Wow you've got a great figure!

A little bit further, still a way to go

DSC_1068
DSC_1069
DSC_1070
DSC_1071
DSC_1072

6 Likes

Painting Feldgrau on a figure primed in black is weird, kinda hard to see, tbh.

5 Likes

I prime my figures mostly in grey, because I find it’s hard to start on a black figure.
Pre shading I have never used.

I tried to use Night Shift’s method, but it doesn’t seem to be working out for now.

1 Like

His shading method only works on figures with exceptional sculpting. The majority of figures in our scale don’t seem to have that.

1 Like

You’re right, I’m just kinda going by what seems to work now.

1 Like

I have finished the pants, headwear, tunics, and boots. Any suggestions to make them better so far?

6 Likes

Feld grau ?

1. I never paint Germans equal, thy have only in dioramas the same colour.
  2. for small figures adding High lights and shadow are vital to bring out the details.

Just put your colour a little up for the high light and darker for the shadows (the deep folds in the cloths, the rends of the pockets)

6 Likes

I will definitely add highlights after I’m done with the basic colors. I haven’t been quite able to make the color green enough, and the 3 figures I’m working on are in a scene together, so the two machine gunners will have similar colors. I might change the driver’s color. What would be the general color mix for Feldgrau? (I’m mixing the colors myself from artist acrylics). I appreciate the references for the tunics!

I use mid grey, little part green and a very little part blue.
adding black to go down, off white to bring it up, always starting from the basic colour

3 Likes

Boots were black. They can be filthy dirty or not… but they were not totally brown.

For tunic and pants use the various colors provided by @Jan_Degryse.
Keep in mind the general colors changed later in the war as seen by the early tunics in the back row compared to the late war tunics in the front row. So did the pocket design and collar detail.

Your figures appear very dark in the photo. That could be fine for the shadow areas but the remainder should be lighter. Highlights even lighter than that.

Personally, I avoid having tunic and pants match and like to vary the colors from one figure to another even if just a little.

2 Likes

Alright, I read that their boots in ww2 were of brown leather but darkened with polish, the one with lighter boots has smaller boots that are laced, so I figured to make them a bit different than the other two.

1 Like

@ RougePilot. One small suggestion: Try placing a sheet of blank paper behind your subjects when photographing. It should help camera focus and could help with web-viewing as well. :camera_flash: HTH.

—mike

1 Like

Yeah, it could help even for progress shots like these, thanks!

I also need to name these 3 boys, any suggestions?

1 Like

OK, I’m going to try to finish these. I started them early in the campaign and got discouraged by small things - the leftmost guy has a Gewehr 43 and I really wanted him to have a 98K. Thought about ways to make that happen and just couldn’t get motivated. And I didn’t have a flesh palette I really liked. So, I’m back. I intend to finish the two Wehrmacht figures on the left (Alpine) and maybe I’ll finish the SS guy. And I shot this against the backdrop of the paints that will make the flesh palette. Sorry about the crap photo but I think I can get these done in the next two weeks.

3 Likes

Just go for it, you will only get better by doing things.
They don’t looking bad at all.

Still scratching on this one

Searching for some minor improvements, gonna start painting tomorrow I think

4 Likes

I know the WW1 German boots started out natural/brown and were blackened by the individual soldier. Maybe that carried over to WW2? I don’t know. Regardless, there certainly could be some areas on the boots where the blackening is worn revealing the original brown color. Same with the rest of their leather gear. But I’d stay away from the boots having a general brown color.
You can also make them different from soldier to soldier by varying the wear and tear on them. Scuff marks, dirt.

PS. I didn’t notice the laced boots but see them now. Those were also blackened by the individual soldier so could be found in various shades of black and brown. The leggings/gaiters were canvas fabric in a variety of green shades.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll try to give them different weathering. Do you know where I can find reference photos for the gear the soldier carries behind him? I only know the color of the gear on the front, but not the back.

1 Like

This looks like mostly reproduction gear since it’s so minty in condition. Leather gets burnished, stained and darkens. Same with wood handles and web gear though it may show lightened areas from abrasion.

2 Likes