251D/3 radio halftrack

Anyone have a clear pic of the late style radio rack in this halftrack? Not the tubular version but the later angle iron version ?
I understand th basic rack didn’t change,just the radio configuration between the type I through the type VII.
TIA Gents,
J

Would that maybe be in the Panzer Tracks books?

No interior pics or drawings in the PzTracks book.
J

Ok, I’ll have to think where I’ve seen a pic of this style

1 Like

I found this:

It’s a restoration, so I don’t know how accurate it is.

More:

If they don’t help you, maybe they will help someone. There is not much out there.
Ken

3 Likes

Wikipedia lists five different variants of the 251/3, with different radio equipment. I do believe they would need different radio racks, though I can’t swear to it. So perhaps you should define the radios you want to install, and then you may find that frame in another context.

David

1 Like

Yes, it is rather hard to find much on these beasts. I have found an article showing a late model frame dug out of a filled bomb crater near Hill112 in Normandy. It is the angle iron style frame from later in the war, apparently issued right around the May/June time frame but also apparently for a type 6 radio track. I had thought the 6’s were discontinued around 1943. So I was going for a type 3 and they have at least 7 sub variants, depending on the radio set up. The frames seem to be the same though for all the variants, with minor changes. I may end up using the earlier tube frame and whatever radios I can gather from what I have here already. Pretty sure I can meet the requirements of at least one version. Anyhow, thanks all, for helping out here.
J

Would the rack be similar to the cable laying rack of the 251/11 M FERNSPRECH PZ WG?

3 Likes

Check out this thread from Missing-Lynx: Sd.Kfz. 251/3 Ausf D radios for PzGrd Company Stab zug vehicle - Missing-Lynx.
Andrew Deeley and Ken Balzco provided some info on the later angle iron radio rack in their answers to my inquiry.

1 Like

thanks for the pic but sadly no, completely different puppy.
J

Hello,

There is a similar thread on Missing Links.

Someone there shared a pdf document that provides lots of details related to the later radio rack. Also, there’s an older book : “Sd Kfz 251 in Polish Museums” that contains pictures of the later 251/3 radio rack.

Here’s one additional link:

https://www.dishmodels.ru/gshow.htm?p=4023

It’s in Russian but has useful information and pictures. You can use google translate to translate the text.

One other thought, there is a photo etch of the later frame made by a company called “Part” ( Part P35-041 1/35 Sd.Kfz.251/3-IV Ausf.D ROSI). I found that this item is available on ebay for a reasonable price:

This later frame is based on “Rosi” a Sd.Kfz.251/3-IV found in a Polish river. However as you said, the frame seems to be generic so it would at least give you a good start on your project. Figuring out the radio configuration and finding suitable radios in 1/35 scale is a separate issue. That’s the piece I’ve been working on.

1 Like

I am still digging for intel but I thank all so far that have posted!! Excellent stuff guys! Glad to have it. Also, for general knowledge I have found a great resource I visit often called www.laud.no. It has great full color pics of all the major German WWII players in the radio world.
As far as the telephone track goes. I have climbed that particular mountain years ago and am currently rebuilding the project.

J

7 Likes

OK I figure I might as well turn this into a mini build log since we made a good start with all the excellent intel/linkies, etc.

I began with a nice reasonably priced AFV kit of the 251/1.

I like the level of detail and care that was taken in producing this kit. Nice basic kit. I wanted muted tones so I used a new technique for myself,painting an overall undercoat of medium matte brown and then drybrushing 2 tones of DG over it. Barn Von Munchausen stands in the painted half underway…

Sort’ve satisfied with the look I took it through to the rear and tied my hand at painting the fire suppressor labels on. Not too bad. I started on building a late war radio rack as well. Baron Von Munchausen points the way.

Thanks for looking,
J

4 Likes

I was just looking through some of the old posts on Archive1944-1945 and saw this collage of pics that Barry Crook had posted. The pic at the top right of the collage appears to show the late style radio rack.

Also, I think your 251/11 looks great.
Bill Moran

1 Like

Thanks man,great intel !
J

Got some bits and bobs added.

7 Likes

Got a lil sumthin’ sumthin’ done last night. Added the storage shelf for headsets, etc. and roughed out the basic boxes for the 3 radios. They are just tacked in place and need sanding,etc. Then on to building the front panel details and lastly…wiring ! DOH !!

5 Likes

Built and painted the front face of the 30watt sender

12 Likes

Looks great!!

1 Like