14 Shades of Panzer Grey _ Paint review

Thought this might be of interest.

14 Shades of Panzer Grey - Which Model Paint is the Most Accurate

I think its a cool comparison.
I’m definitely not color accuracy fanatic. I like to see colors roughly in the ballpark.

7 Likes

Very interesting, even if I am not crazy about super color accuracy ,also because then you start with filters and weathering and the perfect color ends up in the toilet … :poop:… but it is still very interesting, and I am glad that 2 of my 3 favorite brands are in the top 3…MMP and LC

Agree, a very interesting video, thanks for the heads-up!

1 Like

Really good on the technical side, especially his explanation of the Munsell color scale. I also thought he was fair and honest in his comparisons. His goal was to find the most correct prototype match, and it looks like he found it.

I would say, though, that he does pretty much dismiss the aspects of scale lighting and color perception of miniatures when viewed under normal lighting conditions. He mentions modulation in passing a couple of times, and alludes to Zenithal lighting at least once, so maybe I’m just reading too much into how he presents his findings.

There is accuracy and correct color matching. However, there is also the effect that lighting has on miniatures that also effects the perception of color by the viewer. This is particular true in regard to value (to stick with the Munsell scale and his comparison criteria). In the end, there is more, I believe, to “correct” color than just the technically correct match when discussing and viewing miniatures.

Still, starting off with a correct color match as you work towards creating the perception of the real thing and its “correct” color in miniature can’t really be argued with.

2 Likes

Yes, I took it as talking as close to an exact match in 1 to 1 scale when mentioned the MRP Mr Paint chip basically disappeared when placed beside the original color.

Exact color accuracy is a fools errand in my opinion. If different pigments are used in the new paint than in the original paint it isn’t possible to match in all lighting conditions. If same Piggy is used but its ground differently - it won’t match in all lighting conditions.

Never mind the washes etc.

It’s like Shepard Paine said, if it looks right it’s right :white_check_mark:

I confess to delight when pointed out the fade resistance of German oxide paints and how Panzer Gray faded to~ uber chipped baby blue/sky blue panzers are essentially Extreme Artistic License :blue_heart:.

I really enjoyed the analysis of the blue-green contribution to panzer gray.
Nothing wrong with some Artistic License or Extreme Artistic License.

1 Like

Just from DIY experience you know how difficult it is to match paint. Ever run out of a color when doing a wall? You go back to the store and get the exact same color but it isn’t even when they use the exact same mixing ratios. That’s why they tell you to mix any leftover from the old can into the new.

2 Likes

I feel like I can shift * a given shade in one direction or the other during my applications of shaders and weathering pastel pigments so the EXACT shade of a given color base paint really doesn’t concern me all that much.

*(Others might say I can HIDE, rather than shift, any minor color discrepancy. That’s OK too. I can except either point of view.)

EXAMPLE: This started as a base coat of good ole Model Masters #1911 US Olive Drab but now (IMHO) I am very happy with it as a weathered and “starting to fade” modern Russian Green.

Note how much shift the black wheel well liner color from this modern Mercedes car shifts due to dust. It’s black, dark gray, “Panzer Gray”, gray, light gray etc.

While exact color is always nice to know, bottom line in my opinion remains, if it looks right it is right.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. It was definitely worth viewing because, as I return to modeling, I am switching from Model Master enamels to Vallejo acrylics and a couple Panzers in Dunklegrau are at the front of the queue. I need to make some color swatches and start experimenting.

Another Example:

Ever work you heart out on one of those big Russian MAZ 8x8 chassis only to have all that beautiful detail disappear into the black paint after you spray the chassis?

Light dust is what can highlight the details and make them POP. Make them come alive again on a black or dark green subject!

Just like in the wheel well photo above. BUT the wheel well is SO covered in dust/grime it just looks all uniform gray which can once again blend everything together for a result you will not be happy with.
(It took me a time there to even understand just what I was looking at!)

2 Likes

More color matching hubris and tangents. :laughing:

Just because the color matches, doesn’t mean it actually matches. One to one scale example.

^^^Note center panel of hood, looks like a good match.

