1/350 Airfix Type 45 HMS Dragon or is it Dauntless...?

Ditto! Welcome back.

1 Like

Hi mate,

great to see you back working on your Type 45! Looks good - looking forward for more!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Hi all :slightly_smiling_face:

Just a quick update to say that first paint is ready to go on the deck and hangar walls.

Carrying over my practice from aircraft modelling I’ve masked the mating areas so as there’s no glue to remove or thickness of paint affecting assembly

This is a bit of unusual assembly/paint sequence as I would normally have the hull and deck assembled prior to paint, but since the hangar deck needs to be done first… :thinking:

4 Likes

Ok, so, time for a little bit of fun in the form of a general knowledge investigative quiz. :cowboy_hat_face::face_with_monocle:

I’ve decided on which ship of the class I’m going to build, but who can guess which one it will be and why I chose it? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hint: All the ships I’ve built in the last few years and in my stash are linked in some way; the ship I’ve chosen to build is linked to my all time favourite ship… Let’s see who can follow the trail and figure out the connection… :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Have to think about that one - my first idea didn’t bring up any good results… :thinking:

1 Like

I think you are going for HMS Duncan, named after the Viscount Adam Duncan.

I believe the link is that King George IV and Prinz Eugen are names linked to royalty and aristocracy so in that vein.

King - Prinz - Viscount

2 Likes

Hi Russell,

Will be following this build with interest as I have this kit in my stash, along with a Trumpeter Type 23 frigate, :slightly_smiling_face:, but have never built a ship in any scale, :roll_eyes:.

I can see Devonport from where I live, which is home to the Type 23, but we often have HMS Dragon staying over.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

1 Like

@McRunty Sorry Rory, good try, but not correct… But you’re on the right track looking for a link to HMS KGV :wink:

@G-man69 Welcome aboard G, good to have you along for the ride :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Anti slip deck grey down :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Ok, still not on the right track…I was thinking of a ship with wingy things on top that’s not released (yet?)… Link to KGV… good challenge. Have to think about this one.

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Really nice build Russell.
Often wondered how this went together. Will be watching.

1 Like

@JJ1973 ahh, I know the ship to which you refer, Jan :wink: but KGV is the link: is it time for another hint?

@phantom_phanatic Thankyou Stephen :slightly_smiling_face: yes it’s an unusual construction method but I can see the logic in it as the design of the ship is rather unusual when compared to older vessels :cowboy_hat_face:

Well, I haven’t had to mask up a deck in a very long time: the change from older ships with teaked decks to modern ships with non slip deck paint changes things somewhat :crazy_face:

And the masking removed after painting

Next I’ll apply a clear gloss to not only allow me to apply the decal to the deck before closing the hangar up, but to afford the deck a bit more protection as I build up the hull :blush:

time for a hint to continue the fun. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: So the ship I’ll build is related to HMS KGV, the link is not a time, event or person. It is instead a place! :shushing_face: The place is significant to both ships, but for different reasons… :thinking:

4 Likes

Honestly, this one is not so easy / obvious. I looked through the history of all seven ships, KGV and the six Darings. so here’s the best I can offer: HMS Dauntless - Newcastle upon Tyne. If that’s wrong I’d ask for another hint :thinking: :nerd_face:

1 Like

And very nice progress on your, well - Dauntless? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Superb deductions my friend! You have it! :grinning:
Indeed I’ll be building HMS Dauntless, D33!!
KGV was built at Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Dauntless is affiliated with Newcastle-upon-Tyne!
It’s a slim link I know, but I’m going with it :see_no_evil:

Well done Jan! :slightly_smiling_face:

Back to building! :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

…so you are Daring to call your Diamond Defender Dragon HMS Dauntless, neglecting Viscount Duncan? Ahhh…disregard that… :crazy_face: :roll_eyes: :speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

Hi Russell,

I mentioned in an earlier post that I often see HMS Dragon from my garden when she drops in to Devonport, well the picture below was taken at around 13:00hrs today, :slightly_smiling_face:

A nice sunny day here for a change, and the first BBQ of 2021, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

4 Likes

Did she get towed there from Pompey lol … theres usually something wrong with them :grin:

1 Like

Probably John, I seem to recall some had to have holes cut in the side…not a good things for ships, :roll_eyes:…so they could have new engines installed…I’m no expert, but shouldn’t/wouldn’t that need be designed in, :thinking:?

It would be like buying a humvee and fitting it with a mini’s bonnet, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

G

1 Like