1/350 Airfix Type 45 HMS Dragon or is it Dauntless...?

Ok, for those interested in such things I’ve cracked open the box and upon inhaling all that fresh styrene (the bags have been sealed until now) the contents look really good: There’s 5 sprues in all and nothing that seems overly complicated

next stop: the laundry sink for a bath :innocent:

3 Likes

Doh, followed the wrong link and posted an unrelated item. Sorry about that. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

All good Mark :slightly_smiling_face:

Meanwhile, great to have you dropping by… :slightly_smiling_face:

Russell,

I am definitely along for the ride :grinning: Can’t wait to see which ship you decide to build.

Dave

1 Like

Great to have you on board for the ride Dave :slightly_smiling_face:

Its a strange thing how tastes change over the years. When the Type 45 was first launched I couldn’t stand it. That stupid mast was hideous, the bridge too angular etc etc.

Yet now I love the lines of these ships and there is something about that style of mast that appeals. I love them on the San Antonio class LPD’s. The new style (USS Fort Lauderdale) which doesn’t have the mast just looks wrong.

Same goes for the Arleigh Burkes. 10+ years ago I really didn’t like their lines. Now I have 4 AB’s and their derivatives in my stash and love them to bits.

All that to say, I reeeeeaaaaalllly want this kit :grin:

1 Like

I hear ya, Rory :slightly_smiling_face:

When the 45 first launched, I was like, meh, but then after seeing the kit in store and picking one up, it’s sure grown on me :shushing_face:

Hi Russ!

Looks like a nice bunch of styrene! :smiley: I’m at the same point with my next build today, cut all the bags and gave the sprues a nice lukewarm bath…

Let’s go for another glacier race, shall we, mate?

Looking forward to your build!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Keeping my eye peeled for a new blog to appear, mate :wink:

PS love the profile picture :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well it’s high time I showed up with a bit of progress on this one…

After analyzing the kit, the instructions and reviewing other builds around the net, I thought, it would be best to stray far and wide from the build method as suggested by the instructions

Something tells me there’s going to be a lot of filler in my future followed by copious sanding! :crazy_face:
Still, this is what model making is all about!

A little bit more fettling and fine tuning of the fit and I’m sure it’ll go together quite nicely!

Now, to decide whether or not to apply the same method to the Vertical Launch System and the hangar deck! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Russell - now that is some intense destruction of a kit but with great results. Love when the manufacturers over think the building process and cause greater frustration than is necessary!!

Great work - looking to see what other modifications you make.

David

1 Like

Over-engineering at its best. Still, fixing flubs like this is easier than outright scratchbuilding!

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hi Russ,

good to see some progress here!
Well, that looks like a good idea by Airfix, to provide support for the superstructures, but VERY poorly executed, as if they got their material strength wrong in their CAD or forgot it entirely for the walls… But great recovery on your part! And it very well looks like quite q bit filling and sanding…

Looking forward to your progress, mate, and may the glaciers run!

Cheers
Jan

2 Likes

Thanks guys, for all the kind comments and support :slightly_smiling_face:
Not sure what the designer of the kit was thinking: when you want to build a box around a box the tolerances need to be absolutely spot on! And that’s very difficult to achieve in plastic especially in the low cost hobby industry :thinking:

2 Likes

You are braver than I that’s for sure.

Keeping an eye on your progress. Good knowledge for when I eventually grab and build one of these.

1 Like

Russell, following along, I’ve not seen a build of a Type 45 and as the is one sitting in the stash what better way of seeing how it all goes together than watching a master at work :slightly_smiling_face:

Over here in the UK we had a TV series following HMS Duncan on several deployment including into the Black Sea were she was buzzed by Russian aircraft and repeated warned them about the power of her sensors/radar causing them damage!

https://www.channel5.com/show/warship-life-at-sea/

2 Likes

Thanks Rory :slightly_smiling_face:

Don’t let it fool you though: with some careful planning and cutting, it’s a surprisingly straight forward fix :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Littorio :blush: great to see you over here at the new site and to have you following along!

Thankyou for your kind words: I’m not sure I’m a master, but I’ll try to do my best :slightly_smiling_face: the kit is classic Airfix, great raw material, but little quirks to keep the build interesting…

Thankyou for the link to the BBC documentary… I’ll have to see if it will let me watch it here :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello and Happy New Year folks! :blush:

Back on with the Type 45 now the Gloster Gladiator build has wrapped for the Bi-planes campaign

Final stage of modifying the construction is to cut open the Vertical Launch System box and construct it off deck

Onto final preps now ready to paint the deck to construct the Hangar… :crazy_face:

Thanks for looking…

5 Likes

Progress! Welcome back to the wet side of things :slight_smile:

1 Like