^^^^change of lighting conditions, not so good of a match

^^^^^ Different type of light yet again, clearly not even close to marching.

^^^^^^ It sort of matches again.

The point being unless, the exact same pigments are used and ground exactly the same way - paint that matches often won’t match in varied lighting conditions.

In essence, attempting to get a perfect paint match with hobby paints back to a real vehicle is folly because different pigments are used and they are ground to different standards.

However, one can get an excellent match under certain lighting conditions with a hobby paint to a real vehicle.

3 Likes

So true ~ one of my early jobs was mixing automotive paint colors. (before computers.)
You had a large library of “manufacture’s color formula cards” and you had a precision scale that weighed in tenths of a gram.

You had to CAREFULLY pour in the EXACT quantity/weight of each mixing color. Mess up here and you just made a gallon of very expensive automotive paint that was no good to anyone!

All the shades of silver/gray on the road today are some of the hardest colors to match exactly, with white being the hardest color of all.

As to the color match problems with the Corvette in different lights. I noticed it right away when only looking at your first photo. (Super good example here.)

#1, The color/shade may be slightly off (bad mix.)

#2. But more likely, it is a different paint on the hood (chemically) than what was used years before on the main body and that is why it is reacting differently under varying lighting conditions.
Different chemistries = different reflective properties.

#3. Also possible, the older paint has simply oxidized with age to a slightly different shade so of course the fresh paint will never match.

As to that beautiful Classic Corvette: ~ I think it is time to treat your car to a nice silver/gray intake scoop. (Or ANY other contrasting color that suits your fancy.)

1 Like

Love your big block Vette.

1 Like

Thank you both.

Definitely more challenging matching 43 year old Imron with today’s products. 72’s on a waiting list for a total repaint so in a few years will be all the same color again.

1 Like

Thanks for this link. I learn a lot form YouTube. And his research seems legit…

1 Like

“Exact color accuracy is a fools errand in my opinion. If different pigments are used in the new paint than in the original paint it isn’t possible to match in all lighting conditions. If same Piggy is used but its ground differently - it won’t match in all lighting conditions”

I Had an addition put on the house. II needed more paint than I had to paint the addition the sme color as the rest of the house. After weeks of waiting on Sherwin Williams and being told they did not know when a paint shipment would arrive, I went to Home Depot and aske if they could color match the Sherwin paint. They asked if I had one of the color swatches with the numbers. They took that and matched it perfectly. My ability to detect color variations is good. I was totally impressed with the match. They put a dot of paint in the middle of my color swatch.
It was a perfect match. The only way I could see determine where their color dot was the thicker layer of paint from the dot. I am still amazed at the match.

i

2 Likes

I do the same with model railroad cars. I take the sample car in to Home Depot. They use their scanner and for under $5 I have a pint of near perfectly matched color paint.

Two Custom Painted (brush on) color matched cars.

1 Like

Update - Bruce the Model Noob has a new video on Panzer Grey.

10 More Shades of Panzer Grey - Which Model Paint is the Most Accurate

This is Pure Gold if you enjoy this sort of thing. Several “internet holy cows” :cow2: are BBQ’d perfectly.

Enjoy! Bon Appétit!

3 Likes

I watched the first of the above videos and found it informative, but was disappointed to learn that my favorite brand (Tamiya) was total crap for Panzer Grey. Bruce could have made suggestions for improving lacking brands with additional colors - although it was hinted at in his evaluations. Maybe a bit of blue (although I already add that), and a tiny bit of green, and a bit of black to darken the mess, for the Tamiya.
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like

Hoping that may be the 3rd video :pray:

I wish we had an app for our phones where we could scan all of our paint then take a picture of what color we want and be shown the “correct mixes or close” based on our personal paint stocks!

Definitely, get what you’re saying. Neither of my two favorites were tested either IIRC.

Humbrol has/had a color that to my eye looked just about dead on but probably slightly too blue. Ive got a tin but don’t recall the number. Likewise, Floquil Panzer Gray, it’s definitely wrong way too light for an RAL match however it looks near perfect for a dusty in the field Panzer Gray to my eye.