel asked us to come back next year and the national folks wan us to do an encore in 2025.
Nearly 700 on display. Don’t have a number for how many contestants. Got to meet Matt Toms.
FYI the last photo above was Judges Best of Show.

1 Like

Edited to add more photos of best of show, they didn’t take the first time. I appreciate how the awards ceremony was streamlined to reduce its length but I would’ve like to have placed some of the builds to a name, it was the classic mass exodus once the ceremony was over. Some final shots

2 Likes

This is where I was the previous day, MFCA show in Trevos, PA

3 Likes

Yes I usually go to that show just about every year, couldn’t make it this year because of AMPS; one of the best shows in the country in my opinion. Always come away from that show in awe and so inspired as figures are my second love after armor. Two very close friends of mine were there and sending pics all day Friday and Saturday to keep me updated. Amazing work there!

2 Likes

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. Glad everyone had a good time.

1 Like

Whew! Got home Sunday afternoon and just came down from the “show high” yesterday. What an enormous, spectacular show. The convention room was about the size of a football field, packed full with vendors and tables of models of mind-blowing craftsmanship. I was busily checking nametags looking for Armorama dudes, but only got to meet Dana “DV Sand” @Armorsmith. 700+ model entries, and 700+ entrants and walk-ins. I went a little nuts in the vendor area, spent way too much money, but that’s the fun of it, I think. The Vargas Models table was the busiest, I think, he had half his stock sold by noon Friday. It was like racoons on an open garbage can. People were two deep and cash was flying. He sold out 20 M2A1 Medium Tank kits Thursday night. He was taking reservations from there on. I was lucky enough to get one. I wound up buying 5 Vargas kits - he cut me a sweet deal on them too. There were several good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. We took over The Grateful Goat brew-pub every night when the show closed and man did we party. I think they want us back again, too. I entered 7 models ( I couldn’t go last year, I got Covid the night before the show ) and all of them placed. I came home with 1 bronze, 3 silver and 3 gold in Advanced category, so I was a happy camper. The whole show was a great experience and I got to catch up with a lot of old friends and make some new ones.

5 Likes

Well done Matthew ! Very sorry I couldn’t make it -
3 1/2 hr drive for me one way so too much for one day . Maybe next time .
Cheers- Richard

1 Like

It was an outstanding show. Only my 3rd AMPS national show unfortunately; it’s difficult to get to them sometimes due to work, family, distance etc. congratulations to you Matt on your medals. I thought I heard your name during the awards ceremony, but we didn’t meet I believe. I did ok myself too with 4 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze, and best German. The quality of work was stunning.

3 Likes

Sorry we didn’t get to meet Richard, you were one of the people I was looking for. The competition for best of’s was fierce indeed. Congratulations on your medals and especially your Best German Subject. That was a crowded field and a hard won win. We’ll try to catch up at the next one!

1 Like

Yeah maybe I’ll see you at Armorcon. It’s up in your neck of the woods in october isn’t it?

1 Like

Yes, it’s in Southbury, Connecticut on October 13th and 14th. I’m the show chairman. Been running it for 24 years. I’ll be manning the admission table with a nametag on, you can’t miss me. Hope to see you there!

1 Like

Great yes I hope to see you there as well Matt.

1 Like

I didn’t see it mentioned here but next years AMP’s show will be in South Bend Indiana

2 Likes

To add to what Tom said above. There were many outstanding builds. Chief judge told me there were 31 perfect scores(30/30). Apparently an unheard of number. My T80 was among them so I was up for the best Russian but lost out to another T80. Second time I was up for a best of but just missed it. Third time is the charm as they say so maybe next year. The first time ever I took some figures(2), just for yucks. Warriors figures I did about 10-15 years ago. Actually got a bronze. Blew me away. Congrats Matt on an outstanding showing.
Hotel wanted us to come back next year and AMPS leadership wants us to do it again in 2025.

3 Likes

Interesting. Has AMPS thought about denoting prefect scores on the website? I think it would be interesting to see that data. Maybe just an asterisk * next the gold award.

1 Like

I saw that T-80, it was beautiful. You certainly earned it! Was that a Trumpeter kit?
I took a lot of pics but didn’t happen to see which kit it was on your form.

1 Like