WIP 1/35 Trumpeter PLA type 89 Anti tank gun blog

@huajiachicat the track itself wasn’t short it was pretty snug. It was just tooooo snug on one side and snapped the idler wheel so i had to improvise and move the idler wheel closer to get it to sit right. Unfortunately this makes a great model look ehhh so I’ll be finding a way to do a Dio for it that can hide the blemish.

The same problem with me.

Around 20 years ago I made all three kits from this chassis: the 152mm cannon, 120mm antitank gun and 122mm rocket launcher. They all have the same issue, I don’t know if they ever try to fix this issue for 20 years.

1 Like

@huajiachicat i didn’t realize there was a third kit. I’d be curious to see if they fixed the issue as well or not.

Greg- just wanted to say that the wheels with the white stripe are, as far as I know, usually only used for parades. On exercise they would, I believe, just be the same color as the wheel. That doesn’t mean you have to change them, its your model and your choice- the only reason I mentioned it was because you talked about doing the weathering as if the tank had been on exercise for a while.

I have to agree about the white wheels for parades not field work. For a parade the vehicle would be clean enough to basically eat off of!! The Sgt’s of the world are quite insistent upon the vehicles being properly prepared for any sort of parade. So weathering a parade vehicle nope even oil and fuel stains would be cleaned and they would be kept in their hangers until the time of the parade, just like dress uniforms they have to be perfect or your butt will be in a sling!!

But being your model it’s your decision.

Al Patterson
CP136
Umiujaq, Qc J0M 1Y0

@Karl187 thats good to know, wasn’t aware that the wheel were painted white for parade. I can make that fix easily, thank you!

@Succubus yes the NCO Corp of the world would have a field day with a dirty parade vehicle for sure

1 Like

Working to finish the 12.7 mm AA gun for the turret and also began building the diorama. I used master touch wood painting panel that’s 8x8. A bit small but because it’s a hull defilade position it’ll work. I’ve built up the perimeter of the defilade position with styrofoam, it looks rough but once i waterproof and add plaster it’ll look better. My goal for this diorama is to work on ground detail, id like to do some tall grass/ wheat grass to add some detail to the scene.

Edit: looking for recommendations on grass, i usually use the scenic railway grass that’s sold at hobby lobby but it’s more of a moss grass. Does anyone have any suggestions on wheat grass.
Also, any recommendations on figures, i see that meng has a few tank crew figures but it looks as if they’re on parade. Seems like Pla figures are few between.

3 Likes

Looks like a very promising piece of groundwork Greg. I’m not sure exactly what grass you are talking about- long grasses tend to come in smaller packets and are usually an inch or two in length of varying colors. For basic grass on a large area I tend to use a grass mat- you can get ones for different terrains and they are easy to cut and place. For small bits here and there Fredericus Rex Greenline are hard to beat.

You’ve hit the nail on the head in terms of PLA figs. I don’t know of any that would be suitable for this- most on the market are in ‘parade’ style as you said.

@Karl187 I’ve never used a grad smart before but I’ll give that a look. I was hoping to do tall grass like you’d see on a steppe or prairies. Maybe the equivalent would be a wheat field. I’ll give the matt a look though.

For figures i was looking around, the meng might be the best option and maybe using a figure from dragons Hong Kong Garrison set.