70 Petty Superbird

This will be a road track version. i had bought this years ago at the nnl east. it was just the primed body and an old monogram nascar chassis that was modified with rear leaf springs and front k frame and torsion bars added as you can see. the trunk was already cut open so i plan to detail it with a fuel cell. i quickly realized the chassis was not going to work, i didn’t like how the front suspension was lining up to the wheel wells. a friend also pointed out by this point most teams had done away with the k frames so i decided to use the chassis of the 68 road runner. i cut out the k frame except for the part that had the motor mounts.

I then started the interior and got this far before i noticed in my research the rear firewall was not correct and i had the side panels ready to be glued in when i also noticed the rollcage was not inside the panels but the panels were actually cut out to allow the bowed side bars to espaned out to the outer door skin.

so i had two choices, leave it as is or chop up my work and make the changes.i decided on the changes.

4 Likes

The most legendary number in NASCAR history. The King Approves. :+1:

4 Likes

Along with one of the most recognized colors in racing. It’s Petty Blue!

2 Likes

Notice no driver net on the window. at the time they were recomended not required. petty had a serious crash at Darlington that year where he was hanging out the window while the car rolled, you can probably find it on youtube. After that nascar made nets mandatory.

I have done more work will post an update when i take some more photos.

2 Likes

As simple as that color scheme is, at the same time it’s complicated!

2 Likes

The harder one was the STP red and Richard Petty blue scheme. When STP became his main sponsor they wanted 43 all in STP red, but it was a notoriously difficult color to apply. Petty bargained with them to allow half the car to remain in his trademark blue.
The blue itself is another interesting story. Petty wanted his neighbor to paint his car, but the neighbor didn’t have enough of any one color to cover the whole car, so he mixed blue and white together Apparently they were quite pleased with the result.

4 Likes

Joe,
This is one great build for sure. From your description of an old kit using a old Monogram Nascar chassis from their Nascar kits of the time.

I’m already somewhat confused at to the chassis modifications. The brown chassis is from the 68 Road Runner, with the motor mounts grafted from the Superbird chassis. Why is the K White while the rest of the chassis Blue?
joel

1 Like

what i heard was it was extra paint left over in their shop that they mixed up and got the petty blue. there is more than blue and white in it. i think they eventually had it professionally matched. what ever the story it is has become one of the most mysterious colors ever created.

This thread actually motivated me to build a Superbird as well. I was shopping at Walmart last night and i found a limited edition 1969 Charger Daytona kit in the metal tin and picked it up.

I’ll try my hand at cars, since I mostly do 1/35 armor.

4 Likes

Welcome to the dark side. Looking forward to following your build.
joel

2 Likes

let me know how that kit is. i just bought one also. although similar in looks it is actually a different car from the superbird engineered completely differently from it. i actually like the daytona better looks wise.

Joe

1 Like

Yes. The Daytona preceded the Superbird. The Daytona was only built in 1969, while the Superbird was made in 1970.

The big difference was the rear wing on thf Superbird was swept further back than on the Daytona.

1 Like

I’ll be looking forward to this for dang sure Reynier!!

2 Likes

Beautiful work on that 68 Roadrunner frame Joe. Looks to be another one of your epic builds that I’ll be watching with great interest.

2 Likes

Got a lot more work done since, just got to post some photos. I chopped up the interior and made the changes, scratch made some upper A frames. trying to find out how the rear shocks are mounted, under the chassis or through the chassis and mounted in the drivers compartment using a brace- see picture below, you see a silver cage like mount in the rear shelf. Anyone know if petty was using this in his superbirds? not sure what year they stopped using this method and since these were 2 new chassis made for these cars it may have beeen eliminated.
this is not my build-

2 Likes

Joe,
You’re the Nascar Guru for sure. The chassis really looks good especially that bracket.

joel

1 Like

I wouldn’t say guru joel. i am still learning about this era.
now for an update on the work. as i said i tore out the rear firewall pictured above and scratch built a new one that i think is closer to how the actual car was.the cage was scratch built except for the side bars, they came from an ertle nascar.

![20221013_1141351|375x500](upload://7avWCVqXppzeu2jNWc75nTr2FBz.jpeg
started the engine cage, scratch made some upper A frames so a pair of shocks can pass inside them and constructed some frame supports from plastic rod. they should be square tube but i don’t have any. got to put some on my to get list. also assembled the rear leaf springs and differential and added the shock mounts. here is where this part of the build is held up as referenced before i am not sure if the shocks mount to the underside or if i have to drill four holes in the chassis to allow the shocks to pass through to a bracket mounted inside over the area of the rear axle. it is difficult to find reference photos which is why i ask if anyone can help.

i also cut the front spindles off and re glued them higher to get the ride height lower.
more to come, did some more work yesterday.

Joe

3 Likes

Joe,
The roll cage looks like it came with the kit. Just an excellent job. And all the fabrication especially to the rear end shows your exceptional scratch building and detailing work.

Wish I could help you with your questions, but I know almost nothing about stockcars.

joel

2 Likes

chassis primed and working on the trunk underside frame. engine is mostly done, i am going to use strip of black masking tape for the belt, the rest will be added when i install the engine. engine is from the amt roadrunner donor kit, i resin cast the bathtub intake. Now, anyone know what i can do with an orphaned 68 roadrunner body? :thinking:

6 Likes

Joe,
Great progress on the chassis. I’m just super impressed. The engine and especially the engine hood insulation is looking outstanding. Love how you die cast out of resin these days.

joel

3 Likes