1:35 Tamiya Sdkfz. 2 & Pak 35/36

I have decided to add a bunch of stowage onto the kettenkrad – right now it consists of a camo tarp to cover the gun, a jerrycan, and two ammo containers. I may add some loose weapons later on, it depends on how the rest turns out. I plan on using masking tape as straps this time around.

Looking good if you google kettenrad towing pak 36 there are a ton of images, not sure if any show the thing you want but it appears the plate was up while being towed

1 Like

Yeah, I have a bunch saved in my reference folder, but it is hard to make out what position it was in.

The plate should be up for travelling.

1 Like

Is it forward or backward (relative to the direction of the gun). And how far up, all the way or only perpendicular to the other side?

I will have a look at mine when I get home tonight as I cant remember. I set mine up for travelling. I am pretty sure the bottom half folds underneath towards the gun rear.

1 Like

While looking at the piece from my kit, it seems as if the plate has space to fold up all the way forward. The photos I’ve gathered make it hard to determine though.

1 Like

That one looks like its tilting back yet slightly …

however, this one looks like its tilting forward …

I honestly cant remember without looking at mine … Unless someone else can jump in before then.

1 Like

To be fair, I have been mostly relying on historical/period photos, but the top one might just be like that due to gravity or something. Thank you for offering your help, though.

this one shows only the upper part as visible and to me the hinges look like the bottom plate is folded back under it flat ?

1 Like

Interesting, perhaps it could go both ways? I think folding it forward and locking it there is easier than holding it from the bottom while you lock it in place.

1 Like

This would make sense to me. If it folded forward it strikes me that it would be a tripping or shin bruise hazard. Folding back under seems safer for travel

1 Like

I think this one shows it more clear as being folded back under it flat under the gun

1 Like

I’m proposing that it would be folded forward all the way, not just 90 degrees.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll fold it back, then. (once I finish with the figure I started assembling). Thank you for the help!

Yeah fair enough.

1 Like

There are also a lot of combat images where neither top or bottom plate are even fitted, probably due to being a pain to drop down all the time, or being ripped off when travelling

What is the point of that plate? Is it just to protect the feet/knees of the crew from shrapnel, etc…?

1 Like

probably small arms returning fire I would of thought as its a pretty close quarter type gun, as a crew you would be a lot closer to the enemy than you would want to be

2 Likes

just to confirm the areas I mean. That looks like the plate laying flat towards the rear where the red lines are

1 Like