Modeling Armor of Operation "Iron Swords"

I feel that same with the Ukraine War Modeling thread; this must be done… So…

On Saturday, October 7th, 2023; The Palestinian Terrorist Group Hamas, launched Operation “Al-Aqsa Flood”. In response, the Israeli Defense Forces launched a counteroffensive, dubbed “Operation Iron Swords” to repel all Hamas terrorists from within their territory and to target terrorist infrastructure within Gaza. The war has already escalated with the terrorist group Hezbollah attacking IDF sites in Northern Israel from Southern Lebanon. This thread will cover all land combat vehicles in current usage by the IDF.

Please, refrain from political posts on this thread, we can move all political discourse to the “Israel Attacked” thread in the Off-Topic section of the forum. Let’s keep this one limited to scale modeling.

12 Likes

Armored vehicles, mostly M-113s being deployed to areas of ISrael, near the Gaza Border, these are taken from news sources, like CNN, FOX News and The Jerusalem Post.

M-113 Nagmash Pikud (Command Vehicle)

M-113A1 “Chata’p” (Field Repair Vehicle)

M-113A3 “Nagmash” (standard transport vehicle without “Zelda” or “Toga” armor.)

Merkava Mk-4M staged on Israel’s Northern Border.

Namer Heavy APC on Israel’s Southern Border.

11 Likes

3 Likes

I thought the IDF completly phased out the M113

3 Likes

So did I, but they apparently have them in Reserve units, while the bigger units have Namers.

1 Like

According to wikipedia the IDF has 500 still in service and 5000 in storage

2 Likes

:+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll be watching …

12 Likes

For those of us who worry about getting the perfect “hang” of the tracks.
One is moving, the other is not. Tracks may be in different stages of wear and the track tension might be adjusted differently.

11 Likes

This also dispels the commonly held belief that live track doesn’t sag.

4 Likes

When properly tensioned it doesn’t. If they are too loose like above, they will sag.

2 Likes

I can assure you, both of these vehicles have correctly tensioned track.

5 Likes

Right, and I would not say they are sagging, but tight. To me, when people say sagging, it is like a T34 or Panzer IV, where the track is laying on the tops of and sagging between road wheels and all wavy, like the IDF M113 shown above.

4 Likes

They are sagging by definition, which is to ‘sink or bulge downwards under weight or pressure’.

‘Sagging’ does not mean ‘hanging like a witch’s tit’.

In the pictures, you can visually confirm the ‘sag’. The Spartan has a lovely even ‘sag’, the CET’s track wouldn’t be ‘tight’ unless the track wasn’t in contact with all of the road wheels. The perfect ‘sag’ (sag being the actual word used in the crew manual) is where the track is touching the third road wheel, which it is.

Actually, the correct term is a ‘catenary action’.

4 Likes

IMG_6228

Merkava MkIIID tanks posted near Kibbutz Misgav Am on the Lebanese border.

IMG_6229

IMG_6230

6 Likes

Exactly, the same on an M113 or an M109. I think we are saying the same thing with a common language getting in the way. Saluting from across the pond.

3 Likes

Well no - that example of sag is correct for the CET, I don’t know what it would be for the two vehicles you mentioned.

The point is you unambiguously said that live track doesn’t sag when correctly tensioned, when patently, for some vehicles, it does. Salutations.

Merkava 3Baz not Dor Dalet.

The M113 is still in service with some branches like the Engineer Corps and the the units responsible for forward maintance, cant recall the name.

9 Likes

Touching the 3rd road wheel is correct tension for them as well.

4 Likes

H.P.

10 Likes

Near the Lebanese-Israeli border :

H.P.

9 Likes