1/35 M35A1 Quad gun truck

Ok thanks.

I’ve been busy this morning…
I scratched the added steel bed according to references out of Evergreen as well as a piece that had broken off while posing the bed door down. I also added chains to it.

I also scratch built a new mount for the M60 as the kit mount was wrong.

5 Likes

That’s really cool, Ezra! :star_struck:

—mike

Thanks Mike! :grin:

Some work done on the quad .50, I added the wires as well as adding a piece of evergreen to the rear armor plate to match the thickness of the rest of the armor.

4 Likes

I saw a land based quad fifty set up similar to where your going a couple times. Your power supply will be an issue, but also easy. Seems like they ran off 24 volts DC, and the truck is 24 volts DC. Just some big black welding cables will get the job done.
gary

AFAIK, on the M55, traverse and elevation are electrically driven, powered by a battery that is charged by the engine driven generator, so there’s no connection to the truck electrical system…

H.P.

You are correct. No idea what Gary is talking about.

Cables will only work if all targets are in the same general direction.
Cables wound around the mounting or twisted into a knot after a few turns will cause issues …

Huh, so are you guys saying the wires are wrong?
I was going off of a picture from this: AFV Club M35A1 Quad Gun 35034 1/35 scale if they are wrong though I can try to remove them.

that’s what I implied by saying 24 volts DC.
gary

No, the firing wires to the guns are correct. No idea what wires Gary is talking about coming from the truck though as there are none. The M55 quad .50 is a self-contained system. Everything it needs to operate is on the trailer.

3 Likes

the first quad fifty I ever saw was on West, and it lacked the generator, but used a generator similar to what every body else used. It was off to one side. They had cables running to the gun itself. Why it was like that I don’t know, but it probably was due to a lack of spares. Where as the pan cake generators where everywhere. As for rotation; they shot a 180 degree arc, but most of the time shot strait out front and out towards the valley. Think about it a minute. All you gotta do is get electricity to the gun itself. How you do it can also be the mother of invention. Not rocket science here
glt

2 Likes

That makes a little more sense in a fixed site only firing in a 180 degree arc. In the back of a truck, external power cables will not work since it has to be able to fire in 360 degrees. As Robin says, the wires would get all tangled pretty quickly.

1 Like

you could count the life span of those generators in hours that were supplied with the M55. Don’t know if it was heat or rain, or whatever. They were junk. The pan cake generators were better, but not a huge amount better. Yet you could easily get a replacement, and you might wait three months for the OEM parts. My unit alone had six generators, and had three running 24/7. Another one was a simple radio message away. Also virtually all mil spec equipment runs off 24 volts DC, so all you needed was a source. The hard part was converting it over to 110 volt AC. How I don’t have a clue, but somebody knew. I stay away from electricity as it hurts you and you can’t see it

3 Likes

There seems to be an echo in here…

Quick question. Does anyone know if the quad .50 would be a slightly different OD then the truck? Because I’m guessing the Nancy truck was a regular M35a1 prior to becoming the gun truck therefore seeing some wear and tear before being paired with the quad .50 which may have been in country for a while and may look slightly faded and chipped. This seem possible?

Sure, that is plausible.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply Gino. I’ll paint them slightly different OD then.

Looks great so far. That M60 MG come with the kit ? Looks great

1 Like

Thanks Rich!
Yes the M60 comes in the kit but the mount is totally wrong so I had to scratch build a new one.

in the late spring of 68 we had to paint all the rust spots and paint chips on the trucks and guns for appease Black Jack. The O.D. paint was a slight different color. It was lighter in color. Even with Black Jack’s two coat minimum, it was still a lighter shade.
glt