42nd Highland Infantry Regiment "Black Watch" at the Battle of Quatre Bras in June, 1815

Hatchet Man Reporting for Duty

This fine chap is ready for battle. It’s kinda funny, after 17 years of working mid-night shift I still occasionally wake up around midnight and can’t get back to sleep, and I’ve been retired for over three years, sheesh! Rather than lay there tossing and turning for hours it only makes sense to get back into the bunker and “sniff some paint”, and that I did.

I was really tempted to redo the tartan, but after a light and dark wash I was told by my wise council to carry on. I’m glad I did, because I really wasn’t in the mood to do this twice. So, this morning I started working the socks and come to find out it wasn’t as difficult as I had imagined. Ya never know till ya take that dive and it becomes real apparent right quick, wouldn’t ya say?

Working my way down the figure I painted the flesh tones of the legs in standard fashion. Whenever I get this far on a figure, I like to close out anything above so I won’t inadvertently rub off any oils or damage anything done prior. Usually, the nose paint gets rubbed off during handling and gets a touch up, but not much else. That canteen may need attention as well since I’m not exactly sure what markings are appropriate. Hopefully someone will know the answer to that question, because I’m not finding anything concrete that is clearly visible in reference photos.

I used thinned Tamyia XF-7 Flat Red and began to draw out the stripes around the sock keeping in mind that there is a seam in the back. Actually, that was a big help in that I did not have to try to keep the symmetry in mind and the pattern could end naturally at that seam. It’s not really noticeable, but it is there. Then, each diamond shape that does not over-lap was given a light touch of Titanium White oils and then washed out so the pattern looks like a true stitch pattern as seen in the reference photos. I reemphasized the outline of the pattern with a super thin line at the edges of each stripe. Now why couldn’t the tartan stripes be this easy?

Next, I used a mix of Ultra Marine Blue and Cadmium Red oils to create the shadows and a mix of Titanium White and Cadmium Red for the highlights. Lastly the boots and leggings were done in the standard fashion and will receive more attention when the final weathering takes place to mate these figures to the base.

Hatchet Man will now take a side step for the next figure and off we go. If you see anything I may have miss, sing out, I’ll get er done.

Thanks for watching. Cheers, Ski.

11 Likes

These are without question, some of the best examples of small scale painting and finishing I have seen. The detail is breathtaking… And every one so far is ultra realistic… I think there is sorcery taking place here … :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks, Johnny. No sorcery Brother, not a chance, only God given talent, cause I sure the heck couldn’t do this on my own. :wink:

4 Likes

Bag Piper

Just a quick update for now. As you can see the process has been unchanged on the Piper from Hatchet Man. It’s moving along much smoother now. The right arm has been painted but will remain detached until the final paint down to the boot. That sword is too delicate to take the chance of snapping.

The tartan pattern took quite less time this go round, but the lines were very time consuming. There is essentially two tartans to paint on the Piper, the pipe bag being the second pattern to place. The usual dark wash and light filter was applied as before.

I’ve got a few more days of rain coming, so I’ll try to finish this one by the middle of the week.

Thanks for watching, all comments welcome. Cheers, Ski.

8 Likes

Please refer to post 82 :grin: :grin: :rofl: :+1:

3 Likes

The faces on these fellas are incredible. Full of character!
G.

I second post 82.

2 Likes

Jeez I thought I was lazy lol

2 Likes

Ok, you two, I’m Polish, but I have an excuse, I don’t see Post Numbers. I feel so helpless, Bahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Thanks, Gents!

Thanks, Brother!

4 Likes

:joy: I am a mixed mutt. I am sure we have some Polish blood in the mix.

“These are without question, some of the best examples of small scale painting and finishing I have seen. The detail is breathtaking… And every one so far is ultra realistic… I think there is sorcery taking place here”

On my phone, the lower right has the number of the post with the total numbers.

3 Likes

Aaaah, them new-fangled contraptions, sheesh, how’s a guys suppose ta know?

Tanks, Bro!!!

2 Likes

Three’s a Charm. Piper Finished.

Here’s the line up so far with the piper finished this morning. Nothing has changed in the process other than the fact that I had to fabricate the mouth piece twice. Yes, twice! I couldn’t tell yah were the original went, but my first fabricated mouth piece made a distinct ”ping” sound as it flew from my tweezers right at about the time I was installing it, HA! The carpet monster refused to fess up with it, so I had to make another one. So goes life in the bunker.

The piper will set aside with the rest of the growing crew as I begin working the Flag Bearer.

If you see anything I may have missed, sing out, I’ll get after it right away. Thanks for watching.

Cheers, Ski.

9 Likes

If anyone dares do that they need shooting !!! Seriously though… They are EPIC. Words fail me :+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

Hoots mon, get a gdrrrip on the tweezares! :laughing:

1 Like

[quote=“Johnnych01, post:94, topic:17831”]
If anyone dares do that they need shooting !!! Seriously though…[/quote]

Thanks, Brother!

Yep, that was a typical “trainee” malfunction, lol. You’d think I would know better by now. I do have the spring-loaded set, but placing delicate items can be more difficult using them. Oh well, live and learn.

1 Like

I have lately been handling small parts with double side tape on the end of a toothpick- wax pencils of the type used to handle rhinestones are another option. No tweezer launch.

2 Likes

Thoroughly enjoying the fine work on your clan, Ski. Thank’s for sharing!
Hoots mon, let’s stay on topic… I just liked saying “Hoots mon!” :rofl:

—mike

1 Like

Well, I missed this one so far, really missed something… read up on this topic, and this is some serious painting… fantastic details, that flag, the tartan, those socks… this is detail painting next level!

1 Like

Outstanding work Ski, and that flag is simply a thing of beauty, amazing paint job, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

Now that would work, thanks for the tip, no more rookie actions here, HA! :wink:

Thanks, Mike!

Welcome aboard, Amigo!

Tanks, G-Man!!!