3.7cm Flak 37 - Color Choices?

3.7cm Flak 37 - Color Choices?

This is the kit in question, from 1989 when reseach on color was pretty sparse.

Anyone have information to share on appropriate color choices for the 3.7cm Flak 36/37?

Looking to do something other than a dark yellow or tri-color.

The gun was used from 1936 to 1945, so would that allow for the typical range of German AFV colors for that time period?

Dunkelgrau RAL 7021 aka Panzer Gray appropriate?

After Feb of 1943,
Dunkelgelb (RAL 7028)
Olivegrün (RAL 6003)
Rotbraun (RAL8017)

Was the Flak 3.7cm used in North Africa? I think that could make for an interesting color choice if so.

Typical two-thirds yellow-brown (gelbbraun RAL 8000) and one-third gray-green (graugrün RAL 7008) for before March 1942?

After March 1942, Inspectorate 2 ordered that gelbbraun and graugrün were to be replaced by brown (braun RAL 8020) and gray (grau RAL 7027) once existing paint stocks were depleted, using the same pattern.

So would these colors also be suitable?

Thank you

Note to moderators, I wasn’t sure where Artillery/Flak questions should go. Please feel free to move if needed.

1 Like

This is a really good question. I will be following this topic as I have the same kit and was wondering what color schemes I could paint it in.

from this 2012 (!) thread

H.P.

4 Likes

@Frenchy , Frenchy WOW!

That picture is truly worth a 1,000 words! That’s an outstanding find.

Thank you!

The thread from 2012 is pretty interesting too. Good read. :+1:

Looks like a Flak 3.7 cm with DAK colors is on the horizon.

You’re welcome. To be honest I didn’t remember posting this picture but Google is here to help…

Here’s a slightly better version :

https://www.militaryimages.net/media/afrika-korps-3-7cm-flak.21991/full?d=1521492878

Another one (I’m no Flak expert…) ?

H.P.

1 Like

Is that a real colour photo, do you know?
The barrel looks black / very dark grey. The rest of it looks like it was originally grey, and had been over painted with very thin paint, or possibly just with mud?

Got no clue… :thinking:

H.P.

That must be the first German forces in North Africa - notice they are still wearing the early pith helmets - and they haven’t had the chance, or the paint, to repaint their equipment. In any case, the barrel and receiver would remain bare steel/gun metal, and the carriage, shield, and base, in this pic, is dark gray.
:smiley:

Thinking of trying Mr Paint for this since I don’t have an equivalent Floquil colors on hand.

Any one have experience with Mr Paints Acrylic-Lacquers?

I’m not a color accuracy fanatic, in the least. However, Mr Paint nailed the accuracy of Panzer Gray so perfectly that one can’t see the difference in a Mr. Paint painted test chip and actual Panzer Gray. Mr. Paint was the only one that matched. 14-shades-of-panzer-grey-paint-review

Probably Gelbbraun ( RAL 8000) & Graugrun ( RAL 7008)

PS - no wonder in black and white pictures those two usually look the same.

Wait a minute, is this like that blue dress / gold dress photo? I mean I can see it is grey in some places, but it looks like more than just dust - does it? I’ve seen photos where vehicles have been coated with sand / earth mixed into a watery paste.

Possibly, but I was commenting on the original paint color used. If there is a sand slurry washed onto the gun carriage, I’m of the opinion that the base color is dark gray.
:smiley:

1 Like

From the for what it’s worth files.(Possible spoiler alert.)
Alan Ranger. Camera On #20 On the 3.7cm Flak 18/36/37
It states the original 3.7cm flak was the 18 (the one with gunner on the other side)
followed by the 36 and then the 37.
This book states the main way to tell the 36 from the 37 is the 36 has perforations
down to the level of the recoil spring while the 37 does not. So going by them the Colour Pic it is a 36 while the Model Kit in question is a 37. The B/W pic is hard to tell as it seems to have a cover in that area.
No idea when the change over occured.
Bill

1 Like

nice parapet!
glt

Thanks for the ID Bill (I said I was no expert :wink: ). A reviewer of the Revell 1/72nd scale Sd.kfz 7/2 kit lists a few more differences :
https://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/RevellAG/AlMagnus_Revell_03207_review.htm

According to the caption I’ve found, the b&w picture is dated January 1943…

H.P.