A new 1:200 YAMATO is coming!

So it looks as though the hull comes largely assembled .

We call it “Mission Creep”

What are the odds of a molded hull the size of a bath tub being warped…
Just trying to help those fighting the slide into a purchase.

I am going to be honest on two points.

1. I don’t know what I am talking about.
  2. I am disappointed with the hull molding. Unless I am wrong, Japanese shipbuilders would not make a hull with the metal planks so poorly jointed. The hull plates on most ships fit well enough to look smooth and the joints mate up evenly. Not so on the hull in the video. Check out 8:59 on the video for a comparison.

2 Likes

Greg, I have to (sadly) agree! The plates look accurate but exaggerated, especially for a 1940s state of the art Imperial Navy ship. The Japanese were proud of their electric welding technique which was lighter, stronger, and hydrodynamically superior (i.e., smoother) to previous methods. Although I’m not aware of any photos of Yamato-class underwater hulls, photographs of other Imperial Navy ships of the era clearly show that the hulls did not have the heavy plating evident on the big Trumpeter model.

This exaggerated approach to plating can also be seen on their 1/200 Hood and 1/350 Yorktown/Enterprise, among others… it is one of Trumpeter’s bad habits - like clear-molded ship’s aircraft, which most modelers also dislike. I wish they would stop doing this!

From what I can see in the video the shape of the hull appears to be accurate, so the modeler can either live with that plating or sand it off… but this is seriously annoying in a kit this big and expensive!

:confounded:

1 Like

The plating on the torpedo bulges was 14 mm thick, overlapping joints.
14 mm / 200 = 0.07 mm (2.75 thousands of an inch)

Edit: The thinnest Evergreen styrene sheet is 0.13 mm or close to twice as thick as the bulge plating

1 Like

The only Capital Ships of the IJN with Hull Plating were the Kongo Class that I know of as they were British Built. I could be wrong though…Cheers mark

Ahoy everyone.
Of course, the boat is already in my shipyard.
I can show you the following picture of the length of the monster.

You can place my Bismarck completely in the Yamato’s hull. :flushed:

6 Likes

Hehe Jörg sooner or later the moment will come you will have to decide to use the available living space together with your wife or your ships :grin:

2 Likes

WOW, I’m so excited to watch you construct this monster - especially after seeing the spectacular job you did on the Bismarck! Popcorn in hand, I’m grabbing a front row seat!

1 Like

Yes Thomas.
I fear that too. I might be able to use the hull as a bathtub. :sweat_smile:

Thanks Tim.
I look forward to welcoming you to my cinema. However, it will probably take quite a while until I build this monster, because I want to tackle the pree dreadnought ship Mikasa after the Falcon.

1 Like