1/350 Airfix Type 45 HMS Dragon or is it Dauntless...?

Friends, time for an update…

First up, I wanted to add the deck marking decals before fitting all the deck houses, this meant using the break water to locate the circular marking around the forward gun… but, oh, Airfix!

And, literally, the water was boiling in a pot on the stove, in order to get the plastic to soften enough to bend it back to the correct shape.

And today, I had rather a productive day today, as I had a few hours to myself, kids at school, etc… :innocent:

to get to this point was no easy road: almost every component needed fettling and adjusting to get a neat fit.

I suspect that now the journey will progress somewhat more easily and quickly as the number of plastic parts remaining, I could count on one hand! Only the PE masts, railings and yard arms remain…

Look out glacier! I’m coming for you! :grin:

10 Likes

That my friends is a great return for value for money lol … almost as good as the Ajax system lol

The build is coming along very nicely Russ with some delicate attention to the small detailing that is needed.

2 Likes

LoL! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The funding certainly wasn’t what it should have been to avoid the staff shortages that caused her to be laid up for so long :face_with_spiral_eyes:

PS thankyou for the kind words John-certainly keeps the motivation to finish high :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Russ, she’s really coming together now! I’ve occasionally had builds like this too where structures and assemblies that should be straightforward end up being challenges because the @#*%$&! kit seems to want to fight you all the way! Your building talent, and, perhaps more importantly, your impressive persistence, are clearly winning the day… soon Dauntless will take her place alongside your other beautiful creations and her obstinate resistance will be but a memory!

2 Likes

Good progress on your Dauntless, Russ! :+1:
But your work bench is far too clean!!! :grin:

2 Likes

Thankyou Torsten… :cowboy_hat_face:

Ah yes, the clean workbench: well it kinda doubles as the home office too so cleaned down after each session :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thankyou Tim :slightly_smiling_face:

She’s certainly been a challenging build that’s for sure, but having the support of fellow model ship wrights and your kind words of encouragement keeps the motivation up to see the build through to the finish :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

That glacier is almost running now, mate!
Now she’s really looking like a Type 45 destroyer, great to see things coming together!
HMS Dauntless will definitely be a proud addition to your fleet very soon! Great work overcoming so many obstacles on the way, Russ!
Looking forward to a not-too-far-out commissioning!

Cheers
Jan

2 Likes

Thank you Jan :slightly_smiling_face:

Always great to have the support of fellow model ship wrights to help push through the more difficult builds. There’s a sense of relief now that the majority of the plastic is done with and can move onto the more friendly after market components :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Looking really good Russ,

I still have nightmares about this kit, from my build several years ago. :ghost:

Great job on a real beast, have got the beers on ice for the commissioning :beers: :beers:

Cheers, Si

2 Likes

Thank you Si :slightly_smiling_face:

Truly this is a difficult kit to build and not for Airfix’s target audience, if you know what I mean :innocent:

With literally only 6 plastic parts left (4 for the break waters and 2 for the lynx) and the rest to be replaced by AM (weapons fit out, railings and aerials) things are looking up :slightly_smiling_face:

With the effort this build has required, I’m starting to doubt my choices of the next 4 planned builds, all Airfix, 1/72 a/c: Swordfish; Be2c; Eindecker; and a pair of Typhoons… Maybe I need a cleansing Eduard or Special Hobby build? :thinking:

1 Like

Tamiya shake and bake Russell - soul cleansing epiphany… LOL

2 Likes

Well, I’ve been trying to get my hands on Tamiya’s P-47 and F4u kits for a while now, but, examples are thin on the ground here ATM :pleading_face:

1 Like

Built the first of the AM replacements tonight, the Veteran Phalanx CIWS… and for kicks the Airfix parts for comparison

:slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

:scream::fearful::face_vomiting: Those are horrific. Barely even looks like a phalanx.

2 Likes

But way easier to paint :crazy_face: I’ve no idea how I’m going to mask up the Veteran sets :pleading_face:

1 Like

This shouldn´t be too difficult to make as these close in defense weapons seems to get painted plain gray at the lower body and white at the zylindrical upper dome. My suggestion would be: Spraypaint everything in grey and paint the white color by hand with a small brush. After drying you can bring out the details with a black acrylic wash. Should look great after all :+1:

2 Likes

Just catching up again Russ. Real nice work so far. You could try to use the thin Azumi Tape for your Paintwork…Cheers Mark

2 Likes

Friends, a brief Sunday update as Dauntless starts to get her teeth…

It’s come to my attention that my tin of Colourcoats RN grey is starting to skin over, so if I want to avoid buying another that I’ll only use a tiny percentage of, I’d better get a move on :grin:

9 Likes

Looks great. Your hard work is paying serous dividends.

2 Likes