1/35th scale Tamiya 25 Pounder Field gun and Limber with eduard PE set

I’ll be building this as part of a larger project to go with the Gecko Mk2 Quad, But first the gun and Limber, I’ll be building it as in transit, with the rotary base wheel jacked up and locked ready to hit the road… when I build a road, that is.

I’m building the Gun with the PE set from Ed.

11 Likes

Sweet!

We don’t have enough artillery builds. I very mych look forward to following along. I bet just the PE gun shield will help elevate the dear old Tamiya kit to the next level.

3 Likes

Yeah I built this old old Tamiya kit and it was a pleasure.
J

2 Likes

Cheers Guys, the closed trail is the first area for PE parts.

bending these hugh PE parts is a pleasure compared to those 1/700 Bismarck PE parts I’m also currently building.

sanding off the trail leg of the spikes and their housings

the Spikes and their PE housings fitted.

lots still to do here on the trail, closing up and clamping the main trail kit parts.

8 Likes

wing attached to the trail, it looks as if the original mount point is further forward, but it’s in the optimum position.

4 Likes

two spring clips on the underside of the trail legs, part of the turn table wheel holding system.

The sight box has a frame for the trail leg, the kit part has the frame sanded off.

The two together.

6 Likes

Picked up 3 of these jewels a few years ago for $10 each. With the PE set and other aftermarket magic, you can get a very worthy build out of this kit. Not bad for a 50-year-old kit (released in 1974). I’ll follow your build, so keep us informed of your additions.

5 Likes

two small housings on top of the trail. They replace the solid block mouldings.

where PE works best, giving a hollow box form, the one on the left needs adjustment. Close ups are a real exposure of my mistakes.

the sight box clamped to the forward trail as the glue dries.

5 Likes

1974 wow, didn’t know it pre dated the M3A2 Halftrack that I built first back then, it is a great kit Jack, I’m really into this build, it’s great fun. The Ford Quad was the only one you could get for a while until the Canadian Quad came on the market from Max, probably shortly after Tamiya, that would make a nice line up with the three in one display, the Canadian Military Pattern, Ford and the Gecko Morris.

5 Likes

I also had the Airfix/Tomy/Peerless versions of the CMP/QGT, back in the day. They all had their merits when nothing else was available. As far as I’m concerned, they still do.

3 Likes

The PE set for the Tamiya Ford Quad FGT is especially pleasant to fit, the front bumper is such an improvement, from clunky thick mould to a nice thin bent piece of brass channel. One of those sets that’s really worth every penny.

1 Like

the crew gun handling bars made from stretched sprue.

the rivet strips are a particularly fiddley fit, I found anchoring the strip in the centre with superglue, let that harden.

then glue the loose ends down into place using a clamp till it dries in place. One glue spot at a time, like spot welding in slow motion.

The Gun Shield has a lot of parts to bend and fit on there, the mounts need sanding to allow a flush fit, coming up

9 Likes

more PE fitted to the inside surface of the gun shield.

9 Likes

Looking good!

3 Likes

The PE set provides a alternative open or closed visor part for the inside surface of the shield.

it replaces this thick, overscale and toylike kit part.

the PE part is far more scale and a lot more subtle.

7 Likes

the detail fitted for the front of the shield.

the rotary base wheel fitted early on to the underside of the trail.

9 Likes

Damn this PE looks incredible. Lifts this old codger into a whole different realm of kit!

2 Likes

It really makes a difference doesn’t it.

4 Likes

That’s the gun assembled, almost a shame to cover up all the brass with a light coat of primer.

next up, the Ammo Limber.

14 Likes

Nicely done! What are you using for adhesive for the PE to PE - solder? Thin CA, Medium CA, Black CA? Gator Grip? I’m not seeing any residue on the joints. Very clean work.

4 Likes