AFV Club Churchill MKIII Dieppe build log - interior scratch work complete below top of hull

But of delay on the build, trying to finish up my T-54 which should be off the bench in the next few days. In the meantime here is one of the four 100 round Bren gun drum magazines built up. Still have to add the carry handle but mostly done. Followed these photos at forgotten weapons

They were made with .668 cm disk cut out of .01” stock with a protractor, and a 3.2mm disk cut out with a punch. The smaller disks looked out of scale and were sanded to .005” thickness The middle was made of 1.5mm strip of .01” stock

1 Like

Just remember when it comes to painting Blossom T68561R , as a rebuild was painted in Khaki Green No.3. Looking forward to watching the build.

2 Likes

That’s the plan, I had toyed with SCC brown, but I think Khaki is the way to go. Are you aware of a good Khaki Green No.3 recipe?

AK Real Colours has Khaki Green No. 3 if you don’t want to fart around with home brew.

If you’re stuck on being a Tamiya alchemist Go down to the bottom of Mike Starmer’s page

I don’t mind getting AK real colors, probably time I branch out. Any chances they be thinned with X20 A, or should I get a bottle of Tamiya lacquer thinner?

I’ve never tried. I use Mr. Colour Leveling or just cheap Home Depot lacquer thinner

WHATEVER YOU DO DONT USE X-20A thinner, water or IPA!!! :rofl:

Both me and Dennis made this mistake and it cost him his airbrush… it only cost me a paint brush…

When we tried mixing it with those listed above it turned into goopy slime (its the best word I can think of) and dried almost immediately into a rock.

I would ask @iwatajim Im pretty sure he uses a lot of AK real colors.

2 Likes

Great to know glad I didn’t do that!

On AK real color? Water I grant you but I have used X-20A and IPA on AK real color with no issues at all. That being said, a proper lacquer thinner like Mr. Levelling Thinner is always best.

2 Likes

Actually sorry, I meant just plain X-20 thinner. When I tried mixing it with IPA though it did the same thing as with water… huh thats weird. :thinking:

Yeah I have only used ak’s own proprietary Real Color thinner and mr colour levelling thinner with AK real color. Frankly I haven’t looked back since starting to use mr color levelling thinner, it is magical stuff. If I want a proper Matt finish I will use x20a or ipa, but that is rarely the case what with weathering etc, although I have not tried either with real color paints.

2 Likes

Go with Tamiya lacquer thinner.
Just used it last Sunday.

1 Like

I use AK Real Color all the time now and thin it 50/50 with Klean Strip lacquer thinner from home depot. I buy it for $12 a gallon. It works wonders and is FAR cheaper than the hobby brands. I swear by it.

3 Likes

I’m the same as Matt, I use a cellulose thinner from the car shop Halfords over here in the UK… Works perfect and comes in a litre can, lot more cost effective

They’re a little more expensive and the pots are a little smaller than Tamiya, but I hate mixing paints, especially if my paint sessions are over a few days or I goof something down the road and need to go back and fix something. I’ll never not use Tamiya, especially for things like basic colours or using them for weathering but the fact that AK is putting out these lovely and very accurate looking colours with little to no hassle has got me sold.

And while I think about it, though the pots are smaller, the paint it self seems more concentrated/thicker, so it seems to go just as far when you’re thinning it out.

1 Like

Perfect, I don’t mind mixing for things that were less standard like 4BO, but for the khaki green I think I’ll go pre-mixed with the ak real color.

Though I have definitely messed up and not mixed enough

Added cushions to both seats and some more detail to the machine gunners seat. I’ll probably down down the leather effect either some light sanding.

These were made by rolling out milliput into a thin sheet. I then pressed a small drill bit into the sheet with random orientation and pressure and then smooth it with a wet finger. I’m pretty happy with how it came out!

2 Likes

I like it!

Alright work on the Churchill progresses. With my T-54 build done, I finally got brave enough to start gluing things in. I have most of the pannier structures built up, and most of the hull floor. Most of what remains is detail stuff. Today I started on some of that detailing, adding rivets/bolts to the firewall, sidewalls where they meet the fire wall, conduits to the pannier sides and some of the wiring.

I am hoping to have most of the hull interior scratched up by next weekend.

4 Likes

Looking great @Mead93 !! Very nice work. Keep up the good work!!

1 Like