African Nations - Land, Sea, Air or Elephant platforms- Friend or Foe

A little more progress on my Libyan SU-22.

More to follow soon :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Looking good Jesper.

I have been working on my build as well, in between painting others. Pretty much completed the build of the LVT 4, now I need to build the Bofors and scratch build the mount and shields. A bit of filler here and there, for some gaps and sink marks, but generally not too bad for AFV Club. However, getting it all to fit and align properly was a major task. Lots of tape, clamps and rubber bands needed. I made the mistake to gluing the upper floor to the lower hull - bad move. Fit the lower hull to the sides, then add the floor. Otherwise the sides do not fit in the gap between floor components.

Anyway…

3 Likes

Opps, some build pics:

And why you need to fit the hull bottom first>>>

8 Likes

The ordnance underwing stores really show their age in the KP kit.

I will use the wing tanks from the kit, AA missiles from eduard, and drilled out the rocket pods from the kit. Quite some drilling, but worth it in the end.

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Those rocket pods look great. Well worth the work of drilling them out.
Is this the 1/72 kit? I’m on the lookout for a good Su-17/22 and there seem to a lot of reboxings of both the Pantera and KP kits.

1 Like

This is the SU-17/22 in 1/48 scale from KP/Smer/eduard. It is a nice kit although especially the cockpit and underwing stores are a bit soft in detail.

I have build the KP/Smer 1/72 SU-22 in the past. I cannot recommend it. Raised lines and (very) soft details. I would go for something else.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll stick clear of that one.
Most reviews I’ve to suggest that the Pantera is the better of the two, it’s just tricky to work out which of them you’re going to get. Both seem to get reboxed by a few different companies.

We really could do with a new tool.

Spent a couple of hours trial and error, to make a cardboard mock up of the gun shield and support Pillar for the Bofors in the LVT4. After a few attempts it looked right in the vehicle, would be able to turn without fouling the sides, etc, so I was pretty happy when I went to bed.

Of course there are no pics of the inside of these vehicles, so a lot is conjecture, especially about the gun mount and the platform the shields are attached to etc. I had to trim off the rear section of the platform on the AFV Club kit, but the one reasonable view of this vehicle suggests it and the spent shell shute that was mounted under the gun was removed. Presumably, the spent shell was deflected down at the rear, not out the front as usual…

Dry fit the gun etc for size… all good… until this morning, when I attached some parts to the Bofors that I’d left off in case of breakage during test fitting. See the flaw in my 'Cunning plan"?

5 Likes

Uhhhh…. No room for traversing handles to turn or elevate the gun. :face_with_peeking_eye:

It must have been a very tight fit in the real thing.

1 Like

Time to start my build after the vacation, South African S-50 in 1/48 scale, old Airfix tool ( I know, manly stuff).

Build will be OOB, with the exception of the FOD covers I hope to get from the new tooling when the kit arrives.

6 Likes

Nice Nikos. One of my favourite aircraft. No glamorous, a bit on the tubby side… but what is not to love.

2 Likes

I will try and see if I can get to finish this within the time allocated…

5 Likes

So jealous. Trying to find one of these that is affordable is like searching for hens teeth!

Theres always the option of the kidney selling ? could get a few decent overpriced kits as well as that one … I have considered it lol

1 Like

That’s every kit these days. Walked through my local store last week and almost had a stroke. Some of those kits have gone up over 50% the last couple years.

2 Likes

God tell me about it, some prices are eye watering sadly

I have had this one for decades! It most probably was still in production at the time…
I am not fully satisfied with the kit: the lamp guards are not present, there is one coil spring missing (casting block simply contains 5 instead of six) and the instruction is terrible. Leaving a lot to guess…

Baxmodels in ZA made resin kits everything from the Buffel to the G6 Rhino.

Not sure if the still do.

I have a G6, Rooikat, AML 90 (Noddy Car) and two Shot Kals for my Mk1a Olifant in my stash. Will need to start soon.

Got some bits and pieces to build an early Bosvark.

Would love a Ratel 90 and a Buffel.

Great watching you guys!

1 Like

Unfortunately they have been out of stock for a long while so no joy there.

I have built the G6 and the Rooikat and they are good kits, very happy with them. I have also built the Olifant Mk2 which was a bit of a pain (tracks) but ended up looking pretty good.

2 Likes

I’m at painting stage on my Rooikat, but that is for the Trumpeter build. A few little faults, but nothing earthshattering…

Is that a BaxModel kit, or the Takom or Tiger AML 90? Did the SADF use the AML 90 as depicted in the kits or only the Eland type with the very different rear end?

1 Like