1/35 M35A1 Quad gun truck

if I ever get around to building my version of this kit I’d like to paint the gun shield like the general Lee flag from the old tv show the “Dukes of Hazzard”, I’m not sure if on existed or if it’s historically accurate but I just like the idea of it.

2 Likes

Paint and clear coat on and awaiting decals. I painted it with the AMMO Olive drab set.
There are a few flaws here and there but nothing a little weathering cant fix. (hide…)

Wheels are next.
The quad .50 is still unpainted as it will be painted with the trailer.

Does anyone know of a decal set for the dashboard gages?

3 Likes

You mean like this?

1 Like

That’s perfect! Thanks Ryan.

1 Like

It’s coming along great. The Archer decals are really nice and easy to work with. They really add to it.

1 Like

Thanks Gino! Ive been really enjoying the build up to this point. Heres a little summery of what is to come next… I didnt think it was possible to hate a set of decals so much…

There are many photos taken of three or four guns in my unit. I personally painted Warner Brothers cartoon characters on the shield in front of the gunner on them. A guy penciled it in, ad I simply painted it. My gun had Yosemite Sam with the title of Big Boy Pete. There was Pepe and Bugs Bunny. The fourth one, i don’t remember for sure, but it may have been Speedy Gonzalas for a bunch of Hispanic kids. A General saw them once and sent a guy out to take pictures. The characters were roughly 12" x 18" more or less. Confederate flags were fairly common in I-Corp. You saw them on tracks and just hanging on flag poles. We had a flag pole for a weeks or so, and Top’s wife sent a brand new U.S. flag. The next day after hanging it an ARVN Colonel come down and took it down. The replaced it with their flag. I wrapped about three feet of Det Cord around it with a two minute fuse length at two in the morning. Nobody knew who did it, but he owner of the flag pole. I cut the bamboo and dug the hole, so considered it’s fate my choice. Every once in awhile you might see a Texas flag, and even rarer was a California flag. I think my company had one of each, and a half dozen confederat flags

2 Likes

Well… the decals are on, Id like to say they went down very smoothly and nicely but that would be a lie… there were a couple times when I almost got the holy hand grenade to blow thine model to tiny bits…

They also silvered really badly. (I would’ve taken a picture but I was to mad.) But I was saved by a heavy gloss clear coat that seemed to take care of them. I also had to sand them down slightly. So after 3 hours of foul language and crying in a corner from loathing of the decals here is the final result.

I need to sand the “Nancy” decal on the right side a little still.

Thennn when I thought I was done with the horror of the decals I felt like I turned into @justsendit (I mean that in the best possible way) because when I stepped back I was really unhappy with how small the star on the hood was, so half a hour later I had it off and after rummaging through my spares the only star of a suitable size I found was the stars and bars from an ancient 1/48 Monogram P-47 that I had to cut from the star from. The madness is spreading! :laughing:
Once applied it looks pretty good.

Till next time.

4 Likes

That’s loking good, Ezra. :star_struck: Thank your lucky stars! :joy:
—mike

1 Like

Decals looks good to me. Nice job job.

1 Like

Thanks guys!

Mike, I guess you could say I was starstruck with my good luck!

Looking at photos of Nancy I found this interesting detail.
2021_03_29_0mc_Kleki
It seems to be a extra armor plate, so I built it up outa some Evergreen and resin bolts.

Looking at the photos now I may cut 2mm or so off it, it seems to sit to high.

3 Likes

Hi Ezra, All your hard work is really paying off…Looks GREAT!..keep it up.
Cheers,

Thanks Joe!

Painted up the wheels and applied the other armor plate.

Shes starting to look like a truck! :grin:

6 Likes

my go to color for vietnam era gun trucks is a dark od green,i use tamiya for that by mixing xf 58 and x4 blue,expierment with the ratios till you get the shade that suits you,if you look in the constructive feedback section you can see some of my gun trucks and judge for yourself,fwiw.

Very nice!

No doubt too late here, but perhaps for someone else:

The boxes molded on the rear tops of the receivers are the electrical firing solenoids and not the rear sights. The gun firing electrical leads go to those boxes and not to the cylinders that protrude from the rears of the receivers. Those cylinders are actually the recoil buffers.

The photos of the guns on the restored M55’s that show the standard rear sights are incorrect as are the ones that have the solenoid holes plated over.

From the TM :

The Vietnam pics I have logically show top plates solenoids like this one :

H.P.

4 Likes

Thanks for that info guys!

The quad trailer sent by Ken built up.

My goal is to have the trailer and quad painted and decaled tonight.

2 Likes

Quad .50 built painted and placed on Nancy.

I personally think its looking good so far and cant wait to shoot a matt clear coat and start weathering!

13 Likes

Oh yeah! That’ll get the job done! :smiley:

—mike

1 Like

Wow Ezra you work at the speed of light! With that, your work is of a remarkable quality! That guntruck just looks absolutely fantastic! Your scratchbuilding skills are just way too advanced for your age and your finishing skills are amazing. You really are right up there with the advanced old timers. By the time you’re 25 you’ll be an AMPS Master. Congratulations on another outstanding build and I love those markings! :+1: I’d give you 3 beers but you’re too young to drink!

2 Likes