I like to keep these build log as a way to keep me motivated during a build. I’ve swapped over to 1/16 scale exclusively since taking a break a year ago. I’m starting out with the Takom Panzer I Ausf. A. This kit is nice and detailed in some areas, and seriously lacking in others. Thankfully we can fix the detail issues with 3D printing.
I started with assembling the suspension/running gear. They are made up of 3 parts with some serious molding lines, especially on the leaf springs. This part sucked. The road wheels were all made from 5 parts, but they are pretty nice.
Here is the rear, which attaches to the return roller and one road wheel. These are only dry fitted for now, otherwise painting the wheels will suck later on, imo.
And here is the front, which attaches to two road wheels. The road wheels all have injector pin marks on one side.
Then I got to the suspension coil… It is easily the worst detailed part in the kit, especially in 1/16 scale! So off to the drawing board I went to design a replacement part. Took all my measurements of the kit part, and here it is. There is a left and a right side, be sure not to place them on the wrong sides. The STL file is available here, in case you wish to print your own.
And here it was after a test print, as compared to the kit provided part (in grey). This is a much better improvement, and actually looks like a coil spring.
The one printed in beige resin was my first test print, and it needed some adjustments. The one printed in black resin is the final. So this is where I’ve made it so far. I am hoping to wrap the lower hull up soon.