101st AIRBORNE AT CARENTAN, JUNE 1944

#3, Almost Acceptable

After a day of adjusting skin tones and “feathering in” the oils I am satisfied with the results so far. This one is about 80% finished. I still need a bit more work before I set it aside to dry hard before working in some facial textures.

Time to get the last two heads up to speed and work the new techniques as a set. I may give all of them a dull coat to seal in the work so far. It’s always a dice roll when working in a new technique after getting this far, but I’m willing to take that chance.

Thanks for watching. Cheers, Ski.

P.S. Let me not forget the red tones as well. Sheesh, just caught that, lol.

8 Likes

What no gaps in the teeth….your slipping bro. :crazy_face: j/k.

Great work as usually, if mine turned out a 10th of your 80% I would be over the moon.

2 Likes

Looks good! Can’t wait to see the other faces

Yep, that’s a commin up next, Brother. Also, the left facing eye is off and will be corrected. Sometimes you don’t catch the little errors without a zoomed shot to verify. It may look ok now, but zoom in closely and you’ll see it.

I hate leaving know errors, it would drive me bonkers. In this scale most everyone would not catch it, but we play to the camera, and that b@tch sees EVERYTHING!

Thanks, CK, more coming soon.

2 Likes

Breaking the “Glasses” Ceiling

I know some us can get carried away with detail and some of us just move on, but when the detail in literally “in your face” ya kinda gotta pay attention, IMHO. The set of glasses for the young lad on the right were a royal baby rump kisser, to say the least. Now that I’ve done this at least 7-10 times, or more, I can pretty much knock out a pair in about 15mins, sheesh! This thin copper wire takes a delicate approach or the whole thing goes to pot in a heartbeat and any prior work is caput.

The lenses for these glasses were made from a plastic envelope that protected a set of decals in my stash. It was the only thing thin enough to work in this scale realistically. I did make an attempt at using liquid water from Vallejo, but boy howdy was he wearing coke bottle lenses then, woof!

Ok, both heads shown are completed for now with most of the minor details already added. My attempt at adding in facial textures met with utter failure, so I will move on saving that technical approach for a 1/10th bust. There comes a time when you have to realize it just ain’t happenin, and move on. I will set these aside for now and finish the last two heads before I detail the helmets and move on to the bodies.

Yes, Goofy has been replaced by one of Steve Reedee’s 1/16th scale heads. This is a far cry from that ridiculous head that came with the figure. In a conversation I had earlier today regarding well sculpted heads, they pretty much paint themselves. I agree completely, but somebody still has to control the brush, HA!

Thanks for watchin, more to follow shortly. Cheers, Ski.

9 Likes

Wow! Those glasses look amazing! :mag_right::nose::mag:

—mike

1 Like

Absolutely brilliant Ski … Those glasses. … :see_no_evil:Wow … Facial tones… perfecto… :+1::+1::+1::tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Some unbelievable work going on overhere…

1 Like

Tanks, Gentlemen! I never thought I’d have to make a small set of glasses, but I’m glad it actually worked out.

1 Like

Great work but G.I. glasses had a steel frame with a dull silver gray coloration.
I still have my Dad’s issued glasses. They look just like these…

2 Likes

Ya well, this pair is black and they ain’t gonna change anytime soon, HA! Thanks for the intel Brother!

3 Likes

Bart and Billy

The last two heads are in the final stages of completion, but still need some touch-up. Some may be wondering why name these guys. Well, as suggested by someone who paints a heck of a lot better than I, Mike-the-Kiwi said, “For me this association to real individuals helps create a creative connection deeper than just painting a resin figure.” I have to agree, and so far, I have been able to get past the “hump” on these faces. This is no different than full emersion when building a dio or a given scenario in the past, but I had never considered this concept when painting figures. Works great for me, I’m likin it! Thanks, Mike!

So, for now, these two faces will set up for a few more days, then the final touches will be worked in. Teeth need to be defined, rosy cheeks need a tad more work, and the lips also. I will feather in any weak areas before I call these done.

You may have noticed; Billy’s face is from Steve Reedee’s 120mm collection. Great work, Stevo!

The AB figures and Bart have their initial acrylic base coats. Time to research all of the gear and weapons for the correct color tones, etc. The splinter pattern for Bart will be a challenge given his poncho is not just hanging down like most, it’s got a lot of exposed areas to paint. Well, I recon it ain’t as bad as a Dennison smock, HA!

Thanks for watching, more to follow soon. Cheers, Ski.

P.S. The official names for these characters are; Hank, Freddie, Billy, and Bart.

9 Likes

Bart is not a German name, so you will have to make him either member a Dutch or Belgian unit… :slight_smile:
Oh, and the heads look fantastic!

1 Like

I’m open to suggestions other than Hanz or Franz. But, since the 17th SS Pzgr division was the first to be made up of conscripts and not just volunteers, Bart would work, ya? But then again, it might be safer with a Germanic name to avoid the rivet counters from flooding the thread over a name, lol.

I’m open to a reasonable name if ya got em, Erwin :wink:

2 Likes

How about Dieter? Erwin is also a German name :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Dieter sounds good. Erwin is kinda common, don’tcha find? :rofl: :joy: :hushed: Tanks for the assist, Brother.

4 Likes

Oh, hey Erwin, some of the guys are sayin Bart/Dieter really looks like Bob Hope. I may have to name him Bob, what’chya think?

3 Likes

I was going to post that the other day he looks like Bob. Might as well lean into it.

3 Likes

Bob is certainly not a German name, but if you want to name him so, be my guest…

3 Likes

Funny, I already added Dieter, but Bob does seem more appropriate. After all, this is supposed to be a somewhat comical vignette.

2 Likes