Ambush camo difficulty

First ever attempt with ambush camo. Since my initial idea got binned because no paint I had will hold up to masking on this model. I was going to do an urban splinter what-if scheme. So now it’s ambush.
Anyway, through an acylic base coat, sanded, another coat of acrylic then masked with blue tac I still have paint pulling up down to the plastic. I’ve never had a model do this before. So it looks like crap for now. The soft edges in the green are areas that will be bordered with brown so will end up a sharp edge in the end - maybe.

I’m considering trying to brush the brown to avoid pulling up any more base paint. I have a bottle of Model Air, or some old Pollyscale acrylics. I feel like the model air will be better with 2-3 coats, it seems like it will leave less brush marks. Any tips?

2 Likes

I used to be a firm believer that acrylic base coats were totally unreliable and would always use a lacquer based grey primer from Ace Hardware (quart can approx $8.00 years ago). Then I tried Badger Stynylrez acrylic primer and use it now almost exclusively. This stuff really bites the plastic or resin and I’ve never had it pull away. You might give it a try. Only bad thing about it is that it can be difficult to clean out of your airbrush. I use cheap lacquer from hardware store to clean my airbrush no matter what paint I spray so I’ve never had any problems with it. Might be worth a try. I’ve used several colors of the Stynylrez and they all go on and dry tuff! Use them on resin figures as well.
Best regards,
Gary

2 Likes

Instead of using tape use paper as your mask. If you have poster tack you can use that under the paper.

I say keep going you can overlap the color over the edges you already have and don’t like.

Do not brush paint next color

1 Like

The last mask was blue tac. I’ll try paper. I’ve also used post it’s with success before just the sticky part but don’t have any right now. I suppose worst case I have soft edged ambush.

The more i look at it the cooler it gets. I now say make the next color look like the one you have already painted!

1 Like

Silly putty (sometimes called ‘Panzer Putty’) is very handy for camo of the style you are painting.

2 Likes

I painted this using Ammo One Shot Primer and Vallejo Model Air yellow and green on top. Masking was with Ammo Masking Putty. It was quite easy.

7 Likes

“Metallic” jar, isn’t that a “can?”
Ken

2 Likes

Or maybe a tin

I’ve found colored “dot” stickers (peel and stick) in the stationery aisle at Walmart. They’re about 1/4 " diameter, and about the right size for 1/35. You can also find dot stickers on-line. You can use them as DIY masks for ambush camo (Hinterhalt-Tarnung). There are masks and stencils available, but this method is the cheapest, and you get to make your own patterns.
:grinning: :canada:

1 Like

Another thought; if you can’t find dot stickers, you can make your own with peel and stick labels, and a paper punch. Post-it notes are impractical as they don’t have a backing, and will turn into one big stuck-together mess as you punch them out! :rage:
:grinning: :canada:

Update:
Silly putty FTW! :trophy:
Fresh from the paint booth :joy: my 3/4 sprayed ambush. I got 3 packs of silly putty today, but of a learning curve to use but worked beautifully with some Model Air nato brown. I’m very stoked now! Will try to finish up the base colors by early next week then the dots. Do y’all think I should touch up the little gaps where the green/brown don’t quite meet? I sorta like it maybe possibly. It looks very grey but I promise it’s green - although grey would work for my original concept of an urban splinter scheme. :man_shrugging:t2: Anyway here’s the pics

5 Likes

Very good results! However I would try to cover the gaps, yes.

And remember to mask a large area, not just a strip… there is some noticeable overspray on the right low area

2 Likes

I agree with @varanusk. Its coming along nicely.

1 Like

Yeah there’s actually a lot of overspray places to fix.

It is looking great. You don’t know how many times i have not got it the way i wanted but it looked good with a little touch up.

1 Like

@varanusk how did you get such clean lines with puddy? Whenever i use puddy the lines come out super hard and even look as if they are riding above the basecoat

Thank y’all so much!
I rolled thin ropes of silly putty then laid it out on the model. Pushed it onto the surface and up to my demarcation between colors. Then filled in behind with larger pieces smashed out flat and thin. That’s all I did.

1 Like

Maybe you are spraying too much paint? Build the color slowly using light layers.
Also the subsequent weathering helps integrating it all.

1 Like

@GEdmonds its coming out great Greg. Really
Love the look of it all!

@varanusk the j you for the suggestion, i think i may have my psi set to high