1:35 Academy Sherman Calliope

Looks like there might be two of them.

Makes sense as I imagine that two would be needed.
I don’t think they were issued to the individual tanks.

1 Like

And is that a skull inside of the open crate (5)?

Yep, you need two, one for each side of the track. I am not sure about WWII, but post war up til today they were issued to individual tanks. You can’t fix/change tracks without them.
Ken

1 Like

My first thought too …

2 Likes

I can’t imagine you’d want to keep a skull in the same box as your food.

I’m guessing it’s just a rag or tarp or something

1 Like

I know of this the hard way…

The open box is a standard C-ration cardboard crate, without the outer wrapper. There are some sets available as printed heavy paper that you fold up. Not sure about ones with cans inside - I think you’d have to make these from plastic rod.

The helmets sit on the lifting lugs. The track tensioning tools are more commonly seen on the fenders or turret-side of the M26 tank, but would have been used on Shermans as well. I agree about the biscuit tin for 4. Not sure what 12 is, but it could be a loosely-stowed sledge hammer - the pickaxe is the only other tool with a straight handle. I wonder if the canvas 2 is a bag covering the top of whatever 11 is, rather than being a displaced MG cover?

Depends on their eating habits :wink:

It could possibly be a gas mask, or random stuff which happens to look like two eyes from a certain angle

1 Like

Do you happen to have a link? I was poking around, found a 1/16 version, but not a 1/35 version

Here’s a resin version but I believe the company is out of business- M26 Track Jack and Mounts, The New TMD 35-1299 (2017)

I’ll do some more googling. Of hand I don’t know the link.

Correct, TMD has closed up the shop.

1 Like

I think the 3D ones in 1:35 are these: https://www.shapeways.com/product/PNPPRGYB7/41-f-2995-280-track-tensioning-fixture?optionId=41110177&li=shops

That looks like the set I have.
:+1:

I was able to replicate most of the details. I used some styrene to make the board, and I had a ration box in one of my spares, which fits nicely.

I scrounged up two helmets and a tow cable as well.

I don’t have any track tools, so I’ve substituted a machine gun tripod for now. I may order some from above, but they are not cheap, so we will see.

Still considering what to do for the biscuit tin, I feel like it’s a shape I’ll be able to scrounge from somewhere, I’ll just have to keep an eye out

4 Likes

Didn’t Tasca do one in one of their sets? There must be somebody on here with a spare to offer…

If someone has one available, that would be awesome. I assume it came with some British tanks?

grumble

. . . And the Calliope piece fell off and shattered when I went to hit it with a can of spray primer.

2 Likes

Ouch! At least it looks fixable.

I agree, that’s fixable.

At least you didn’t drop it on the floor and run over it with your desk chair when you scooted away from the bench to look for it…

5 Likes