1/72 HMCS Snowberry (K-166) Flower class Corvette

I mean this pic of the snowberry shows it with no platforms so Im slightly more inclined to think none is more accurate.

1 Like

You have images from back in the day showing her without the platforms.
Those pictures could be from very early in her career and she might have been given platforms in 1944.
The problem with ships is that they keep getting upgraded/modified so a model of a ship needs to be fixated in time. Photos and drawings from before the chosen date or long after the chosen date can be ā€œinaccurateā€ in that they show the appearance at another point in time.

HMCS Agassiz:

also HMCS Agassiz (same ship but earlier)
bild

1 Like

Right I see what you mean big difference, I think a good example of a major refit is the 1942 USS Kidd fletcher class destroyer to how it looked in 1945.

1 Like

Interesting site, but I noticed some errors.
my father served almost 3 years on HMCS Snowberry. For some reason it lists his service to August 1943. He joined the ship in 1941 as a Sub Lieutenant and left in February 1944 as a full Lietenant and promoted to Lietenant Commander.
He was the gunnery officer when the ship helped sink U536 in November, 1943.
Iā€™ve got photos, memorabilia I can post if anyone is interested

1 Like

Yah that would be pretty cool! Post away! :grinning:

1 Like

Ezra - not much I can add as I am unfamiliar with the Corvette Class ships but to echo the generic comment regard ship modifications - depending on your desire for historical accuracy it is critical to select a point in time - as others have said all ships go through modifications throughout their service life, especially during WWII as new technology and new techniques become available. I always try to find a copy of plans for the ship that I am working - ā€œThe Floating Drydockā€ is a good source for US ships and some Foreign ships. No HMCS Snowberry plans unfortunately.

Based on what you have done with the Gato I canā€™t wait to see what you do with this build -

David

1 Like

Ezra,
Here is a site dedicated to the Flower Class Corvettesā€¦lots of INFO.
Might help answer some of your questions.

http://www.cbrnp.com/RNP/Flower/contents.htm

Cheers,

1 Like

Alright thanks!

1 Like

Sorry for the delay on the buildā€¦ Iā€™m still waiting for it to arrive from the UK, and with the current state of the world who knows how long until it gets hereā€¦ :no_mouth:

1 Like

Does anyone know if the Snowberry has Minesweeping gear like other RCN Flowers?
(Ok fine Town classā€¦)

1 Like

ā€œOn the 15 May 1941 Snowberry was one of ten corvettes loaned to Canada. She could be told apart from other Canadian Flowers by her lack of minesweeping gear and the siting of the after gun tub amidships.[12]ā€

1 Like

I remember reading this, I was just wondering if the Snowberry maybe got them added in a later refit. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The sterns were different on the minesweepers, it was squared off to make room to work the minesweeping gear.
Squared off stern for minesweeping gear on short forecastle boat

http://www.forposterityssake.ca/GALLERIES/FLOWER-CLASS.htm

Early corvette, HMS Hollyhock, with short forecastle (foā€™cā€™sle) showing the round stern of non-minesweepers

Round stern:

Square stern, HMCS RiviĆØre du Loup
bild

2 Likes

Great photos. They make me want to build another one!

2 Likes

Without too much trouble there is a least four types:
Round vs square stern
both of the above with long or short forecastle

and then there is a gazillion variants of armaments and minor details ā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info Robin! I finally got the kit so Iā€™m exited to start! Its truly a lot of plastic, only to be added to with all the strip styrene I will be addingā€¦ the wood decks are a bit warped but since I wont be using most of them Iā€™m not worrying. The PE in this kit is pretty thick but it looks useable.
Imgur
Imgur
I was looking over everything and I think I will start the build with sanding off the deck details, better to get it out of the way. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This looks to be a nice kit, Ezra. I see there are even crew figures! I look forward to watchicg this one come together.

2 Likes

A little progress, as I have so much detailing work to do to this kit I thought it would be better to build up all the major sub-assemblies. I have the main superstructures all built, but nothing is glued to aid in detailing and painting. I also glued the hull together and have covered the seam in a metallic pigment and CA mix, later today I hope to start dremeling down the large keel. I also removed the texture on the decks, it was super easy and took me only about 1 hour to do all the decks. I did this by scraping parallel to the texture with a brand new X-acto blade then giving it a light sand then once I was happy with how it looked spraying the deck with a automotive gray primer to show any spots I missed, then sanded again.
Imgur
Imgur

3 Likes

Does anyone have any photos of a Flower classā€™s main gun interior? Like the gun sight arrangement and stuff. Iā€™m scratch building the whole interior to it so I need some solid ref. pictures.

1 Like

Basic structure
bild

Another one without shield
bild

Largish drawing

small copy of drawing above
bild

The other side
bild

Some images in this collection might be useful:

1 Like