1/350 Airfix Type 45 HMS Dragon or is it Dauntless...?

So! I’m going to be a guinea pig, then?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

From those of you who’ve joined me from the old MSW site, you’ll know I’ve been promising/hinting at something modern! Well, here it is: Modern Vessel and modern(ish) kit (2012)…

I’ve had this kit in the stash since 2013, so Maybe it’s time to start… White Ensign are providing the AM and Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats the paints… I build at a glacial speed, so no promises on when I’ll update… Here’s the opening shots… !

Welcome aboard! :grinning:

One thing though… I’m still not sure which ship of the class I’m building…

12 Likes

You know…there just so happens to be a Destroyer campaign going on and a Type 45 Destroyer would be a welcome addition. Plus its a year long campaign…

Just saying :wink:

In all honesty, the only reason I am not doing a Type 45 for that campaign is I couldn’t find a kit for a “reasonable” price.

Lastly, HMS Dragon lets you have a great big DRAGON blazoned on the hull. Its the only choice!

3 Likes

Hi Russ!

So this is my first entry in the new MSW world - great to see you posting your build log here, I’m in, of course, mate!!

I still need to find the time to catch up with many fine builds over in the old MSW, but I did not want to miss the opportunity to ‘request permission to com on board’ here!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Hi Rory! :slightly_smiling_face:

Great to see you over here on the new site!

Soo… I understand you need a Type 45 for the DD campaign? :wink:

hmmm… I’ll see what I can do, but no promises: Usually salty campaigns and I don’t mix too well :crazy_face:

I think you might have your hands full with 4 builds ATM: Maybe not adding another kit to the stash is a good idea :wink:

The Dragon looks fantastic I know, but I’m drawn to D33 and Dauntless… Just has a cool sound to it… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi Jan! :slightly_smiling_face:

Great to see you over here on the brand new and still shiny, new MSW site! :blush:

Yes of course, mate! You are very welcome on board! :slightly_smiling_face:

Should be a nice cruisey voyage, :crossed_fingers:

Love the new emojis BTW…

1 Like

Hi Russ,

Nice choice, that kit is “Fun” to put together, the locating tabs will need a little fettling to get it to kit together.

Will be along for the ride.

Cheers

Si

1 Like

Welcome aboard Si :slight_smile: great to to have you along for the ride :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, heard rumours about the tabs etc, but don’t worry: I’ve a cunning plan :wink:

1 Like

I have pulled up a seat and have the popcorn popping.

Mark :beer: :beer:

1 Like

Cool Russ, good to see you here on the new forum. Looking forward to seeing this beauty coming together… I hope you are dong the HMS Dragon - love that bow marking!

Tim

2 Likes

Will be interesting watching this progress. I was lucky enough to have a look round a 45 (Dauntless) while she was along side in Pompey… (A few of the 45s have spent a very very long time along side in Pompey lol). A mate I worked with knew the EWO and got us a tour for a few hours.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that Russ,

Will be interested to see that.

Cheers

Si

1 Like

Welcome Aboard Mark! Great to have you along! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Tim!

Yep, very keen to check out the new forum, as the old one, whilst great, is starting to reach the end of the road…

I know, the dragon is really tempting… we shall see… :innocent:

Welcome aboard John! :slightly_smiling_face:

Ooo! I’m a bit jealous that you’ve had a tour of the real thing :relaxed:

That was a bonus of having an ex matelot in my section. Before that he was able to get us into HMS Ocean for another tour just as she was getting sold and taken over by the Brazilian navy…that was a very impressive lump of metal… Have you decided on which 45 it’s going to be ?

1 Like

Hi John…

no decision as yet… Figure I’ve got a bit of time up my sleeve as they’re a class of ship with few differences really… Still, I like the sound of D33 HMS Dauntless :slightly_smiling_face:

Not that I am trying to sway you but… :grin:

3 Likes

OK, I’ll take a shot at this new format. Here’s my entry. 1/700 Shanghai Dragon USS Arleigh Burke DDG 51.

Second attempt at a tin can in over 20 years. Maybe this one will get finished. :wave:

2 Likes

Haha! Nice one Rory… Tempting, very Tempting :grin:

MD72, great to see you joining in the Tin Can Sailor Campaign :grin: