Yesterday was the day of scut-work. Overall, the model didn’t undergo any huge changes, but it’s now getting very close to completion!
Work began yesterday on correcting the overspray on the camouflage. I used a fine brush to brush paint around the edges of the pattern so as to give a hard edge, and then covered the entire model in flat clear lacquer from the airbrush. After letting it dry, black panel-liner was applied to the radiators and exhausts. Any excess was dabbed away with turpentine. Decals were then applied, and they went on quite well. I think these may be Cartograf, but I can’t be quite sure. I did this vehicle in the markings of the 1st Company, 42nd Rapid Deployment Regiment (the Bengal Tiger looked cool ). I then began working on the webbing. Many of the Type 16s have special webbing applied on the sides of the hull and turret to hold down foliage used for additional camouflage. I think this is a measure intended to allow crews to quickly use local foliage when preparing for an ambush. Conveniently, Tamiya has moulded to tie-down lugs onto the kit! I use fine thread from Berkshire Junction, which manufactures material for making electrical lines intended for model railways. It works perfectly for this task, as the material looks very “in-scale”, and is incredibly elastic. That way I won’t have to glue any foliage on! I tied knots around the tow points and crew ladders, then stretched the fibres around the tie lugs. Here’s how the model looked at the end of my work:
Well, that’s all for this morning! Take care