2023 IPMS USA Nationals

I’m starting this thread today as the show starts tomorrow, and some of you may be on the way down. As I did last year, I’ll add photos for each category that interests me. And just like last year, every road trip is worthy of a cyber recon for good eats. Except in this case I don’t need to do one. Like Colorado, and Wyoming, I’ve pretty much got al of the important exits off of the interstate (I-35 in this case) memorized. This first post is going on the assumption that you’re driving to San Marcos, just as I drove to Omaha last year.

Last year’s burgers were Freddie’s and Runza’s, apparently a staple in Nebraska.
This year only one choice makes sense as far as a burger chain - Whataburger. Texas born and bred, and honestly, if you’re gonna have fast food you could do worse.
But who goes on a road trip just looking for fast food? You want what the locals eat. If you’re headed down I-35 approaching Austin you may consider the Czech Stop. Exit 353, east side, the town of West, Texas. I don’t even need to look it up. Kolaches. I’ve heard there are some places on the west side of the highway as well, but this has been one of our stops for many years until another Texas institution became just as popular - Buc-ee’s. You’ll encounter a few on I-35 on the way to San Marcos. They have anywhere from 80 to 120 gas pumps, the cleanest rest rooms you’ll ever see at a “gas station,” and of course all kinds of Texas goodies - rubs, jerky, and yes, even Kolaches, which are surprisingly good.
Save room because farther south you’ll hit the German Hill Country. If you’re in the mood for overpriced German food then Fredricksberg is a must. Honestly, my Chinese wife makes better Schnitzel, and I’d put my homemade Rotkohl against anyone’s in town. But the Nimitz museum is definitely worth a visit.
Speaking of museums, a thirty minute jog west off of I-35 takes you to Fort Cavazos (Formerly Fort Hood and already nicknamed Fort Cerveza) and the First Cavalry Division Museum as well as the Third Cavalry Museum. And if your trip allows, you may as well head south to Camp Mabry outside Austin for their Armor museum. Don’t bother stopping at King’s Hobbies in Austin - it’s a great shop, but they’ll be set up at the show.
Once in San Marcos, tonight even, you may want to indulge in Texas Barbecue. You’re on your own when it comes to that. I prefer a Memphis style barbecue, smoked over fruit wood with a vineger based sauce. Some time back in history someone pulled the greatest con game in the history of barbecue by convincing Texans that Mesquite, a weed prevalent in Texas, made for good smoking. It’s not bad, but not really that good either.
I’ll leave you with one other “must eat” choice while you’re in Texas: Tex-Mex. Find a little burg around San Marcos, one with an FM (Farm to Market Road) running through it. There’s bound to be a very good little family owned Tex-Mex joint there. The smaller the town the better.
If you’re not into games of chance, especially where the colon is concerned, there are two small towns with just such a place on I-35W right before it joins back up with I-35E - Grandview and Itasca. Los Compesinos is the one in Grandview. If you happen to come down I-35E instead, the small town of Italy is also right before the merge. Excellent place called La Hacienda. Either way you’ll get to experience real small town Texas life.

That’s the food report.
And now here’s our own Bradley with the weather:

Next post will be all about the plastic, but Bradley doesn’t do plastic. Thankfully.

10 Likes

I’ll be there in spirit, alas an ocean & continent too far for me right now. But Bradley’s weather report certainly exemplifies global warming, few globes wouldn’t be warmed.

6 Likes

Enjoy ! I look forward to your report , maybe I’ll make it next year. Madison, I believe ?

2 Likes

I’ll be there as well. Looking forward to some more 21 year aged cheddar and New Glaris Spotted Cow. They say the best cheese curds squeak when you bite into them
Boom. Research done.

2 Likes

That is what the cheeseheads have told me.

2 Likes

Liking everything about it, including the weather,
just one litte point, can you add USA to the end of the title,
after all it is international , and could be Slovakia/ Germany/ poland/ UK, Nationals.

3 Likes

Wish that I was there.

2 Likes

It seems all of the photos I posted are gone. A shame, as I deleted many as I posted them.
Due to the problems on the site, I didn’t have a chance to upload many more yesterday or today.
Busy day tomorrow, so we’ll see what happens. Otherwise there’s always:

See you there!

2 Likes

Making an attempt to send in manageable chunks. Not going to worry about sticking to a particular genre in each post.

13 Likes

9 Likes

This is one of my show favorites. I figured the guy beat me to it - I’ve been working one one since the film came out using a resin Dana SPG chassis (they used something very similar in real life) and a couple of 1/32 trucks and cars, along with resin wheels.
Turns out the kit is availablemin 3D printed form in 1/25 and the guy had it scaled down to 1/35. Still impressive as hell.

12 Likes

Man O Man! The more I scrolled down the more excited I got! A whole squadron of B17’s! How cool is that! And the bikes were way cool as well but that B29 is just gorgeous! Suhweeet!

Cajun :crocodile:

1 Like

No matter how often I see one, I’m always a sucker for the 1/72 Gato:

This one needs a crazy SF dude trying to see how fast he can supentine a gun truck between the barricades:

I think I dated this chick in Berlin:

I wish more modelers would do this. Even the addition of a simple photo as a backdrop makes for much better photography:

12 Likes

Thanks for posting those. Looks like it was a great event…

Those B17s looked awesome…never seen that many before !! That Mad Max tanker was very cool… Great weathering on it.

I thought that Star wars Dio showing a filming sequence and the models of models being was very clever … The small model boxes were a genius touch as well… :+1:

4 Likes

It was. But like (eyeroll for some) Robert Pirsig said in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance:

On a cycle the frame is gone. You’re completely in contact with it all. You’re in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.

It’s the same at a contest at any level. No matter how many photos I post nothing beats being there. There afe no frames. You can admire a build from almost any angle. see the detail up close for yourself.
These photos only offer a small glimpse of how cool it is to be there.

1 Like

12 Likes

There is no way to measure the coolness factor. There is nothing like being there.

4 Likes

Plus I got to meet Ryan (Tank_1812) and also Raymond Chung again. He and I will have some great upcoming projects. I’ve already begun sending him the measurements and photos.

4 Likes

Next year I should be there! Its only 4-5 hours from the house.

1 Like

Those are some great pictures of extremely good looking kits… thanks for sharing!

2 Likes