Aenor 75mm (Black Crow miniatures)

I’m starting this excellent 75mm(1/24) fantasy figure of an elf warrior from Black Crow miniatures.
Parts washed and ready to paint :slight_smile:

Cheers!

3 Likes

Oh yes, one of my favorite elves, and still not in my collection… I will be watching with interest.

Mario

1 Like

Lately I found that fantasy and sci-fi figures are becoming more and more enjoyable for me :slightly_smiling_face:
I will still paint military figures in 1/35, but these 75mm (and above) are just terrific with the detail, the cast and the opportunities for painting

Cheers!

1 Like

“Lately I found that fantasy and sci-fi figures are becoming more and more enjoyable for me”
Some fifty years ago there was a model shop in the Tricorn Centre (both now long gone) in Portsmouth that sold individual components for Historex kits and using these and sheet styrene I was able to build my interpretation of a Southron Spearman from “Lord of the Rings”. The shop later had on display in the window a female warrior based on the passenger from the Airfix Beach Buggy (shortly due a re-release). That was about the state of fantasy modelling at the time, it was even another year or so before the first wargames-scale fantasy figure ranges appeared (previously one was limited to conversions from the Airfix “Robin Hood”, “Sheriff of Nottingham” and “Tarzan” sets for that sort of thing). The advent of Milliput a little later was a game changer although early editions of “Dungeons and Dragons” had illustrations which were clearly of bendy plastic creatures one bought from market stalls.
The odd thing is that although nowadays one has a wide choice of high-quality figures depicting all sorts of persons or creatures from Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and many Sub-genre I still sometimes get the urge to build/convert something of my own imagination from what is out there for other purposes. The marvelous thing is that nowadays there are a lot of 1:24th scale plastic figures (which equate to 75mm scale) available which provide an affordable basis for such conversions (indeed Master Box are producing figures in that scale which are Mythological/Fantasy/Sci-Fi but which - along with their other ranges - can be subject to further modification). Indeed it appears we are in something of a Golden Age for those of us who do not wish to be limited to that which really does exist, or has existed.
Enjoy your Elf, which looks to be a very nice model, but also give some thought as to how you might go about depicting something from your own imagination.

Regards,

M

1 Like

Thanks!

I’m sculpting figures myself, so I have some ideas for Fantasy&Sci-fi for the future :wink:

Regards!

1 Like

Wonderful! Sculpting is a skill I never acquired (and won’t now I have shaky hands); I can’t even provide some figures I wanted to convert with appropriate footwear… Even so, those 1:24th plastic figures lend themselves to having details sanded off and replaced, so bringing creativity in reach of those with limited skills. At the moment I’m pondering how to source a new left hand for the lady taking a selfie from the new version of Tamiya’s “Campus Friends Set II” , I want her pointing rather than holding a Smart Phone.
Going up a size, I’m thinking that thanks to the alternative components included the same company’s 1:12th scale “Street Rider” that kit would be a great starting point for a Post-Apocalyptic Survivor.
Anyhow, enough from me, I’ll just sit back, watch your Elf come to life, and look forward to seeing your own creations in due course.

Regards,

M

1 Like

Are you planning on selling any of those Sci-Fi figures, Venko? The market could surely use some new high-tech futuristic Sci-Fi figures.

I’m making now several historical figures, but I want to do also Fantasy&Sci-Fi. Too early for selling now :slight_smile:

Regards!

1 Like

GSW Matt black primer and Scale75 artist white for zenithal highlights.

2 Likes

Initial work on the skin and hair, all painted with Scal75 paint. I airbrushed the legs for softer transition, will touch-up with the brush later :wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

I made the hair more blonde and lighter with Vanilla white:

I used kind of NMM technique for TMM, with gradual transition from darker metal to lighter.
For the shadows I used AK Rusty gold, muted with flat black to reduce the shine. Then with gradual application of Dwarven gold, Elven gold and Citrine alchemy for highlight.
For colored effects I used thinned Inktense green and violet.

Cheers!

1 Like

Looking good. I would have opted for a bit more “elvish” pale complexion.

Mario

1 Like

Thanks!
Yeah, I think I need to add more pale look :slight_smile:

“Yeah, I think I need to add more pale look”
Maybe he’s a mixed ethnicity elf?
From the biography of one of my RPG characters: “His mother was an Elvish Princess, his father a platoon of Uruk-hai”… :grin:

Regards,

M

1 Like

Actually the artist of the boxart painted him with very warm tones, so maybe he was travelling a lot under the sun :grin:
This doesn’t mean that I’m following the boxart :wink:

Cheers!

Painting the cloak with various green ochre tones, I will make more shading and weathering later.

1 Like

Looks great. Looking forward to the next steps.

Thank you, Ryan!

I painted those leather straps hanging from the waist (I don’t remember now the exact word :slight_smile: ), with elven decorations and golden metallic. They are clean now, but there will be weathering later :wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

Great detail work on those leather straps. These details are something to bring the figure to the next level. Well done!

Mario

1 Like