1/35 m1a1

That radio shelf was designed to fit the previous generation of radios , I’m guessing the RFM designers may have mis-proportioned their SINCARS to fit the space.

1 Like

Whatever the reason but the sincgars seems definitely stretched out to fill the space of the rack… most of the radio gets buried behind the shelf looking thing so it will be barely visible, here is what i got, i just kinda winged it

3 Likes

Looks pretty good. If you want, you can pick out some more of the details by painting the connectors silver and adding some white to represent the lettering. I also paint the keypad a dark gray color, and the small window above them a gloss clear green.

Also, in the below pic, you will see another wire connection (yellow circle) going from the top radio to the power amp (blue circle) on the left. Disregard the second power amp (red X) and wire connector as the Abrams radio setup (like most) only has one power amp, which gives one long-range and one short-range radio.

1 Like

I was gonna give the radio more detail but you can barely see the thing… i think something was scaled a bit off, or is it really this tight inside

2 Likes

Quick question… what color are the 120mm shell colors?

Yes, it is that tight.

The rounds are combustible aluminum cased, which burns up when fired. The business ends are different colors by type.

After firing, all that ejects is the aft cap with primer tube.

2 Likes

This is coming along great so far.

Wow -
I did not know the casings were combustible aluminum. That’s amazing. Always learning something new on this site.

The casings are some kind of a compressed fiber material, covered with a lacquered aluminum. They are quite fragile, and must be handled with care to avoid having them break open (very bad when this happens)!
And yes, it is very tight in there, with lots of moving parts. Very easy to have body parts smashed or removed.
Ken

Yep, my instructor missing a finger from the ammo door mechanism or so he said, the tank is designed to maim and kill, the who is not important.

5 Likes

4 Likes

I found this if you want to have a go at representing some of the wiring harnesses

1 Like

Wow -is that a round with the propellant casing ripped open ??!! Oops

2 Likes

Yep, with propellant pellets all over the place. Quite a bit of cleanup.

2 Likes

How does a shell rip open inside the tank!?

I think i screwed up… those tubes are the racks, not there actual shell right?

They look like the rounds themselves to me.

1 Like

No idea how it would rip open like that. You’re correct, the kit parts depict the rounds inside protective tubes but I believe they’re aluminum so you’re good.
This photo from Squadron Signal M1 in action shows a dislodged ammo rack in the foreground, note the shell in the top corner tube.

4 Likes

That is some chunky propellant. That stuff makes Retumbo look like sand in comparison.

Is that a SABOT practice round? I ask because the penetrator assembly is blue.

I’ve got a OG 105mm one in my collection of junk.

Cool ! I’ve got this one but don’t know if it’s 105 or 120 mm, wish I had the sabot petals for it.

1 Like

I’ll betcha’ that’s a 120mm, only because it’s longer and skinnier than the 105mm I have.

That a nice collection you’ve got there.

A good buddy of mine was a USMC E8 master blaster and when he retired and left Quantico, he gave me all kinds of stuff he didn’t want to move back home.

The SABOT and the deactivated CHICOM 82mm mortar round next to it are just a couple of the things along an expended M72 LAW tube and an AT4 tube and a bunch of other stuff.

2 Likes