1942: The Turning of the Tide

Cockpit looks great!! Shame about the wingspar

went back to the bench tonight and got it done, wings on. poor fit of the wing tops and the tip of one wing is short shot. i am going to have to fill and sand it. perfect chance to test out my jar of sprue goo i made.

Joe

Foiled again, my 1942 build completed last year TLC119, commissioned October 1941, lost 20/6/1942 Tobruk. A reminder that things still went wrong in 1942!
IMG_6566

6 Likes

In fact, things went wrong even in 1945.
Lovely craft, and remarkably so.

1 Like

Well, my Miniart M3 Lee Early Production project is temporarily stalled until I receive a missing part from Miniart. I was working on the interior and was getting ready to glue a small ammo locker in place, then post my progress when I realized a part was missing. I contacted Miniart and advised them of the issue and they are preparing to send me the missing part. Since I don’t want to waste any time waiting for this part to arrive, I decided to add another project to this campaign.

IMG_6654

Yes, another Soviet subject. I really enjoy the Trumpeter KV series. While there are some things that need fixed, it’s still a solid base to start from.

IMG_6656

Clamps are holding the side plates of the lower hull in place until the glue dries. Then on to the road wheels and fitting the link and length track.

All builds in this campaign look great. Can’t wait to see them all completed.

Cheers!

chuck

3 Likes

Is that the Trumpeter 1/48 kit? BTW MRP makes the paints

2 Likes

No…it’s the 1/35 scale. Thanks for the paint info.

Cheers!

chuck

1 Like

Yes, it is! Fit is good, but detail is lacking though, especially in the cockpit. I’ve used the Acrylic Regia Aeronautica set from Italeri for the two top colours and Humbrol enamel for the base colour. The enamel gives a good base for the acrylics to key into. I’ve used SMS paint for the underside. I’ll post some pics to show where I’m at right now in the near future.

Chris

1 Like

Been thinking about this thread and also needing to complete my series of RN landing craft tanks. The only one left is the LCT(1) or A-lighter. The Daddy of all LCTs, conceived in June 1940, 20 were ordered off the drawing board in July 1940, the first ones completed in November. All 20 were shipped to the Med, arriving in March 1941. 6 were lost in the evacuations of Greece and Crete the remainder were used on the Spud Run replenishing Tobruk until it fell in June 1942. Then used in invasions until they wore out. No kit but have started to print hull sections
IMG_7553
Printed main hull and deck sections


Skeg and 2small deck sections are missing.
IMG_7555
Dry assembled LCT(1) at 1/72 scale. 26” long 4 5/8” beam
IMG_7556
Quite an elegant shape compared to the boxy LCT(2)
IMG_7557

15 Likes

Looks beautiful, Andrew. Quite sizable pieces to print, but looks clean and smooth.

2 Likes

got primer on ready to start the base green color. i blocked off the starboard gun port. these guns were often removed to save weight along with the radios. i am undecided if i will add the radio, i can’t find info for or against if she had a radio in her plane.


5 Likes

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, here’s where I am with the Eduard 1/48 F4F-4:

A not so close look at the landing gear will demonstrate my issues. You just never know with Eduard. The A6M2 was great, this one…

Anyway, if you’re looking at building this kit, make sure the interior is well seated and square, especially the wheel well area. Not getting all of this (and there’s a lot) perfectly aligned will lead to a whole host of issues with the complicated landing gear. Consider yourselves forewarned.

Just the small parts left, including those tiny clear lights. I remain hopeful, but the one on the tail has already gone into orbit. Sigh.

Still the best F4F on the market, but man…

Michael :israel: :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Maybe wheels up is a better option for this one?

Too stubborn for that. No pilot or stand and I never do builds with those anyway. Surprisingly, it actually stands pretty much level as is.

Michael :israel: :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hi mates,
I decided to get another entry for this campaign going, a Spitfire MK Vc defending Malta in 1942



Started cutting and glueing day before yesterday…


So far the build looks promising, KP brought out some nice Spits over the last few years.
Cheers
Peter :raising_hand_man:

5 Likes

Slow progress on my 1:72 TLC A17, most of the hull is now complete and corrected. Shown here with TLC119, a Mark 2 type developed from the TLC type 1 like A17
IMG_7593
IMG_7592
Bow shape revised to the correct profile. Previous bow was wrong
IMG_7590
Stern needs minor revision
IMG_1429
Printing the bow, the only hull part to need supports
IMG_7589
Type 2 was wider, easier to build and more seaworthy but the engines were surplus aero engines that rotted in seawater, the gearboxes were bad and three engines were fitted instead of 2, but only 1 rudder instead of 2.
Type 1 entered service in 1940 and were used into 1943 30 were built. A17 was the first one completed in November 1940.

6 Likes

Cockpit is ready, next stop joining of fuselage halves… :grinning:


9 Likes

TLC A17 after joining the hull pieces the joints need filling and a little blending, After rubbing down the whole hull is coated with epoxy finishing resin, which adds strength and smooths off some of the layer lines. Put outside to set and within 2 mins this fly came to investigate. Will leave it a couple of days before rubbing down again.
IMG_1433

4 Likes

Looks great.

I need to make a start on my Midway Wildcat soon. Good thing we still have the rest of the year to go.

1 Like