1:35 Tamiya Sdkfz. 2 & Pak 35/36

yeah, I noticed that.

Main assembly is complete! I will deal with the straps for the stowage later, I still have to think about how one would strap/keep those things on the vehicle.

I’ve set them up in the positions I would like to build the vignette in, with the two soldiers looking at the gun as they pass the Kettenkrad. The soldiers are either going to their posts on the front line or going to the reserve lines for R&R or something (And the gun is being taken in the opposite direction). I might add a crossroads with a sign or something else the driver is focusing on.

As an overall build, it was somewhat technically challenging, especially with the front steering end of the Kettenkrad, and some parts of the gun. I like how well the Kettenkrad kit’s parts fit, both on the vehicle and figures. The gun wasn’t bad for how old the kit was. I liked it more than the Pak 40 (which still has yet to be painted). It was a quick build that took probably an overall 3 hours to assemble on the high end. The figures were very easy to assemble and I enjoyed them. The pieces were to scale and fit properly. I recommend both kits overall as a medium-skill build.

3 Likes

Making straps in-scale is hard, 1 mm is 3.5 cm, and 1mm is kinda hard to cut out. I think that 3.5 cm straps are most in-scale for securing equipment, but I don’t have experience.

Have you tried Tamiya 1mm masking tape ? Should work ok ?

No, I don’t have any. I am making do by cutting strips of regular masking tape.

Here is the current idea for stowage, with a retaining strap on the rails/

1 Like

Also, don’t rule out a thick diameter hemp coloured cotton or similar

I will be using that on my HMS Victory for some rigging rope but I have also used it as tie downs in 1/35…

It doesn’t have to be a purpose made stowage strap. If they don’t have one, troops will just improvise when needs must.

1 Like

You’re right! How would they have tied them, though?

Simple sturdy knots. I have done it a thousand times when tying stuff down on a wagon. We usually used green para cord (500 to 800lb breaking strain). Kept a roll of it on the wagon for the whole troop to use on exercise.

1 Like

Retaining strap is way too wide. Look at the moulded straps on the tarpaulin forward and that’s about where they should be.

In all likelihood, straps wouldn’t be used anyway, unless they were part of the vehicle’s stowage design. equipment was either tied down or secured under a net/tarpaulin.

1 Like

I just want to find a way to keep the jerrycan and the ammo cans in place.

I have finally primed this build. I decided to go with black this time because there are a ton of hard to reach places, so the black will create fake shadows. I will try to follow Night Shift’s tutorial/method for figure painting, as the details on these figures are pretty good.

2 Likes

It’s been a while, but I’ve been focusing on my figures for the Wow, you’ve got a great figure! campaign.

The driver is complete (for the most part)! I assume this will count as my submission to the campaign (please confirm if it counts, whoever is head of the campaign). I might touch him up a bit when I take him off of the cork, but other than maybe touching up the boot soles and some dust, He is complete. I’m happy with the result!

1 Like

I now begin painting the vehicle, but Vallejo 70.806 German Yellow doesn’t seem to be similar to Dunkelgelb. Which of Vallejo’s Model color acrylics would achieve the proper color?

I will try to layer to color, but it seems quite pale compared to the color I expect.

I would say 70.978
https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/model-color-en/dark-yellow-70978/

1 Like

Some real life reference for paint schemes:
Photos by Mike Koenig ~ All Rights Reserved

Ketten

Ketten 2

Ketten2 2

ketten2

ketten7

ketten8

3 Likes

Personally I would not suggest mounting a gas can on the side of the vehicle. Sooner or later you will come to a tight spot you cannot get through because the can makes the vehicle unnecessarily wide.

I’m gonna stick it in the back seat, along with some 3.8 cm ammo boxes which at this point would probably contain some random junk.

1 Like

If the spot is so tight you can’t get a kettenkrad through, then you won’t be able to get much of anything else through either.
Ken

My view, the Ketten is so small that IT CAN get through. I would never criple that advantage by hanging something like a gas can on the side of it.

Similarly, I never cared for them moving the spare tire on the post-war Jeep from the rear to the side after they added the tailgate.
If you do much 4 wheeling at all you will right away know you dont need a tree and branch catcher like that hanging out the side of your vehicle. Sooner or later you will drive between two trees where the car body will fit but the spare tire won’t.

Why ask for trouble?

Large side mount antenna brackets pose the same problem but for some reason the military continues with that bad pratice.

1 Like

First layers of Dunkelgelb are going on! After I finish the Dunkelgelb coats, I will likely go for the leather of the seats or the bare metal of the exposed machinery. Then I will do the tracks, then highlights/ giving some parts some pop. For example, the notek light will be a lighter color, as if it were a replacement part.

Touch-ups on the main coat will be so much easier with Dunkelgelb in a bottle! Vallejo acrylics work great, and are cheap enough for me, with a handy drop-applicator. I’m happy with their paints so far!

3 Likes