Amusing Hobby Conqueror Mk 1

@Johnnych01 @tankerken @metalhead85
Ze German vay of drifing zhru ze voods, jawohl!

They were evaluating how much of an obstacle a forest
would present to tanks trying to get through.

2 Likes

Hi John,
actually cutting from trees only occured on training areas. Sometimes, when in public terrain, such an exercise first started on an exercise area where vehicles had been decorated, and the vehicles went into public terrain as they were. However, we had to follow strictly public traffic safety regulations, what ment cam nets had to be safely fixed onto vehicles, not flying around, not slipping over windows obscuring drivers view. Natural camouflage like the one on Luchs was more common with Recce units and the infantry (Marder). Your vehicles (Gepard, Fuchs, trucks etc) did never use natural cam, only nets. We were strictly told not to saw down trees or bushes, like you also were advised.

Andreas

2 Likes

Interesting to know all that. We could obviously use dead wood or stuff that had been ripped off and was lying around. Looking back in hindsight… The issue of what sort of cam to use was pretty straight forward really … Anything long term over 30 minutes NTM was full cam up, under that to 15min was battle cam (cam net or thermal sheet over the front) or drive into a forest for overhead cover… 15 or under was mounted ready to go… I was never a fan of any live cam as in reality it doesn’t do much … It only looks good on demos or public shows…

2 Likes

Exactly that was when we also used it mostly. And such demos took place on training areas mostly.

3 Likes

Yes we used our camo nets from time to time

1 Like

Took the words out of my mouth

1 Like

A brief update. Detail painting is taking far longer than it should – on the tank that is. The Champ, being a somewhat complex build, is slow going as some details and painting are inevitably as one goes. All very frustrating when I find I’ve skipped the installation of a vital part; that’s not to blame Accurate Armour, rather my haste and/or inattention to detail.

Anyway, a couple of shots of the Champ, and a scratch-built briefcase for the OC, after all, those reports won’t write themselves!

7 Likes

Great looking work on the Champ- plenty of nice details on show there and the briefcase is a fantastic little addition.

Getting slightly ahead of myself, I’ve been identifying and planning re the figures:

OC figure - to be positioned on the ground in front of the Champ; hopefully to be modified wearing a parka, and with Hornet Head. SNCO Gunnery Instructor at rear of turret “advising” tank commander. Combat Dress and Hornet Head.

Tank Commander although as only head and shoulders are likely to be seen I might just use another torso and save this figure for another day; not quite sure yet. Hornet Head - suitably animated for arguing the toss with the SNCO Instructor perhaps. Champ Driver figure gazing up at the contretemps taking place in the turret whilst enjoying a cigarette. yet another Hornet Head.

That’s the plan; execution? Hmmm…

2 Likes

'Forgot to add - a practice run to refresh the necessary Milliput skills; the modified parka on the Firing Line figure:

5 Likes

Looking great so far Brian. I like the figures you have chosen as well.

Thanks Richard; the Champ has slowed me down a bit, and of course, figures take time too.

I’ll be taking my Conqueror project to a model show tomorrow as a work-in-progress:

I’ll be taking my fairly old Dragon Mk 2 for comparison purposes as well - and also because I haven’t built much lately(!):

9 Likes

See you there :+1:

2 Likes

Well they both looked even better in the flesh! Was great to catch up with you and Pete and to meet @Johnnych01 also. I had a fantastic day and only bought 3 bottles of paint, although after 15 minutes chatting with Mark H, I very nearly succumbed to another Merkava, but managed to resist … I must be coming down with something :worried:

3 Likes

Ditto … Was good to finally meet up and chat … And that Conq does look good up close… Going to be a cracker when finished…
And good luck with those atom sized figures for the command and control build Brian … Very much rather you than me lol

2 Likes

Guys - really great to catch up with you both and also Paul (pod3105) who I used to see regularly at the On Track show, which sadly no longer exists.

Thanks for the Conqueror comments - my enthusiasm for the hobby has just had an immense top-up, which is really I suppose why I go to shows in the first place; as for the microscopic figures, certainly a challenge.

Anyway, a really great show; I’ll link Pete Smith’s show report once I have it.

2 Likes

That’s lookin good, Boots! Huge beast, wow!

1 Like

Do like the munga

1 Like

Thanks Frank; I just thought it highly likely that if any Bundeswehr soldiers were exercising in the same area, they’d go and have a look at the latest British monster trundling along.

3 Likes