1/72 HMCS Snowberry (K-166) Flower class Corvette

That’s 100% what I needed Robin, thanks!
I started some detailing on the weapons and Ive come up with this so far, I finished the tread pattern on the 4" gun mount with strip styrene.
Imgur
Then I built the PE gun shield but I didnt build it as instructed, in the kit they tell you to glue the PE parts to the plastic gun shield but I noticed the plastic was very thick so instead I just glued the PE parts together resulting in a much more detailed and in scale gun shield. (the kit plastic is very thick.) Then following the rivet pattern on the outside I used strip styrene to add some framing.
Imgur
Imgur
Then I built OOB the Hedgehog mortars in preparation for detailing.
Imgur
I also started dremeling down the hull and will have pics of that soon.

Question, if I’m building the Snowberry will I have to scratch build new engine room skylights, or can I use the kit ones? I noticed most everyone who builds RCN will do this.

4 Likes

The removal of the oversized keel and bow is done! After about 3 hours of dremeling and sanding I was able to get a much more accurate hull. The Flowers actually have quite a sharp bow and it is no where near how Revell (Matchbox) portrays it. I’m very happy with the result.
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

3 Likes

Some progress has been made. I finished sanding and filling the hull, (there was alot needed.) and I sprayed hull red on. After one more coat I will start masking for the camouflage.
Imgur

3 Likes

Sorry everyone, I know its been awhile since the last update. Ive managed to start building the Bridge. (?) Im having to prepaint everything because the wood decks had to go down first.
Imgur
Im painting the rest of the sides now. As well as spraying the white base for the ships hull.

3 Likes

Small update/ comparison. I built up the kit Oerlikon and the PE one and heres the comparison.
Imgur
Not much of a update I know but Ive been working on other builds.

8 Likes

A little link to make life difficult :wink:
https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=18175&cat=303&page=1
or very expensive :grin:
Looking is free though :smile:

2 Likes

Aghhhhh very temptinggg!

1 Like

Maybe you could sell a kidney or something …
:rofl:

2 Likes

It would be worth it… :laughing:

2 Likes

Ezra,

Nice work so far - looking forward to seeing more soon.

As far as the Kit Oerlikon - the PE version is definitely superior and looks amazing.

Keep up the great work

David

1 Like

Your build is coming along real nice!
Who makes that Oerlikon?
Cheers,

1 Like

Thanks guys! Joe the Oerlikon comes with the platinum edition kit.

1 Like

OK…thanks for that info

2 Likes

Fine work on the Oerlikon - looks excellent, that really makes a difference for your Flower!

Cheers
Jan

2 Likes

Ezra,

That rebuilt Oerlikon make a world of difference! Great work, I’m enjoying watching your masterpiece come together.

2 Likes

Hiya, you are doing a great job. I have the complete PE and white metal set made by Dave Parkins at Great Little Ships. The whole set is AWESOME! You basically use the kit hull and a few superstructure parts and the rest is done with the GLS sets. The nice thing is that you don’t have to buy them all at once, so you can add the next set as work progresses. Highly recommended. Regards, Pete in RI

2 Likes

@Panzer_modeler
Has the build stalled? Dock workers on strike for better working conditions?

1 Like