About the Bulgarian WWII Campaign category

Group Build Description: This campaign is about equipment, used by the Bulgarian Army in WWII.

Timeline- start September 8th 2021, end March 3d 2022 (Sep.8th 1944 Bulgaria declares war on Nazi Germany, March 3d is the National Day of Bulgaria). I’m open to any changes proposed.

Equiment- tanks, assault guns, cars, trucks, guns, wingy things- the choice is yours.
No scale restrictions- build in the scale you feel most comfortable in.
Feel free to add figures, dio bases and whatever enhancement you feel like.
Build as much as you like(I’ll build at least 3 tanks).
Have fun

1 Like

This Campaign is now Active.

1 Like

Thanks Matt!

@Johnnych01 , @Panzer_modeler , @k_mero4 , @Tank_1812 , @petbat , @SGTJKJ , @Armor_Buff

Gentlemen,

This is now the active thread of Bulgarian WWII Campaign.
Please post your starting or in-progress pictures here!

The old thread

is locked now and posting there is not possible anymore!

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the heads up. Thought the thread was just going to be moved and continued to be posted in. Semper Gumby, here we post them. :+1:

1 Like

I understand. These are the starting photos I uploaded in the old thread.
I am building FW-189 A-2 from the 1st Reconnaissance Air Regiment.

And this is my work progress in building the model.

Kind regards!
Kalin

4 Likes

I know guys, it would be much simpler and make much more sense to just shift a thread from “Staging Area” to “Active” without a break, but the system just doesn’t work that way. Perhaps we can get Jim to change that.

1 Like

No Problem Matt, we are adaptable if nothing else :crazy_face:

My start pic again:

3 Likes

Yep, here my repost

I have added Mr Surfacer to my figure to smooth out some of the work on the uniform. I will post a photo once I add the arms and maybe some paint.

3 Likes

I think the Border Pz IV mid/late G kit will be my choice for this unless it’s inappropriate.

Kit isn’t started and it will probably be several months before I get moving on it.

2 Likes

Yeah, it would make sense, Matt, and it would be great if Jim can change that!

To give some reasons to the request:

1. I created the First proposal for a Bulgarian WWII Campaign as a simple topic(that was prior to Campaign 2021 template discussion). The thread contained posts of members willing to participate,

2.Then Template 2021 went live and in compliance with the requirements I created a new Campaign topic in the Staging Area. The old topic “died”, so posting transfered to the new one.

1. Now once again we have a new topic and the previous “new” is locked🙂

The problem is one can not hold track of questions and answers(and I have given a lot of them), and it is getting a bit too complicated finding previous topics…

Cheers,
Angel

2 Likes

Kalin, Peter, Ryan and Wade,

Thanks for being so swift in adaptation!

I might be able to start my build a bit earlier than projected,

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

It might be unique to this campaign as I am not 100% sure other campaigns have such in-depth knowledge before hand but as an international forum I could foresee other nation specific campaigns in the future where this could an issue again.

1 Like

Wade,

Herewith a link to the info I provided in an earlier topic:

HTH,
Cheers,
Angel

Yes Angel, I agree with you, and that is the reason why I simply locked the topic. The usual procedure is to hide the old topic, making it invisible to readers. That would have been a great loss in this case.

3 Likes

Very good choice. It can be used to build any Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.G that was in service in the Bulgarian Army (period 1943-45).
Congratulations.
Kalin

2 Likes

I’ve started construction of my Horch M.222 car.

I’ve built the engine( it is not present in Tristar’s kit I’ll use), kindly provided by Kalin @k_mero4 (from HobbyBoss #82442) and found out I’ll need more parts from this kit(radiator and radiator mount, the gearbox, engine mounts e.t.c.).That’s not a big problem- but a question of tiny investment- so I bought kit 82442 too.

The engine is oversimplified

It lacks the quite prominent air filters, both ignition coils, the wheel that drives the fan belt e.t.c.
Because I intend to leave both side engine covers open, I need to detail it a bit and make it look the part:
Horch 3,8 V8

I’ve also made some research and sources I have showed, that I cannot use kit decals.

By inverting the colors of my reference picture

I was able to read the reg. plate of the Horch M.222, inscribed “с. Бѣло поле”- it is В 70016
Inverted В 70016 cropped

The records confirmed this finding- they state, the cars that took part in the operations in Hungary and Austria were as follows:

• M.222: В 70007, В 70016
  • M.223: В 70008

Now- kit decal provides reg. number В 70007 only, with the inscription “Бѣло поле”. The inscription is not full, as it lacks the “с.” in front of the other 2 words; “с.” in Bulgarian is abbreviation for “село”(village)- the Serbian village of Belo Pole was one of the locations, where heavy battles were fought, its name was inscribed on at least one Pz.IV Ausf.G too:

Bison/Star Decal provide the full inscription, but give as reg. plate В 70010…Registration number В 70010 was carried by a M.223 car (better known as le.Pz.Sp.Wg(fu) or Sd.Kfz.223), so a very different vehicle.

This means I’ll use Bison/Star decals for unit sign and inscription and need to find solution for reg. number В 70016…

Plenty of fun ahead!

Cheers,
Angel

3 Likes

How good are your fine painting skills Angel?

Cut out a small section from the top right of the ‘0’ in the Bison decal set when it is still on the backing. Wet it and then place it on the vehicle. When dry, add the loop through to the left with a brush stroke of black…

That image shows the number is fairly faded and it looks worn off at the edges or is mud encrusted. You could probably use that to your advantage and get away with just nicking out the section and showing peeled paint through the diagonal.

The front number will be a little more difficult as Bison has that one printed on white. Either nick out the section, repaint white in the missing section, then wick the brush over that for the loop or go the worn/mud encrusted path…

2 Likes

It is possible to combine the numbers from the license plates of Pz.Kpfw.IV. Peter’s idea is very good, but knowing Angel … I think he’s looking for other solutions more often. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Gentlemen - the original Campaign thread is now here in this category. I am still getting used to the admin job and I deeply apologize for my oversight. I am still learning this system. You can now post to the first thread, and I will get rid of this one if you want me to so as to avoid any more confusion. Again, very sorry.

1 Like