1942: The Turning of the Tide

Group Build Title: 1942: The Turning of the Tide

Group Build Leader(s): @michaelsatin

Group Build Description: A group build for any subject used by any belligerent in 1942, the year the Allies stopped the Axis surge.

Event Details: On January 1, 1942, the Axis were victorious everywhere, and on the move to grab even more territory. The Allies were rocked back on their heels and the possibility that Germany and Japan would actually link up in the Middle East looked like a matter of time. But by December 31 of that year, everything had changed. At Midway, Guadalcanal, El Alamein, Tunisia, and Stalingrad the Axis juggernaut was stopped and turned back. As Churchill said, it was not the end, nor even the beginning of the end. But it was the end of the beginning. This campaign is for any military subject used by any belligerent during 1942, the year the tide turned.
(Remember to click “Going” if you want to join the build!)

Completion Award: [add info about possible award badge here - see help threads for more info]

A Note about Awards: The following text is a reminder that in order for people participating and finishing their projects to receive a badge on their forum profile, they will need to provide their account username to the group build leader by the completion date of the build. The leader will then provide this list to the site admin who will bulk award the badges to those users who have finished the group build. If you don’t provide your username or finish the project on the timetable the leader has setup you will not be able to receive an award.

Not a lot of activity on this one, so I thought I’d see if I could get some conversation started.

I have bit of an obsession with the Battle of Midway, as witness:

And the F4F is a long-time favorite of mine. So, I managed to grab one of the new Eduard releases and am planning on doing one of these:

I’m not quite sure to go with the -4 Midway, or a -3. My problem with the -3 is that I have at least two or three I want to do eventually, so…

Anyway, if I do go for the -4 and have enough time (and ambition), I’ll add an enemy for a duel build:

I wouldn’t take any bets on how any of this turns out, but I think a Wildcat at least is in the cards.

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

How did I miss this one? I have tons of kits that fit the bill, so I’m in! My interest is Allied armour and softskins…

There ya go, Tom! Welcome!

nice idea…

1 Like

Sounds good to me. I’ve got a couple of Airfix Wildcats I’ve been meaning to build that fit the bill.

My OCD is making me point out a small typo. 1042 would be a group build about the coronation of Edward the Confessor - which would be pretty cool, but hard to justify Panzers or Zeros, etc.

That said, i’d pay to see a Panzer and a Sherman jousting.

5 Likes

What makes you think that’s not what I meant? :upside_down_face:

Fixing it now. Thanks for the catch!

2 Likes

I have a diorama in mind depicting at least a part of Midway itself

I’m in but no idea as to what subject will be my choice (suffering from decision paralysis LOL).

Plenty of time.

BTW, in honor of Evan’s pointing out of my snafu in titling the campaign, I will allow anything from the year 1042 as well as 1942. It’s only fair.

3 Likes

1042? LOL which calender?? Georgian or otherwise??

2 Likes

The year 1042 in the Jewish calendar is 2718 BCE in the standard one. Have at THAT!

2 Likes

Now THAT is totally bonkers. Best chuckle I’ve had all day. I am honoured to have inspired you.

But surely, you jest?

P.S. Michael, thanks for extending the IDF campaign, but I’m not going to make it. I’ll post the finished project as a stand alone thread… at some point. Busy time of year between the holdays and prepping for winter.

A fellow I went to school with, who was a master of absurd puns, used to explain to innocent first years that the reason Gregorian chants were called such was because there were two Popes who both claimed onwership over the music. So they compromised and called them Greg or Ian Chants. Some folks actually fell for it. He never came up with one for the Julian Calendar.

1 Like

Yes, 1942 is a favorite of mine as well! I have numerous kits in my stash that qualify. Now its just a question of what…

1 Like

And here was me thinking it might have been the Japanese Calender!! LOL

Sorry, Evan, though I completely understand. I look forward to seeing the finished product!

1 Like

A campaign for my SM79 maybe…