AK 3rd Gen and Tamiya thinner

Just got some AK 3rd Gen CARC tan as my usual supplier had run out of AK RC… Has anyone tried 3rd Gen with Tamiya X20A ? I was going to try a small test, but wondered if anyone had taken one for team and tried it yet ??

2 Likes

In my experience, for my Abrams I used the third generation AKs, precisely the CARC TAN obvious haha, as a paint the color is excellent, but the paint is a damn horror, you have to dilute it with its own solvent, under no circumstances with the Tamiya X20A , or leveling thinner, nothing, (They are not compatible) it has to be with its own thinner, with water or distilled water, or it remains very thick or very diluted until you get the point, and above all, control the tip of the airbrush and do not leave it too long spent some time inside the airbrush, as I said, the paints are truly horrible, I personally have ended up hating them, that’s why I switched to the ATOMs that also have the CARC TAN

I leave you a photo of the thinner

2 Likes

Thanks Mel, interesting to know … I usually use AK RC or Tamiya so may try mixing this 3rd Gen with some water and try brushing :+1:

2 Likes

You’re welcome, :slight_smile: :raised_hands: :+1:I like that they help me and I also like to be able to help in any way possible, with water without a problem, these paints have been the worst that I have used, I have used everything Tamiya 10/10, Mr hobby 10/10, Mr color 10/10, ammo mig 10/10, the AK real colors 10/10, but these specific third generation AK paints are bad, they are very thick, you have to refine the mixture a lot and it still causes problems in the airbrush, I hope the ATOM paints perform well, I will try them with the abrams V3

2 Likes

Very helpful. I have these paints to use on figure faces and skin. I plan to brush, but really good to know that water and a wet palette are the way to go and avoid the other thinners. Thank you!

2 Likes

You’re welcome, man, I haven’t tried them with a brush, but with an airbrush they are horrible, on the other hand, their counterpart from Mig Jimenez are excellent, and tomorrow I will receive the ATOM paints to see how they work, they have told me that they are excellent

1 Like

Paint preferences are about as personal as whether or not to put pineapple on pizza. My experiences with AK Gen3 paints have been the opposite. Yes, you have to use their thinner, but they behave quite well.
Thinning them with X20 won’t work because despite Tamiya saying their paints are acrylics, they aren’t really.
Here’s a few examples of what can be done with them.

6 Likes

AK 3rd gen is acrylic paint. AK real color is lacquer.

2 Likes