So this weekend I finally was able to attend a Phoenix AMPS meeting. During the meetings, the club also encourages working on a model to pass the time, so I started this one that I’ve had in my stash for awhile. Academy’s 1/35 M981 Fire Support Team Vehicle, aka FISTV. These things are extremely similar to the M901 ITVs that I served on once upon a time, although instead of TOW missiles, they are full of radios, a laser designator, observation gear, and other tools for the trade for artillery forward observers.
Anyways, here is the kit box
A photo of the real thing during Desert Shield/Desert Storm that I’ll be using for reference. Not many photos to be found of these things there.
and how much I assembled during the meeting
I’ll be taking this one slow for now, as I have several other higher priority projects to wrap up first.
@SableLiger, I was in E Co. 3/10 Inf and E Co. 4/6 Inf, 5th ID (Mech) in the 80’s. I have built that same Italeri M901 long ago.
@Seanmcandrews, will I be fixing the cupola as in replacing it? No. It looks close enough for me.
@petbat, how does the designator area look? Very weak. They have something resembling a TOW day sight in there, but the vision flap for that is molded closed. I need to drill that out. No AN/TAS-4 thermal sight is provided for what I presume looks thru the upper opening. But I have no solid reference on what goes inside of there. I presume that it is something like this old beast? The size is about right…
@HeavyArty, I agree about the cupola, and thanks for the tips on drinking straws as the antenna base guards. I think that the kit has parts for those, but they will be much thicker of course. Nice work on your ITV to FISTV conversion.
After a few months of sitting on the sidelines, I pulled this one back out and resumed construction. During the So.Cal. AMPS monthly Zoom meeting I was able to get a LOT more built on this track. I’m going to build this with the hammerhead in the stowed position.
I was able to get most of the basic construction completed, although the engine deck is not glued down, only fitted in p,ace for the moment. I want to build some sort of support base for a driver’s bust/torso since that’s the easiest way to place one in there. I have trimmed down the forward hammerhead support pads a bit too much since I took the photo, so I’ll need to go back and adjust those to get the proper stowed angle. Before I trimmed them, the front sat way too high. More to come soon…
if you need some photos of the so called “hammer head” version let me know. I have one parked about a half hour south of me, but it’s the old version. Whenever the ground solidifies again that is!
I’m down there a couple times a month fishing.