Airfix Vintage Classic Beach Buggy 1/32 scale re released

Airfix have re-released a well loved vintage kit of the Bugle Buggy, base on the VW Beetle under pining’s, the Beach Buggy is so reminiscent of the 60s and early 70s, when this kit was originally released. So my example arrived this morning in the post, I pre ordered it from them and here it is, lets take a look at it.
box top artwork
clear vibrant artwork on the box top, unsure if that’s Chichester beach on a sunny day, or a California beach an overcast one.
the parts are secured in a poly bag
bag sealed
some of the parts laid out.
re released kit layout a
closer view of the body shell, seems to be molded straight.
body shell cu
the kit provides two figures, here’s the passenger
female figure close up

the driver figure reminds me of a 1970’s character called Jason King, a sort of cravat wearing private eye type, little bit more 70’s styling than The Saint. Closer to the Persuaders with Tony Curtis and Roger Moore. I think Jason King called everyone Darling.
figures cu
decal sheet

some more of the parts, engine and gearbox.
engine block and gearbox
the exhaust and intercooler pipes
exhaust pipes
rims
wheel rims

1 Like

I’m looking forward to having fun making this cool little kit, It will have a sand base and some splashing water. Wheel spins
box end artwork
on the beach.

So they just repopped it without cleaning up the molds? Round2 they are not.

Hi,

Nice review, l have one on pre order. The figures look better than I expected. The wheels have separate tyres which will make replacement much easier. I also have 2 jags on order.

Regards Jason

2 Likes

I suspect there’s not much wrong with the moulds (they’ve only been run twice before) but it’s the grey plastic they use now which is softening the details a bit. I won’t know until I compare what’s left of a partial kit in the original hard white plastic with the new stuff.

Cheers,

M

If I recall correctly (I built the sucker the week it first hit the shelves) the wheel/tyre components are pretty good; there’s no real need to replace the tyres. You can glue the front and back together, clean up the join and attachment points, paint them “rubber” black as a one component and then the metal parts of the back of the wheel. Then when its time to attach them (which I tend to do last if possible) it’s simply a case of putting the retainer in place, dry fitting it over the axle stub and placing a very small drop of cement in the hole in the retainer. The pre-painted wheel centres should then be a push fit.

The figures are quite nice except they are moulded hollow on the reverse side. This didn’t stop them being the basis for several prize-winning (extensive) conversions back in the day; I seem to recall the lady becoming a running classical Amazon Warrior in one instance.

Cheers,

M.

“I also have 2 jags on order.”
What? Someone’s made a 1/32nd model of John Prescott?
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have an original, and the new release compares well with it

the original was molded in white, the re pop in grey
figures cu

1 Like

the original body tub in white
bugle buggy body
the new one.
body shell cu
they compare quite well, as has been said, the mold tool was under used at the time, last used for the re issue in 79.

1 Like

This looks like a fun build, I’m looking forward to following your progress on the kit and the scene.

Thanks for posting up the sprue shots, valuable info for folks considering purchasing this kit.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing how this builds up.
I don’t often do cars, but I am tempted by this one. The funky driver and passenger look amazing!

1 Like

thanks for passing by Phantom, it’s unusual isn’t it, and a much anticipated release. I wonder what the sales will be like and if, as I suspect they will, outsell stock of the first batch, if Airfix would consider a second batch. Either way, grab yours early. Just in case.

2 Likes

and the new packaging is a lot different when compared to the old, new vibrant colours so distinctive from the original packaging it won’t upset the collectors who paid over £60 + for an original.
original
box art
new release
box top artwork

1 Like

Hopefully my LHS will get a few in. They have a great selection of car kits.
Sometimes see a red one driving around in summer, some lucky person near me owns it!

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I was planning on replacing the tyres because all the built models I have seen they appear to be slicks. Interesting stuff about the figures. I am actually named after Jason King ironically, along with half the boys in my year. Annoying.

Regards Jason

2 Likes

It’s even more fun when you consider chucking the body and turning what’s left into buggies inspired by those from Mad Max 2:The Road Warrior! Most had narrow tyres (sometimes dual on the back) but as I intend to cross-kit with the Airfix Beetle I’m O.K. for one set. Those under-dressed Post-Apoc ladies from MasterBox need their rides…

Cheers,

M

3 Likes

so I’ll share the build on here with you. There doesn’t seem to be a high parts count, but there are a few hitches to get over for a smooth build.
joining intercooler pipe b
the engine goes together first, the intercooler pipe and exhaust, the latter needs drilling out at the end to give that pipe look.

1 Like

the kit, as I mentioned has minimum flash, but the curve of the pipe needs re-defining on the inner curve.
intercooler pipe shaping
the engine and gearbox are best built as an integral part with the rear suspension and chassis as the geometry is vital here as it can interfere with a flush body fit. take note of the angle of part number 22
rear torsion bar plate
on a real one the part 22 should have a downward slant from the torsion bar to the axle.
bump stop fitted left

1 Like

in fact an overall view of my VW Beetle rebuild is handy, you can see the floor pan on the Buggy is a cut down version of the full length model. The floorpan in this view is inverted.
gloss black all over
the rear suspension assembly would benefit leaving off the dampers till later, or rebuilding them as they have massive attachment rings and are too short.
rear suspension
it should look like this
rear torsion bar plate complete diagram

1 Like