AFV Club M109 Rochev

I have AFV Clubs M109 Rochev and in trying to find reference photos on it and nothing is really coming up on google images or in any searches on you tube also Im looking for info on the updreaded M109 Rochev-Doa

What is the timeframe for your Rochev? Lebanon 1982? Later or earlier?

1 Like

Im looking for later like around the present dat time frame

Post deleted by author

2 Likes

There were are a bunch of M109 Rochev pics in the Op Iron Swords thread.

I think you are confusing the two types though. The M109 Doher is a later/updated version than the Rochev. Both types are still in use though, Rochevs with reserve units and Dohers with active units.

The Doher is updated with these external visual differences:

1. Two sub machine guns on the Doher’s turret, only one in the Rochev. The additional SMG is positioned near the sight ballistic shield.

2. Electrical travel lock (known in Hebrew as “BiFoot”) – in the Rochev one of the crewmen has to lock manually the barrel, most of the time the driver, with the assistance of the sight operator. In the Doher the crewmen can do it automatically, by electrical operation. The Doher’s travel lock is thicker than the Rochev’s, and has a rectangle box in its front side.

3. External Generator – the Doher is equipped with an external generator, positioned instead of the right-back basket and its two external cells. Due to the lack of one basket, the left basket is a bit bigger (to contain the camouflage cover).

4. Different shape of the commander’s turret – the Doher’s NCO turret can be locked in slit position, a position that does not exist in the Rochev.

1 Like

So the rochev has both the early and late sight housings?

The Rochev can have either the older pop-up sight, or later armored sight cover with glass depending on which version of M109 (A1, A2, or A3) that it was updated from. The M109 - M109A1 had the pop-up sight, A2 and newer had the armored sight. Like just about all IDF vehicles, they have been updated many times from different starting points, so you will see different variations on them.

1 Like

Post deleted by author

1 Like

The one article I read mentioned a upgraded Rochev called the Rochev-Doa know anything about that upgrade?

Never heard of it and I can’t find any references to it. I am assuming they meant the Doher upgrades.

Early rocav had the pop up site cover mid to late had the fishbowl cover
Early rocav had one Mg or 50 cal at commander hatch and during the first Lebanon war they also had the 50 Mount on the gun shield. . Also during that war a second mg was mounted on the other hatch including either a browning 30 or if they got lucky a Belgian MG

THE Dohar doesn’t have a top site and relies on GPS systems which are interior. They came with the auxiliary generator mounted on the rear of the turret, but are not often used due to weight and noise you will see some that don’t even have it and the return of the rear Turret basket of a larger size.

Late rocav also had the small velocity radar on the barrel
The Dohar was based on the development of the paladin which the IDF and the US worked on together but we only decided to take certain parts of that project for the Dohar most noticable is the electric gun lock mount .

I crewed early and late rocavs duringy reserves prior I crewed the M107/110 .

2 Likes

so the Rochev and Doher from AFV club are not accurate kits?
would you happen to know what is the current configuration for the rochev

I wouldn’t say they are not accurate, just that they represent a specific vehicle. Not all of them are the same.

For example, this is a Doher and it still has the armored sight cover up top.

1 Like

IDF armor can be confusing

1 Like

The AFV CLUB kits are totally accurate that’s why my name is on the instructions sheet on all of the including the paladin. I spent close to a year photographing them from ever angle. . What happens after they were put in the field and depending on units things get changed and added or removed due to needs of the unit and the crews.

3 Likes

That’s one of the ones that was upgraded but didn’t have the GPS aiming system…

3 Likes