African Nations - Land, Sea, Air or Elephant platforms- Friend or Foe

Turret has been repainted and I took it outside so the colour could be seen in natural light.

Now to just decide if I will attempt the camo pattern again.

5 Likes

This will likely be my last update before completion. I have decided to go with the straight brown for a few reasons.

• I like how it looks.
  • I am swiftly losing my interest in this kit and want to get it done. I also have a bunch of other stuff I want to get started on.
  • I could not be arsed to faff around with the camo if I am being honest.
  • My G6 Rhino and Rooikat are in 3 part camo so this will look a bit different.
  • And last but not least, Nostalgia. Growing up in SA I remember seeing Caspirs, Buffels, Elands and Ratels, all in the straight brown. I have photos of my brother with his Mk1a Olifant and its in the brown. So for me, thats how SANDF vehicles should look.

So that being said I went back and reworked the Tan Earth a bit. @Canmedic, I agree that picture you posted has a more sand shade to the brown. I lightened it up a bit and did some very minor modulation and ended up with:

I think it looks much better.

5 Likes

Rory it looks great. A wash and some dust and I think it’ll do your display cabinet proud.

Very nice finish. It’s your kit so paint it according to your taste.

Olivier

That should be reason enough :grinning:

Looks great :+1:

Calling her done. Took a while to finish the Olifant up. Just a combo of real life drama and working on other projects.

I am happy with how it came out in the end.

13 Likes

That turned out very good!!

Rory that looks amazing! The solid brown looks really nice. Well done!

Great work Rory. It came out very nice indeed.

Great finish Rory. Your build is inspiring. That brown is tempting even if I like the 3-tone camo too.

Olivier

I made a start on the Eduard 109 today. I was feeling a little stuck on my P-38 build because of worrying about the next step in painting. After I’d done a little work on the 109 I kind of had a breakthrough on the P-38, so now I’ve just got another kit going…

Anyway, I assembled the main parts of the wing, the bits of the engine that need to be done for this (building it with the engine canopy closed, so most of that gets left out), and some of the cockpit components. I’ll tackle the cockpit PE tonight and then hit it with some paint tomorrow. I have the Quinta cockpit set that looks pretty sweet.

I’m not going to do a separate build thread on this, but I’ll do a little commenting. Coming from the Tamiya P-38, my first reaction to this kit is Eduard is not Tamiya! So far, it’s fine really, but getting that little bit of engine assembled was fairly tricky - if you just glue it together, I’m pretty sure it’s not going to line up right, and some of the parts it’s kind of best guess about how to position them as there are no guide pins or marks even. On the upside, the top and bottom of the wing go together really well. Hopefully the fuselage will drop in seamlessly.

5 Likes

Abandoning ship on the Eduard 109. Maybe I’m wrong but that kit seems really awful…

Not abandoning the campaign though. I plan to do a Hurricane or two from the SAAF in N Africa in 1941 from this:

4 Likes

What was wrong with it if you don’t mind me asking? I picked up the E-4 not long ago

So as a rule, I do 1/72 planes wheels up, and I’d like to do this with the hurricane. There are no parts for making it wheels up, so checking to see how well the parts fit. Does the door match the opening? Will putting the wheels in on the strut still fit?

Eduard supplies some beautiful looking resin wheels. This is a bad day for me and Eduard. I think the resin wheels are probably 1/87 scale…

the original plastic from arma hobby is on the left. They just slide through the opening in the bottom of the wing. The Eduard teeny wheels are on the right. Here’s a pic of the Eduard wheels in opening in the wing…

Eduard also supplies resin exhausts and I checked them against the Arma plastic and they are identical in size, so I guess some of Eduard’s design software actually works. (OK, that was harsh, sorry, still bitter from ending last night and starting today on their ill-fitting 109 kit).

I put the landing gear bay together, leaving out the PE details which will be obscured for the most part with the wheels up and the doors closed. The landing gear bay and the upper and lower wing fit beautifully!

The Arma landing gear door doesn’t match the pattern for the opening, so I cut off the arm and will have to fabricate something. The main door matches well in shape but is slightly large. A little judicious sanding should yield something perfect. But with my sanding skills it will yield something pretty close that will need a little filler…

Looking for a good pic of the area where the door connects to the wing as there is a gap left - I think it’s a recessed panel kind of thing?

2 Likes

And then you realize you have the treasure you need…

I have a modellers datafile on the hurricane. I didn’t realize until just now (after some frustration paging through it looking for a pic) that there are 1/48 scale drawings of the underside of the hurricane! Showtime!

3 Likes

Plastic has been Cut and glued. More to follow soon :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

In between paint sessions on other builds, I have completed the second set of tracks the LVT-4… Now I can start the actual vehicle.

Do not ask how many hours went into removal, clean up and assembly - I don’t want to think about it.

2 Likes

Well, admit it, how long did it take you to put together these tracks? :grin:

2 Likes

2 Likes

:smile::smile::smile: Good one, Peter :wink: