AMT 67 Mustang Fastback

Yes it is true that I’ve got another Maverick build in the works but I just couldn’t help myself when I saw AMT/ Round 2 come out with their newest re-pop of an old fave of mine. After this whole 262 build I’ve just about made my mind up that the next kit I’ll be taking on will be the latest release of AMT’s '67 Mustang by Round 2. The kit has alot going for it in the fact that there’s updated decals, cleaner molds and pad printed tires.

and I managed to get a small PE fret for it as well…

I’ve been wanting to build one of these anyhow since I owned 3 different '67’s . My last one was my favorite as it had a 351W with a 4spd and 3.55 gears and it just so happened to be the same Acapulco Blue that the fastback on the box top is. Fun car and I had a LOT of fun driving it through the years.

This is the only picture I can find of the engine as of right now and this is in car #2. A 351W from a '69 Mach 1 with 4 barrel heads, Comp Cams 280H cam, MSD Unilite Ignition and a Holley 650 Double Pumper. It also had 11:1 compression. Note to everybody out there that knows anything about cars. NEVER do that on the street. You’re guaranteed to be plagued with detonation problems unless you run HIGH octane fuel all the time. (98 or better). This engine did make this car haul like a scaled assed ape though.

4 Likes

Great to see another classic muscle car hit the boards here, and even better that it’s a '67 ('twas a great year!).

Looking forward to following your build here Joseph, best of luck and please make sure to post plenty of progress reports.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Thanks D! Hopefully I’ll do the ol’ gal some justice!! :grin:

Well …given the fact that I’ve built one of these somewhere around 15 years ago and I remembered that the stance was a nose high look…I decided to do a mock up to check everythign out and it was just what I expected…it has a nose high look to it. I have a spare AMT GT-350 in the stash so I cut the necessary sprues from the trees and mocked everything up just to check. Man…there’s gonna need to be some fancy footwork to straighten this out if I’m going to get this thing to look like 1.) the box top (which is severely misleading if a builder thinks that this kit will build up just like the picture) and 2.) look like I want it to look personally.

On a couple of other notes…

1.) Pay attention to the attachment wheel retainers (that I have marked “R” for rear and “F” for front. They are different sizes meaning the rear retainer has a larger hole for the axle then the front does for the spindle.

2.) The box top shows Firestone Wide Oval Tires and the kit has these Super Sports instead. Not a game changer but hey…put what’s ON the box IN the box. C’mon!!! Same goes for the stance. Just sayin’. KGNEu4

The OOB stance:

3 Likes

Definitely watching this one! An awesome looking car! :clap:

2 Likes

Thanks Russ!

I also found me some BONUS SHOTS of my old car!!! I’m currently doing a bathroom renovation to our master bathroom and needed some tools that were hidden away in the “house toolbox” by my wife. While looking for the tools I found a small plastic box with…a whole load of pictures of my old blue Mustang PLUS a slew of negatives that I’ll be taking to a photo developer here in town to have pictures printed up with. Frickin’ SCORE!!!

Here are those missing pictures of my '69 Mach 1 351W in my '67 while it was under construction. Man…I haven’t seen these things in 10 years. Now…what tha hell were they doing in the dang tool box for? ORSAY9.gif

VWqGpw.jpg

xcgqoA.jpg

3 Likes

Joseph,
This is going to be one insane build for sure. Glad to see that you’re going to be correcting the stance as nose high just doesn’t cut it.

As for your real life 67 'Stang, that’s one power house of a engine for sure. My 1970 302 held it’s own when it had to, but yours is totally in a different class.

joel

2 Likes

Thanks Joel. That 351 woke that car up like no tomorrow. Crazy power…especially for 30 years ago when not everything on the road had 375+ hp. lol

It’s been a while since I’ve posted an update so I thought I’d give one here. The chassis and proper stance has been the topic of building over the course of the last couple of weeks. One of the things that surprised me was the Fords use of red oxide primer on the bottom side of these cars. Never saw any of that on any of mine but hey…by the time I got those cars it was a good 25 years on down the line. lol

Just an FYI. I did end up getting ahold of Round 2 and asking for the proper Wide Oval white lettered tires. I talked to what sounded like a kid on the phone and it didn’t appear that he knew too awful much about the product but was willing to help out. We’ll see what I get in the mail.

Chassis in progress without the exhaust on just yet:

Speaking of exhaust systems, I’ll be starting on that next so I can get the chassis part of this build behind me. One thing I notice alot of times on the bottom side of completed auto builds is the presence of seams on the exhaust pipes. These tend to be overlooked by some modelers so I thought I’d point these seams out on the exhaust pipes in this kit.

This is freshly cut from the sprue so you can still see the sprue attachment point but check out those nasty seams on the exhaust pipes. Those…will be disappearing soon. More updates coming over the next few days on this subject…

4 Likes

Joseph,
Now that’s interesting about the Red Oxide primer. My Mustang was fully rust coated which had a Glossy Black thickish consistency to it. But I never found any Red Oxide when I had to remove that rust proofing in spots.

Excellent point on kit exhaust pipe/systems. I do try to remove as much of the seam as possible, but headers or manifolds can be a real issue to completely remove those molding seams.

joel

2 Likes

I have seen the red oxide on quite a few restored cars. Usually with some overspray, from the body color.

1 Like

Thanks fellas!! Been a little busy around the house and with getting ready for me and my wife’s getaway weekend together. Just gotta chill a little bit together.

Chassis completed…complete with that overspray that you were talking about Hwa-rang.

I have reference shots of what you’re talking about.

6 Likes

Joseph,
the bottom of your chassis looks just like the brother of the real one with the only difference being the color/shade of the side overspray. Just an outstanding build.

joel

1 Like

That looks fantastic. Love the overspray :grin:

1 Like

Thanks Joel!!!

Thanks Hwa-rang!!

I really need to get in here and get caught up on everyone elses stuff. I’ll make that a point tomorrow as it’s getting late for me.

As for now…thanks for all the great comments. Had a GREAT time with my wife just out and about this past weekend with absolutely no demands on our time. Life’s been crazy this year with one thing to do after another and it was sure nice to take a break together.

Now that we’re back home, I am glad to be building on this project again.

This mornings progress. Still need to paint the breather cap on the rocker cover and the alternator bracket is NOT correct BUT… I needed to do something with it to keep it from becoming the “mysterious floating alternator”. I added a bolt head to the front of the alternator to simulate a through bolt into the adjustment bracket. I’m actually good with this as it adds another touch to the engine. Ignition & charging system electrical wiring coming next…

5 Likes

Great progress on this build Joseph, really nice work! I love the underside paint job.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Very nice detailing Joseph. The floating alternator, is always(well almost) a problem. Your solution looks great.

2 Likes