120mm British infantryman 1944

Well, the weekend is here so, time to start something different. Back to WW2 for this fella. As the title states, a British infantryman from 1944, courtesy of our old friend Mr. Verlinden.
I get the feeling that this one might be a little bit challenging. There’s a few things that need correction.

Firstly, the pack is missing, I had to buy the accessories pack to get another (can’t exactly contact the manufacturers anymore). This did give me a couple of options regarding the small arms, namely a choice of Bren and Sten.

The rifle supplied is the Lee Enfield mk3, complete with bayonet. I managed to locate a more time-appropriate mk4 from Reedees. I’ll have to scratch a spike bayonet though if I go down this route.

So, on to the head…… this chap is seriously ugly! Spare head at the ready, again from Reedees.

The last time I saw something that bad, I was watching ‘Dawn of the dead’!
As I said before, this kit has a few things that need correction. I think it’s one that was released when the quality started to go down at Verlinden. There’s a few tell-tales, parts fit not great, moulds worn in a few places, even glue marks left on the masters in places. Even so, there’s a lot of potential here so, let’s see how it goes.
G.

3 Likes

Nice. I have the same fellow too, along with his Desert Rat colleague.
They were supposed to be displayed in one vignette, the Rat converted into a ETO-soldier.
I need to locate that equipement set too!

1 Like

Hi Ron, try this link. That’s where I’m getting this Verlinden stuff from.

G.

1 Like

Well if the last fig you did is anything to go by this old Verlinden kit should look an absolute belter by the time you are finished!

1 Like

Thanks Karl, there’s a lot of work to do with this one though. Strangely enough, I’m pretty comfortable with conversion work in 1/35 but, 1/16 is a whole new ball game for me. Got a bit more experience in painting though. Think I’m getting the hang of it at last :grin:
G.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see this one Lazarus. You did such an outstanding job of the 82nd Airborne trooper.
I’m looking to add more detail to a few British Paras I have on hand for a Suez diorama and I’m learning about the different patterns of webbing the British used, so I’ll be looking forward to this.

1 Like

Ok, so I’m thinking of doing this one as a soldier from the East Yorkshire Regiment, part of the 3rd division in Normandy 1944. Luckily, The moulded-in badges are that of the 3rd Division so, that’s a good start. Reason for this is that a family member of my wife’s was actually a Lance Corporal in the East Yorkshire on D-day so, I might even get to display this one :wink:
Here’s a pic of the shoulder insignia:

Should get interesting painting’East Yorkshire’ on the shoulder flash :grin:
G.

2 Likes

Well, looks like I’ll be going with the Lee Enfield mk4. The Sten doesn’t have a magazine and the Bren is missing it’s bipod!
Don’t you love Verlinden quality control……
G.

1 Like

Looking forward to this. Maybe you could find a decal of “East Yorkshire” ? Lol….

1 Like

Btw, much better choice of heads yes !

1 Like

Ok lads, the madness begins……

First off, the cord on the water bottle stopper. 0.5mm copper wire.

Sling swivels, again from copper wire.

Next up, the Regimental and Battalion insignia on both sleeves.

Don’t want a bald guy, do we?

Dremelled out the area behind the pouches for a better fit. Not too keen on the floating effect. Put a little rip in the trouser leg as well.
That’s where I’m up to so far. Just got to do the other pouch, attach the right arm, resculpt the bottom edge of the battledress jacket and sort out the gaiters. For some reason, there’s only one strap on them. Stands out like a sore thumb!
G.

4 Likes

Great job so far Lazarus

1 Like

And, it’s in the primer!

And, after I primed it all, I realised I had forgotten to make the spike bayonet…you can just make it out , made from plastic card and rod. I’ll try and get a better pic later.
G.

2 Likes

Looking good Lazarus can’t wait to see your progress on it. I’m sure it’ll be awesome

1 Like

Hi Gents,
Starting to think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew with this one. I’m having serious trouble painting the lettering on the shoulder tabs.

I think the problem is that I’m trying to do the lettering on a Matt surface and at this level of detail, there’s not enough control over the brush. Would I be better off painting on to a gloss surface? Does that make any sense? Anyone ever done this before and have any advice? Decals, unfortunately aren’t an option. The only set I’ve seen are from Peddinghaus and are £24 a set. Not happening!

Also, the head’s been into the oven cleaner twice already. Third time lucky…
Can’t seem to get it together on this one! All advice gratefully accepted!
G.

3 Likes

The khaki looks spot on. Keep at it and keep us posted.

1 Like

Will do!
G.

1 Like

Looks great!
You could try resizing then printing out a picture of the shoulder tabs, then cutting 'em out of the paper, hitting with a matt clear coat then gluing to the fig with white glue.

1 Like

I should think that decals are the way to go if the hand-painitng seems unseccessful - but I’m no expert in this scale.

Regarding the helmet, it looks to me as though it’s too small to sit right. I just wonder if it’s worth perhaps drilling out a bit more/remove a bit of the scalp so that it envelops the head. If you add extra scrim ie add Hessian strips over the rim, sort of hanging down, it might create the right appearance.

Re the “gaiters” (really “Anklets, Web”(!)) - depending on how the BD trousers are fitted the topmost strap and buckle may not appear. I only mention that for what it’s worth, and it may save you a job.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments Brian. Looking at it now, I think you’re right about the helmet. It needs to sit lower on the head. Might swap out the head too, I’ve got a couple of spares. The idea with the extra scrim sounds good too. On close inspection, it looks like the original was made with masking tape so, I’ll give it a try. As for the shoulder tabs, I mentioned before that the only set I can find is a ridiculous price, plus from the sample photo provided, there’s no guarantee I’ll get the right ones (low - res pic).
G.

1 Like