1/48 Tamiya Me 262-Completed Cockpit-03/21

Thanks buddy. I really appreciate that.

Been out of pocket for a couple of weeks. Some of you know but I lost a very good friend and it’s been slow getting back to some state of normalcy. I’ve been making a bit of a comeback to the forum world and I know he’d want me to get back at it as he always liked to see my builds so …here I am with a finish.

I’ve been wanting to build this aircraft for a very long time and have had two in my stash. I really wished I wouldn’t have gotten rid of my Dragon Me-262A-1a Nachtjager version but this Tamiya A-1 kit was a good kit to build. I had set out to build Franz Stigler’s plane from JV-44 late in the war. I read Adam Makos’ book , A Higher Call several years ago and he was one of the main people that the story centered around. Long story short…he was going to shoot down a severely shot up B-17 and decided to lead them out of Germany instead. Afterwards he was assigned to JV-44 (pretty much Germany’s last remaining fully operational air defense unit which was made up of the very best remaining fighter pilots) where he flew this aircraft. If you haven’t read this book I won’t give anything away but I’ll just say that is a very powerful read.

There are a couple of schemes that could’ve been his bird but this is the one here that I went with as it just looks so dang cool…

I used Vallejo acrylics to replicate the paint and went with Eagle Cals for 95% of the markings and Peddinghaus for the #3 numerals on the side. Note…never use the Peddinhaus offerings. Other than the #3 the stencils and other markings were just way out of scale. I had some trouble with the windscreen and I managed to just pop it off cleanly after these pictures were taken. Funny how pictures bring out the obvious things. I sanded the bottom of the edges and cleaned up the fit alot. Glad it was that easy…it doesn’t always go that way. lol

Anyhow…after 6+ months…here is the completed build:

9 Likes

Very nice indeed ! What’s next?

1 Like

Looks stunning Joseph, really good finish and excellent build log.
tim :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks RDT!!

'Preciate that Tim! Had alot of fun building this one.

Super build Joseph, really nice work! The 262 is one of my favorite airframes and I have really enjoyed following your build here, many thanks for sharing.

I’m really sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, but I’m sure you will remember him fondly when you are at the bench. I lost my father 4 years ago and I have one of the last kits he built close by to my workspace, it gives me comfort and many great memories.

Cheers, D

1 Like

'Preciate that D.

I did have alot of fun with this one and it did go together quite easily even with the AM additions.

I also thank you for the comments about Tommy. As the days go on it gets a little easier but I’m gonna miss him for sure.

1 Like

@mustang1989 Sorry to hear of your loss, however, I am glad to see you over here. Talk more soon, Joel.

great work on the 262 joseph. one of my favorite aircraft and one of my favorite books.some so called experts say it didn’t happen but i don’t believe them.
I built his North Afrika 109

33861546018_0d5200b19e_z
47738739091_afd68b6b88_z
i believe in the book that 262 you built ended up crashing on takoff when loaned to a less experienced pilot.
I’m finishing up a 262 jabo myself right now, went with the hobbyboss kit because of price and it is comparable to tamiya. i am adding wing slats made originally for the tamiya kit.
sorry to hear about your friend, my sympathies to you and his family.

joe

4 Likes

World class my brother… world class!!!

1 Like

an absolutely world class build sir, I don’t know how I missed this one.

2 Likes

Thanks you guys. I’ve got another aircraft build in que. Looks to be my biggest build in a long time.