WWII Stenciled Signs... Advice Needed

The following are screenshots from WWII historical film footage depicting the famed ‘Red Ball Express.’ Has anyone got a clew as to what colors were used on the background and lettering of these stenciled signs?

Thank’s in advance.
—mike

TIGHTEN BOLTS (1) . CHECK BATTERY

CHECK FUEL FILTERS . CHECK TIRES

CHECK WIRING . CLEAN SPARK PLUGS

CLEAN WINDSHIELD

Since this would be rear areas and visibility is important, I would say just simple black and white, or maybe OD and white.
Ken.

1 Like

Thank’s Ken, That’s kinda’ what I was thinking.

Another thought: In the film, the signage seems to be swinging slightly. They look like temporary tin plates hung by cords or wire on tree branches and not permanently attached to posts — possibly for quick removal. … I’m guessing.

—mike

Most likely. The routes and conditions were changing constantly.
Ken.

1 Like

To the administrators - what does the red stop sign symbol mean?

Sorry Ken, my bad… That was just me being cutesy with a “stop sign” emoji! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
My route just changed, so I took it down.:laughing:

—mike

OK, it just confused me. You could put a one way sign up, the Red Ball Express was a one-way loop.
Ken.

1 Like

I found a sheet of stencil decals in my stash, so I went ahead and whipped this up…

• Evergreen Sheet Styrene No. 9009, 0.005" (0.13mm) and stripped wire
• Dragon (6362) M21 Mortar Motor Carriage Stencil decals
• Vallejo US Olive Drab Primer (73.608)
• Vallejo Dark Rust (70.302)
• Finished size: H 9mm x W 15mm

Cheers!:beer:
—mike

3 Likes

That looks perfect!
Ken.

Thank’s, Ken! And thank’s again for your help with my little diversionary project! :beer:

—mike

There’s a part of me that want’s to scratch-build all of those signs. … And then there’s this one I’d like for my kitchen wall.

Sure could use a cup right about now! :coffee:
—mike

:laughing: :tumbler_glass:

2 Likes

Not at all certain, but those are my stencils and I’m sticking to them. … And definitely sans-serif. :upside_down_face:
—mike

Sorry mate just feelin’ mischevious after finishing a particularly cheeky bottle of 2016 Barossa Valley Tempranillo - awesome…but my memory’s been nagging me for a while about this thread, maybe I’m thinking M * A * S * H or something?

1 Like

No worries, Tim. Your example is just too…

…chic!

The screen captures relate to WWII field maintenance depots. The clips were borrowed from the film ‘FRANCE ‘44: The Red Ball Express’… time-stamp approx. 35:11 (for reference only).

Though I suppose Hawkeye, in a pinch could have used the same tools for surgery. Haha! :carpentry_saw: :hammer_and_wrench: :wrench:

—mike

1 Like

A snippet from an original color movie (according to the source: https://www.warhistoryonline.com/whotube-2/original-wwii-color-footage-us-army-france-simply-fantastic-watch.html)
Looks pretty white to me:

2 Likes

By the way, found a e-book about the Red Ball Express, so if you want it, give me a PM…

1 Like

So here’s what I came up with for a signpost…

• Bent nail: UTC Ultra Wire, Brassie, 32 gauge, 0.0080"
• Shrubbery: Ammo by Mig (8359) Small Bushes – Autumn
• Paint & weathering: Vallejo New Wood (70.311), Old Wood (70.310), Aged White (71.132), European Dust Wash (76.523), AK Ultra Matte Varnish (AK 183)

This is just a preliminary test. I hope to put some sort of setting together soon.

—mike

1 Like

Would look great next to Pvt Lugnut. :+1:

2 Likes